Ford F150 Raptor project

haven

Expedition Leader
Several online sources are talking about a Ford project to increase the F150's off-road capability. The program, called Raptor, is working primarily on suspension components. The test vehicles have remote reservoir shocks and twice as much suspension travel. Also mounted are 35 inch tires.

Here's one photo

raptor-1.jpg

More photos on Autoblog
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/29/report-ford-working-on-f-150-raptor/

The Raptor program might be in response to the Dodge Power Wagon, introduced in 2005. It would be great if Ford, Chevy and Dodge decided to compete to see who could make the most off-road capable 4x4!

Chip Haven

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Shovel said:
If those are 35" tires, that's a HUGE truck... and I don't want it.

How about if the manufacturers compete to see who can make the best 1984 4runner for under $20k? I'd actually buy that.
Yeah and that would actualy hold it's value over 5 years too...

The world already has a Raptor, and it's made by Yamaha...

I love the assertion that it would be "...like a Dakar or Score racing truck available to the public..." Yeah Right.

jaacina

2009 Ford F-150

That is just a photo of the 2009 Ford. The Raptor will be based off it. That is what the article states. So it does not have 35" tires.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
jaacina said:
That is just a photo of the 2009 Ford. The Raptor will be based off it. That is what the article states. So it does not have 35" tires.
That makes more sence...

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
It's a good idea to make some extra $$, but you know what's gonna happen........ Some guys with more $$ then sense are going to think they bought a race truck and hammer the thing as quick as they can find some dirt. Do you really think Ford wants to deal with that?

dennisuello

Adventurer
Shovel said:
Race trucks bother me too... why would you put a cargo box on a race vehicle?
What would you race? Where would the spare tires and fuel cell would go? Desert race trucks are not really trucks, as in they have no functional box. Using trucks is more traditional, back when desert racing started, trucks were to most available and affordable platform to build on.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Shovel said:
then why make it look like a truck? I just don't get it. like "nascar" was supposed to be stock cars, right? like, you could go to the dealership and buy what you saw racing... but instead they're tube chassis race vehicles with headlight decals that look sorta like the headlight shape of some actual car, and that's where the similarities end. that's stupid.

the only part that makes sense is if someone just wants to race, and all they got or all they could afford is a pickup truck. cool. but then once it becomes a money sport it's lame again.

This is the second thing we agree on!:wings: I am keeping track... NASCAR is so far gone from were in started…it’s just dumb. (Plus NASCAR owes ME $2,200 I will never see!!!!!) They were a client of mine for 3-4 years.

Now if the Ford Raptor is to go up against the Dodge Power Wagon, that would be cool. I would want more off road than race truck.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Bella PSD said:
Now if the Ford Raptor is to go up against the Dodge Power Wagon, that would be cool. I would want more off road than race truck.

Based on the statements about what will be done to it, the "raptor" will be nothing like the Power Wagon.

haven

Expedition Leader
Bless their hearts, Ford still thinks an off-road performance
truck is a good idea.

F150-Raptor.jpg

Where did the Blue Oval go?

SVT is now involved in Ford's Raptor F150 project. There's
a 6.2L V8 under development for release next year.

Here are two videos showing the Raptor being chased
by a helicopter across the California desert at up to
60 mph.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/31/video-ford-f-150-raptor-svt-storming-across-the-desert/

Hotrod F150s will take a prominent place in Ford's booth at
SEMA, too.

There's an in-depth article on the Raptor at Pickuptrucks.com
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2008/11...aptor-has.html

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I have heard about this thing, and it's not a sticker job. It's the real deal. Still, too bad it's doomed to failure because of the current state of the economy.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal