Ford F550 vs. Ram 5500

djcote

I vote for the F550 all the way.

Around here the Ram 5500s can be had for cheap because they don't sell well. The F550s fly off the lots and they're getting full price for them.

The Ford 6.7 V8 has been getting real good reviews from all my commercial truck customers, very few problem with the new in house engine or trans (most of the trucks stayed the same besides that).
One new feature to research on the new Fords are updated rear leaf springs. They are ALOT longer and have a different rate. The pick ups ride much better and the chassis cabs have a higher GVW.
Also keep in mind the pick up engines and chassis cabs engines are slightly different. Different turbo set ups and engine tunes (all for pick up driveability vs chassis cab longevity)
Two things to keep in mind if you do buy a 550, keep a spare primary fuel filter bowl in stock (plastic, prone to breaking by servicing or rocks on dirt roads) and you'll be doing pads and rotors at 30K miles... sorry, fact of life.

If you do buy a dodge, buy or fabricate a track bar brace immediately. Chrysler and they're infinite wisdom are still making the upper track bar mount (frame side) integral to the frame. Its essentially boxed sheet metal... garbage. I've seen several crack and/or tear off completely from lift kits/tires and bone stock trucks plowing.
Also, as much as I LOVE Cummins in real trucks, this is still a glorified pick up with a medium duty engine crammed under the hood and a boat load of emissions equipment asphyxiating the engine from both ends. There are no more 'half a million mile' engines anymore. Hell, the DPF is only good for 100K ($$$). Sorry... 'nother fact of life.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

And stay away from GM, I won't even start on that topic.

At least you got one thing right here. The Cummins is a MEDIUM duty engine. Most folks do not realize this. Being classified as a MEDIUM duty engine is a fairly big deal to guys who actually DO WORK. The Ford and Chevy diesels are rated as light duty engines.

Yes a boat load of emissions equipment. Everyone has it. Don't knock the manufacturer, its our gov pushing these restrictions on them. Increasing cost and complexity its not by choice so take it easy huh. Rams are designed with the upfitters in mind. DEF tanks don't hang below the frame rails like on other trucks. The filler is next to the diesel filler for easy access. Fill a chevy with DEF? Its up against the fire wall under hood, good luck. Whats DPF only good for 100k?

Too much miss information, one sided opinions and general lack of open-mindedness in this entire thread.

I'll leave you with this... One of these diesel pistons is out of a medium duty Cummins 6.7L straight out of a Ram truck. One is a Ford Powerstroke and the other is out of a Chevy Duramax Isuzu sourced diesel. (both light duty engines)

Which one do you want under your hood?

Attachments

• 20150127_144602.jpg
    20150127_144602.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 36

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I can tell you from working for a Auto group who has five Ford dealerships and five Dodge stores the Ford chassis is way more durable hands down, most who switch to Dodge go back to Ford if they are really hard on their truck. The Dodge chassis does not hold up at worth a crap, suspension plays out a 75k and interior is not even close to the durability of the Ford or Chevy. That being said, the 6.7l Ford engine has proven to be a great engine but is over complicated compared to the Cummings, more expensive to repair and the skill required to work on the Ford engine correctly is an issue, almost like working on a tractor vs. a helicopter. You can buy the Dodge for 10k cheaper than the Ford which is also a bonus, and the fuel mileage is a little better on the Dodge.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
At least you got one thing right here. The Cummins is a MEDIUM duty engine. Most folks do not realize this. Being classified as a MEDIUM duty engine is a fairly big deal to guys who actually DO WORK. The Ford and Chevy diesels are rated as light duty engines.

Yes a boat load of emissions equipment. Everyone has it. Don't knock the manufacturer, its our gov pushing these restrictions on them. Increasing cost and complexity its not by choice so take it easy huh. Rams are designed with the upfitters in mind. DEF tanks don't hang below the frame rails like on other trucks. The filler is next to the diesel filler for easy access. Fill a chevy with DEF? Its up against the fire wall under hood, good luck. Whats DPF only good for 100k?

Too much miss information, one sided opinions and general lack of open-mindedness in this entire thread.

I'll leave you with this... One of these diesel pistons is out of a medium duty Cummins 6.7L straight out of a Ram truck. One is a Ford Powerstroke and the other is out of a Chevy Duramax Isuzu sourced diesel. (both light duty engines)

Which one do you want under your hood?

