From a TJ to a LJ?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I have a '97 TJ and an '05 LJ Rubicon. I mostly agree with previous posts and I'll just add that the LJ is significantly more stable on fast dirt roads. The short wheelbase TJ can be a bit skittish sometimes.

The added space in the LJ is a plus but the trunk definitely isn't cavernous and I give credit to anyone who takes a family of four camping in one without a roof rack!

Cheers,
Graham

BPage

Adventurer
Can someone give me the short version of the different letter designations, years, and features of the Wrangler models? I've always been confused with TJ, LJ, short wheelbase, long wheelbase, etc. :Wow1:

Easiest guide to use I have found is the "Jeep Spotters guide". It is referenced on every Jeep website I have ever been on. Here is a link to the JPEG, but you can google it to find the original link.
http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Photos/Poster/JeepSpotter800.JPG

As for TJ vs. LJ, in reference to expeditionary adventures there is no comparison... LJ hands down:
Better ride over distance, more room, stabler platform, and better interior comfort.

Love my 05 LJ Rubi :)

1x1_Speed_Craig

I have had both a TJ and a LJ. The LJ isn't that much longer.

I disagree. I have an '05 LJ (standard, non-Rubicon), and it's a LOT roomier than a TJ, or any earier model (YJ/CJ).

If you have your heart set on a LJ, definetly go the Rubicon route. They are really nice machines. You should be able to find a stock one with low mileage for $20k.

I rolled off the lot with zero miles for $20,500 (new). :coffeedrink: I know Rubicons will be a premium, but that still sounds high for a 5-year-old vehicle. HERE'S ONE in Michigan (non-stock, though) for $13K.

Craig

sandjunkie

If you're not in a terrible hurry, I might be selling our LJ. My wife decided to exit the work force, effective at the end of this month. The jeep was related to her employment, and without her income, it is very likely I will not be able to take over the payments. I'm considering all options fiscally right now, including changing jobs myself. Without her working, many things will change, but its too early to have it figured all out yet. Our Jeep has 18,000 miles on it, and it's well built and highly capable. It does not look or feel new however. Those 18,000 miles include a lot of fun trails.

That Sux. Good luck in whatever you decide.

LUISJG

Explorer
Just found one 2006 ,white 54k miles ,hard top, stock
hiting the road in a while ,will pick it up in the morning.

tweenerlj

Adventurer
Maybe they towed it a lot behind an RV? Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think the speedo/odometer operates when being flat towed.

You are mistaken. As long as the key is just turned to the first click (to unlock the steering wheel), the odometer will not be powered or accumulate miles while being flat towed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater