Fox Shox Prototypes for the 80 Series

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
A few months ago, we received the word that Fox wanted us to test out some new shocks specifically made for the 80 series Toyota Landcruiser. These new shocks are designed just for our rig and assess the 80 series weight and top heavy side roll. Sorry for not posting up sooner, but i just got around to posting this on the portal.

I can't show you photos because Fox told me im not allowed at this time. They've been working great on each trip. Not a single problem in thousands of miles. The first trip out was 1058 miles through Nevada. A couple hundred of that was dirt and some of it was very remote/rugged. The sway and body roll was reduced significantly over the standard shocks we were running. On the highway i took corners faster than i ever do to test. The 80 stayed flat and more controlled than ever before. On washboard roads and rough highways we felt hardly a thing. Granted we were aired down, but it was plush like never before. The shocks seemed soft, but more controlled if thats a correct definition. Because our truck is so heavy with a trailer and aux tank the rears are going back for some adjustments and then we'll be back out again to test. Im looking forward to the results.

For now here's a photo.. wish i could show you the close up of the shocks but i can't just yet.

foxtesting.jpg

For those wondering what we were running previously for comparison sake. They were ProComp ES4000's. Nothing impressive, but basically long lasting standard grade off road shocks. Comparable to the OME nitros. They were stiff as a board and faded quickly.

Right now there's No firm release date but they're saying within the next month or two. I've been in touch with Fox and i will let everyone know on a firm date and a pricepoint as soon as i know.

The shocks themselves will be Mono tubes first and the resi shocks after SEMA. Our test units are running reservoir's. Hence the reason why i cannot post any photos of them.

Another shot from Nevada.
overlandnevada.jpg

Re-valving them for a little more rebound since we run an aux fuel tank, heavy drawer system, fridge in the 80, dual spares and of course pull the trailer.

foxwork.jpg

And yes, those jackstands look tiny.. but they are indeed 6,000lbs stands. The butt of the 80 is just that big :D

Here's one photo i can share...

The OME damper removed and the soon to be released Fox Shox prototype damper for the 80 series installed. I can already feel a difference in the steering. We've been beating it up on each trip as well. So far it's faired well and seems to tighten up those occasional bump steer situations. Make a nice compliment to the rest of the Fox brushed aluminum shafts on the truck.
foxdamper.jpg

So we just got back from Coyote Flats and the shocks worked really well once again. The truck almost floats over what it needs to while staying controlled.

Next up the SoCal Teardrop Krawler 459 will receive a set of prototype shocks that we'll test. They're in the manufacturing process as we speak and should be to us any day. The idea behind this will be that they will be a trailer option to future buyers that demand more out of their trailers.

That's about it for now, i'll keep you guys posted as i learn/test more and get the trailer shocks installed.

Attachments

• FOXTESTING.jpg
    FOXTESTING.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 38

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I agree that Fox picked the right folks to beat the crap out of those shocks...not to say you are rough on stuff Dave, just that you get out there and play in the dirt for real. Even as hard as you work there are still plenty of trips a year under your chassis :)

VanGo

Explorer
I agree that Fox picked the right folks to beat the crap out of those shocks...not to say you are rough on stuff Dave, just that you get out there and play in the dirt for real. Even as hard as you work there are still plenty of trips a year under your chassis :)

2X. Interested in the front steering stabilizer.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I like the looks of the dampener....been thinking about running a Fox one on my truck.

Dgurley2000

Adventurer
I'd be in for a set as long as the price is reasonable. Since the cruiser has put on weight the body roll and sway has been very noticeable.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Very Interesting. I always debated the Fox for my Tundra. Went with the IVD.
I have been impressed so far with the OME Nitro Sports on my 80. I can only imagine the speed sensitive valving that Fox can incorporate into the 80 series suspension will greatly improve the ride

coax

Adventurer
I believe nearly all shocks sold now a days are speed sensitive. Or at least anything using deflective discs. What would really be the hot ticket is a bolt-in position sensitive/bypass shock. Light valving on the washboard, heavy on the big hits :drool: Not holding my breath though, since its such a small market. What I am most stoked about regarding the fox stuff is the ability to both tune and rebuild. Well worth the extra 100 bucks over OME for a remote res rebuildable shock. I hate throwing stuff out when its a one-time-use deal, like most shocks are now a days.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Very cool Dave, I'll be interested to hear your reports on how you like them as over time. Fwiw OME does build a remote-reservoir shock (OME LTR) but the market experience is small because of the price tag on availability. Those that do run them really seem to like them. Keep us posted!

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Sorry for the slow response as we were just out on a trip.

I believe they're made for up to 4" suspension lift. Not entirely sure, let me get back to you on that.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok, talked to my contact at Fox last night. These shocks are debuting at SEMA this year. You'll be able to see them there and ask questions. Also, i found out that the Lift kits sizes will be OE,2-3,4-6. Hope this helps.

We're still waiting for a component to finish building the teardrop Fox shocks. Once received at that time i'll get them on test and photograph for you guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3