The size of the piston doesn't really prove the cummins is stronger. Dodge has 6 cyl to get 6.7 liters from. Ford as 8 to get 6.7 liters from. That's all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordGuy1

Adventurer
The size of the piston doesn't really prove the cummins is stronger. Dodge has 6 cyl to get 6.7 liters from. Ford as 8 to get 6.7 liters from. That's all.

+

Old technology, its like comparing my 4.0l jeeps piston to a LS7

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I would like to see an apples to apples 10k cheaper dodge. I price trucks all the time, and usually the Ram is 1k cheaper not 10, from my experience.
I can tell you from working for a Auto group who has five Ford dealerships and five Dodge stores the Ford chassis is way more durable hands down, most who switch to Dodge go back to Ford if they are really hard on their truck. The Dodge chassis does not hold up at worth a crap, suspension plays out a 75k and interior is not even close to the durability of the Ford or Chevy. That being said, the 6.7l Ford engine has proven to be a great engine but is over complicated compared to the Cummings, more expensive to repair and the skill required to work on the Ford engine correctly is an issue, almost like working on a tractor vs. a helicopter. You can buy the Dodge for 10k cheaper than the Ford which is also a bonus, and the fuel mileage is a little better on the Dodge.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I would like to see an apples to apples 10k cheaper dodge. I price trucks all the time, and usually the Ram is 1k cheaper not 10, from my experience.

Then you are getting retailed hard. Chrysler has a stair step program that pays huge money to the dealer for volume, its a lot of cash, it can be 30-70k a month if you hit the upper tier. what does this mean? Dodge dealers will sell a truck for way under invoice, we will sell for 1- 4k under invoice to hit our numbers, Ford, maybe $500.00 off. When you figure the Ford is already 2-5k more at window sticker, 3 grand mark-up up from invoice to MSRP, you can do the math.

djcote

Those pistons are different displacements.....it has nothing to do with how tough they are.

Wow can't slip anything past you blokes. ...

So the massive difference in compression height doesn't make a difference? You cant see the difference in ring size but it is very obvious up close.

The MASSIVE difference in connecting rod size doesn't make a difference? Smaller is just as strong in the world of Ford?

The huge wrist pins compared to the ford and chevy wrist pins has nothing to do with strength? I know its hard to tell in the pic but the pins in the cummins engine are double what Ford and Chevy are building.

These are the differences in a light duty engine vs. a medium duty engine. Pointing out the diameter is different because its a 6.7L V8 and I6 is obvious guys. Seriously. Look at the difference in girth and sheer size, I'm not talking diameter here. Great argument.

The new Powerstorke is supposedly a medium duty engine. I would argue this point. The first ever in the Ford line. Any Ford fan boys want to confirm? Or did you not know this either? It was also designed in conjunction with a company overseas called AVL. Its not an "in house" engine. Like that makes a difference anyway. Why is this a big deal to ford fan boys?
Lots of people can make engines alot better than an OEM. ALOT.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/ford/0910dp_ford_6_7l_powerstroke_diesel_engine/

Go look around and see how many big rigs are running aluminum heads on their diesels. You wont find one. Light duty engines use aluminum heads. These heads head up and deal with heat differently than the iron block they are sitting on. Expanding and contracting at different rates over many cycles allows an aluminum head to warp drastically reducing the life of the engine. Not a big deal for a light duty truck but when your towing massive amounts of weight up grade and head builds I'd rather not have aluminum sitting atop an iron block.

Everyones stories on here are hear say and are pure opinion. I've yet to see facts from anyone. My buddy's shop this my daddy's shop that.... C'mon.

And your right, Chrysler does have a volume program for its dealers. It does promote volume. They have done it for years. Interestingly Ford has recently started doing this for the first time ever. Oh this is new to you? You must be out of touch and living inside your head. Their truck sales have been slowing down and Ram and Chevy are taking bites out of their market share. Ram re-engineered their HD chassis for 2013. I believe you are all basing your opinions on older trucks and are too close minded to take a look and what is currently being put out by other manufacturers.

Fan boys.....

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Wow can't slip anything past you blokes. ...

