From a TJ to a LJ?

Warhead

Adventurer
I am thinking of trading my TJ in on a Rubicon LJ, I have always wanted more room & a manual(my TJ is an auto). Anyone else go from a TJ to a LJ? was it worth doing? Another plus(to me) is the cost of adding lockers to my TJ would cover difference in price to the LJ(I could get the LJ for what it would cost to add lockers to my TJ, its a rubi so it already has lockers).
What do you think? is there any reason not to?:smiley_drive:

alosix

Expedition Leader
I am thinking of trading my TJ in on a Rubicon LJ, I have always wanted more room & a manual(my TJ is an auto). Anyone else go from a TJ to a LJ? was it worth doing? Another plus(to me) is the cost of adding lockers to my TJ would cover difference in price to the LJ(I could get the LJ for what it would cost to add lockers to my TJ, its a rubi so it already has lockers).
What do you think? is there any reason not to?:smiley_drive:

I can't think of any good reason not to. The LJ's I've driven have enough more room to make it worth it and that few extra inches of wheelbase really makes a difference on the highway.

ddog45

Adventurer
I love my Lj. Its a 2005 rubicon 6spd. Im considering making the move to an jk unlimited. Sell your jeep and buy mine its already built and then I can lose my azz building another rig.:victory:

Last edited:

njjeepthing

Explorer
Have fun finding a LJ Rubicon, I can't seam to find a decent one around here.

I went from a 04 TJ Rubi to a 06 LJ to a JK 2 door and than to a 4 door JK, and than back to a TJ! Now I have an XJ! Yea I know I have issues!:Wow1: My favorite is a toss up between the TJ and LJ Rubi.

4939d3a8.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

DSC_0206.jpg

Warhead

Adventurer
I already found a LJ rubi & it is my favorite color, white but it is 800 miles away:Wow1: I have no problem going to pick it up because LJ rubi`s are next to impossible to find.

njjeepthing

Explorer
I already found a LJ rubi & it is my favorite color, white but it is 800 miles away:Wow1: I have no problem going to pick it up because LJ rubi`s are next to impossible to find.

Yup, the last one I found was North of Boston, a good 6 hour trip each way for us. Good Luck.

406to417

Explorer
If your thinking of doing it do it!I drove across country 4 times wishing the whole time that i had an AEV stretched TJ(Which i couldnt afford) then Jeep came out with the LJ,im so glad that i was able to get one.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I went from a 2003 TJ Rubicon to a 2006 LJ Rubicon. The difference was amazing. The usability of an LJ over the TJ is evident the minute you take it any where. You will not regret the switch. If you have any direct comparison question just post them and I give you my thoughts.

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Another vote for the LJ here,and a few other things to point out that you probably already know. If you are going from a regular TJ to a Rubicon, in addition to the lockers you also get:

4:1 low range in a stronger transfer case
4.10:1 axle ratios (unless it has been modified)
6 speed manual trans (which I find has much better ratio spacing than the earlier 5 speeds)
rear disk brakes
rocker guards (rails) that are actually functional
wider fender flares
16x8 wheels
D44 rear axle and hybrid D44 front axle

I was fortunate to find a 2005 LJ Rubicon 6 speed in April of 2007 with only 7500 miles on it. I drive it every day, and will continue to do so for the forseeable future. It is also going to be our primary expo rig after the kids are off to college (2011).

LJ Rubis are fairly rare especially by today's production standards and were only made for two years. There are only approx. 5800 2005 LJ Rubicons, and roughly the same for 2006.

I sincerely doubt you would regret it.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I had no idea the LJ Rubicons were that rare. Now I am extremely glad I sold my 03 TJ to get an 06 LJ. Just being able to actually put a stroller behind the back seat or even fit all the groceries back there makes all the difference.

Plus now that I have a fridge, I have no idea where I would have put it in a TJ. The Waeco CF25 fits perfectly behind the seat length wise. This is even with a tailgate table installed. In the TJ you would have had to have it sideways and there would have been no room for anything else.

I have never even once thought it would be nice to have the TJ instead of the LJ.

406to417

Explorer
Ive only seen one person that regretted buying an LJ,some guy on pirate4x4 cut his body and frame down to TJ specs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues