Fording the Cabot Strait - Car Camping in Newfoundland

JJackson

Explorer
John I believe the park in Saint John, if it's the one that is an island is called the Irving Nature Park, though it may have another name, I know the beach on the way in is called Saints Rest. I remember that place before it was a park. Grew up about a 15 minute in land along the Saint John River.

scarysharkface

Explorer
John I believe the park in Saint John, if it's the one that is an island is called the Irving Nature Park, though it may have another name, I know the beach on the way in is called Saints Rest. I remember that place before it was a park. Grew up about a 15 minute in land along the Saint John River.

Yes, that's it. Irving Nature Park. Beautiful little peninsula. We stop there every time.

John

Gregster

Observer
Awesome pictures John, now I see why you missed the Skibum Soiree at Mike's, you were already there :safari-rig:
It looks like seeing Newfoundland with the family would be every bit as much fun as touring it by motorcycle, just different. Opportunities to do trips of this magnitude with teenage childeren don't happen very many times in ones life and like you said they grow up fast. Thanks for taking time to post it up. :coffee:

Greg

Skibum Soiree motorcycle trip report(s) for those interested, with some familiar faces of the people John met on this trip:
http://www.ridetherock.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6136
:bike_rider:

skibum69

See, the Soiree lives on.....Hi john:REExeSwimmingHL:

whew, just skimmed through the whole RR, don't know why I missed it earlier? Sorry. Thanks for the props to my folks, mom really enjoyed seeing you all when you were here, sorry we couldn't hang out more with my pesky work schedule.

cheers my friend, maybe I'll make it down there again one of these days.

Last edited:

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Just read the whole excellent trip report, and it really makes me want to get out of Ontario and head over there!

I share Colin's love for Jack Link's, and had to laugh when you mentioned the smell. The stuff STINKS!! But, oh so delicious! (especially the sweet and spicy)

I love the mildly modded vehicle adventures best, as they seem very real to me. Shows that you don't need oodles of cash and a super-rig to go and have fun.

I only have one question: Did you stop to check on that biker with his bucket on the side of the road? I don't know how it works over there (or in other places), but here in Ontario that (usually) means a biker needs assistance.

greentruck

Adventurer
Thanks for your richly documented report. It's an inspiration, as my wife and I are planning a trip to Newfoundland and Labrador in 2012.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I only have one question: Did you stop to check on that biker with his bucket on the side of the road? I don't know how it works over there (or in other places), but here in Ontario that (usually) means a biker needs assistance.

We stopped and/or did the thumbs up/down thing with anyone we passed who appeared to possibly need assistance. Gotta keep the Karma bank full. Usually people have already made a cell call and are just waiting, but not always!

The folks riding the little Yammi at Mira were frolicing with friends in the vicinity of the pit toilets. There were no indications of trouble.. ;)

John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chubbytaco