So the massive difference in compression height doesn't make a difference? You cant see the difference in ring size but it is very obvious up close.

The MASSIVE difference in connecting rod size doesn't make a difference? Smaller is just as strong in the world of Ford?

The huge wrist pins compared to the ford and chevy wrist pins has nothing to do with strength? I know its hard to tell in the pic but the pins in the cummins engine are double what Ford and Chevy are building.

These are the differences in a light duty engine vs. a medium duty engine. Pointing out the diameter is different because its a 6.7L V8 and I6 is obvious guys. Seriously. Look at the difference in girth and sheer size, I'm not talking diameter here. Great argument.

The new Powerstorke is supposedly a medium duty engine. I would argue this point. The first ever in the Ford line. Any Ford fan boys want to confirm? Or did you not know this either? It was also designed in conjunction with a company overseas called AVL. Its not an "in house" engine. Like that makes a difference anyway. Why is this a big deal to ford fan boys?
Lots of people can make engines alot better than an OEM. ALOT.
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/ford/0910dp_ford_6_7l_powerstroke_diesel_engine/

Go look around and see how many big rigs are running aluminum heads on their diesels. You wont find one. Light duty engines use aluminum heads. These heads head up and deal with heat differently than the iron block they are sitting on. Expanding and contracting at different rates over many cycles allows an aluminum head to warp drastically reducing the life of the engine. Not a big deal for a light duty truck but when your towing massive amounts of weight up grade and head builds I'd rather not have aluminum sitting atop an iron block.

Everyones stories on here are hear say and are pure opinion. I've yet to see facts from anyone. My buddy's shop this my daddy's shop that.... C'mon.

And your right, Chrysler does have a volume program for its dealers. It does promote volume. They have done it for years. Interestingly Ford has recently started doing this for the first time ever. Oh this is new to you? You must be out of touch and living inside your head. Their truck sales have been slowing down and Ram and Chevy are taking bites out of their market share. Ram re-engineered their HD chassis for 2013. I believe you are all basing your opinions on older trucks and are too close minded to take a look and what is currently being put out by other manufacturers.

Fan boys.....

1. I'm not a bloke as I'm not british.
2. Interesting, how do yoh explain duramax and power strokes running around with 100s and 100s of thousands of miles with no issues?
3. I honestly don't care as I'll never drive an American made truck or car. Trying to convince me how amazing a cummins is, is pointless and as effective as talking to a wall because I don't honestly care.

gtbensley

Explorer
I won't argue that the cummins may be a medium duty engine. In fact I think the make some very stellar engines and I would love one some day. Yes everything you touched on might be true, the rings, wrist pins and connecting rods. As a whole maybe the engine is stronger then it's rivals but my qualm is that of course on an individual piston and rod make up they will be stronger! Less cylinders to distribute the force!

I have two motorcycles, a fz1 which has four cylinders and 1000cc of displacement. The Pistons are tiny. My other bike is a dr650..... It's a single cylinder 650cc displacement. It's single piston is more the twice the size of two on the fz1.

Both are very very robust engine and reach their intended purposes in a different way. Just like a cummins or other Diesel engine.

chet6.7

Explorer
If I was in Europe,I would be looking at local brands.

Cummins VS Ford and Gm diesels? How many manufactures use the Cummins? The Ford? The GM? The last I looked the Cummins 5.9/6.7 was used by more manufactures than Ford and GM.
Has that changed? If not,why not?

Healeyjet

Explorer
Is the Dodge 5500 as easy to fit 41" tires to as the F550? I understand with the F550 only some sheet metal cutting is required to install 41' tires. Is the Dodge the same?
Ward

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I wish you the best, but to post on here you
don't care", then why would you click or post here?
1. I'm not a bloke as I'm not british.
2. Interesting, how do yoh explain duramax and power strokes running around with 100s and 100s of thousands of miles with no issues?
3. I honestly don't care as I'll never drive an American made truck or car. Trying to convince me how amazing a cummins is, is pointless and as effective as talking to a wall because I don't honestly care.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
I wish you the best, but to post on here you
don't care", then why would you click or post here?

Sometimes it's hard not to get sucked into these discussions. I still stand by my statement that this has more to do with displacement and cylinders than it does the Cummings being gods gift to Diesel engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal