Ford Transit Measurements/Ideas

I'm really considering trading in my car for a Ford Transit and transforming it into a camper van. I'm wondering if anyone has exact measurements of all three sizes from the inside from the back of the front seats to the very back of the van. I would go to a dealer, but I live in a small town and the nearest one is about an hour away and I can find them anu where online. I have a general idea on how I'm going to do my floor plan, but I'd like exact measurements of the inside to see which size will work best for what I have in mind. I would like to do it up like a mini RV with a mini fridge, stove top, sink, bed, and possibly a shower. Any input would be great :)

p nut

butter
You should also consider a truck with a slide in camper, especially if your destinations will include the backcountry. I think it's a more flexible platform, but you do lose the open layout of a van.

Clutch

<---Pass
You should also consider a truck with a slide in camper, especially if your destinations will include the backcountry. I think it's a more flexible platform, but you do lose the open layout of a van.

I sure did like the "idea" of my VW Westy when I had it, though the vehicle itself was a bit barbaric. If cost wasn't an issue...wouldn't mind a modern equivalent. However, by the time you buy the van, do 4WD conversion, add a pop top and build out the interior....not exactly cheap. Then you're stuck with it. Where-as with a truck and camper...way more versatile as you said.

For me I would do a SWB Transit EcoBoost with a poptop to keep it low profile.

Or a Tacoma, perhaps a 1/2 Ton whatever with either an AT Habitat or a FWC Shell model, keep it as simple/lightweight as possible. With the trucks, the 4WD is already done, might have to do a little suspension work, then just toss on a camper.

p nut

butter
Went on a biking trip over the weekend and drove past a Sprinter high roof. We all thought something like that would be awesome. Available 4x4, lots of room inside, and considering the alternatives, not super expensive. I still think the better bang for buck and versatility is in a truck but sure wouldn't mind a Sprinter either.

smugshot_5271755-L.jpg

Last edited:

710m

Observer
If you google Fleet Ford Transit Dimensions there's a pdf with all the dimensions/capacities you could ever want.

Cargo length at floor for 2015 van (all in inches for RWB, LWB and LWB EL): 126, 143.7, 172.2 and at belt level 115.9, 133.6, 162.0

Clutch

<---Pass
Went on a biking trip over the weekend and drove past a Sprinter high roof. We all thought something like that would be awesome. Available 4x4, lots of room inside, and considering the alternatives, not super expensive. I still think the better bang for buck and versatility is in a truck but sure wouldn't mind a Sprinter either.

smugshot_5271755-L.jpg

Those are cool... "roughly" the same price as a stripped down F350 and base model Four Wheel Camper. Though the FWC is already done...where-as with the Sprinter you still have to build it into a camper...

Last edited:

AdventureHare

Outfitting for Adv
From what I gather, the OP will be DD this vehicle too, and to me, the smallest Transit is less intimidating than the other options mentioned, especially if she actually meant the Transit Connect. Also, I don't believe she's after a full up overlander or the need for 4WD, although the conversion is available from quigley for the current non-Connect Transits. I get it, I think.

There are many "live-in vans" on you-tube. I saw one where, time-lapsed, the guy strips a minivan and installs his camper boxes. It was fairly ingenious. Part of the attraction to building your own is that you get to prioritize what inside and what isn't. There's not enough space to compromise.

Showers are difficult because of the vertical space & volume required, the splashing, and (grey) waste water management (capture and removal). I think you'll want to make the space convertible into multiple uses. For example, if you're in the shower, you'll want access to towels, clothes and toiletries, but you don't need your bed or kitchen. Maybe you can put a tub under your bed with a shower curtain that pulls around to control water. Towels and toiletries could be in bins that stack out of the way until needed but are stored in the tub-under-the-bed. (I've done a lot of thinking about such things thinking about trailers and tiny houses. Shower stalls and beds are horrible wastes of space. )

Clutch

<---Pass
From what I gather, the OP will be DD this vehicle too, and to me, the smallest Transit is less intimidating than the other options mentioned, especially if she actually meant the Transit Connect. Also, I don't believe she's after a full up overlander or the need for 4WD, although the conversion is available from quigley for the current non-Connect Transits. I get it, I think.

There are many "live-in vans" on you-tube. I saw one where, time-lapsed, the guy strips a minivan and installs his camper boxes. It was fairly ingenious. Part of the attraction to building your own is that you get to prioritize what inside and what isn't. There's not enough space to compromise.

Showers are difficult because of the vertical space & volume required, the splashing, and (grey) waste water management (capture and removal). I think you'll want to make the space convertible into multiple uses. For example, if you're in the shower, you'll want access to towels, clothes and toiletries, but you don't need your bed or kitchen. Maybe you can put a tub under your bed with a shower curtain that pulls around to control water. Towels and toiletries could be in bins that stack out of the way until needed but are stored in the tub-under-the-bed. (I've done a lot of thinking about such things thinking about trailers and tiny houses. Shower stalls and beds are horrible wastes of space. )

Sounds like a good candidate for a "Camper in a Box"

alp

Hello,
I think I can help with that (as I run a van rental company in Greece ("vanrent.gr")

for mk7 transits (circa 2008-2012 year models) the length of the cargo area for short, mid and long wheelbase is as follows:

250 cm for the SWB
280 cm for the MWB
330 cm for the LWB

please note, this is measuring at the floor; going further up you must "cut" circa 25 cm as the cabin divider protrudes the cargo area.

the width is 175 - 180 cm for all
the width between rear wheel arches is 140 cm

the height is 165 for the mid-roof or 185 for the high-roof (sorry don't know for the low roof)
note that only the low roof is total vehicle height under 220 cm which makes a huge difference in highway tolls, at least in Greece.
those figures are for rear wheel drive vehicles. fwd are taller inside.

hope it helps,

alexis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh