Front Axles

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
This is not plug and play for sure, but this is my favorite SAS. http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102614

I once saw a sprung under 89-95 pickup SAS. I thought that was awesome because it was lifted just enough to fit 33s and it still had a solid axle. I think he used a LC axle for it, but it may have been a leaf-sprung early 4runner/pickup axle. it was cool though.

I have been thinking about doing a SAS for about 3 years now, and every which way I look at it I just can't justify dumping 25% of my yearly salary into something I don't think I need. Plus, for the cost of doing a SAS on a tacoma, you can buy a SASed 89-95 pickup that is already setup. Then you have a toy and a taco for daily driving. :wings:
Hardest part of keeping an SAS low is that the SA trucks around the world and 85 and earlier here had a frame that raised the motor and oil pan to clear the axle under up-travel. The frames theselves have a sort of hump to them that the IFS trucks don't. What I keep thinking would be the schnitzel would be to put my VERY clean 89 body on an 84/85 frame. the only thing I DON'T like about SAS's is all teh lift. Right now my truck is about as tall as I wat it before I move to bigger tires.

Cheers

Dave

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
It is possible that the '84-'89 2WD truck frames have the same side profile as the LA trucks. I had a conversation with a guy who makes trick 4 link SAS kits for these trucks and he said that he'd been told that they were the same, but had not had the opportunity to confirm it. I happen to have a sample of each, and I've yet to really look at it too.

xechcorx

I've building a pseudo Radius setup on my pickup. I've got an 84 xtra cab with a 4BT / T-18 / D300 driveline, and the oil pan is just below the frame rails. The
front axle is a Mini axle with all the common braces and gussets that are installed. Thats not relevant to this discussion, however.

I've got a "link" system comprising of a Track bar on one side and a single link on the other. It started as a dual ladder bar setup on both sides however when I placed the links as far out as possible on the axle and mounted the other ends to the bottom of the frame rails, it creates a slightly triangulated ladder bar setup. The problem I found is triangulated ladder bars will not flex. I somehow missed this principle after all of my reading. So if you do go with a ladder setup make sure they are not triangulated :victory:

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow to give a better concept of what I did. The trucks still in the build-up. I need to order front shocks currently....

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
It is possible that the '84-'89 2WD truck frames have the same side profile as the LA trucks. I had a conversation with a guy who makes trick 4 link SAS kits for these trucks and he said that he'd been told that they were the same, but had not had the opportunity to confirm it. I happen to have a sample of each, and I've yet to really look at it too.
I thought I had read that somewhere too. Let us know eh.

Cheers

Dave

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Found some hearsay that wants to confirm this.

"a 2wd frame is very very similar, and dimensionally exact to a 79-85 toyota 4wd frame. "

Quote of a quote of a post:
"I also traced the frame rails from the 85 4runner onto to some cardboard and then compared that to the 85 2wd frame rails. Well heres the proof, they are identical!!! In 86 Toyota must have lowered the Frame rails for the IFS 4wd rigs. I'm pretty sure they kept the high rise frame rails on the 2wds until they switched to the taco frames in 95."
(Internally linked link goes to that black hole of civility.)

There was some speculation that the 2WD frame is not as strong as the 4WD frame. If the profile is the same, then for the 2WD frame to be less strong it would need to either be narrower, or to be made of thinner metal. More on that later.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Found some hearsay that wants to confirm this.

"a 2wd frame is very very similar, and dimensionally exact to a 79-85 toyota 4wd frame. "

Quote of a quote of a post:
"I also traced the frame rails from the 85 4runner onto to some cardboard and then compared that to the 85 2wd frame rails. Well heres the proof, they are identical!!! In 86 Toyota must have lowered the Frame rails for the IFS 4wd rigs. I'm pretty sure they kept the high rise frame rails on the 2wds until they switched to the taco frames in 95."
(Internally linked link goes to that black hole of civility.)

There was some speculation that the 2WD frame is not as strong as the 4WD frame. If the profile is the same, then for the 2WD frame to be less strong it would need to either be narrower, or to be made of thinner metal. More on that later.
Nice find... The plot thickens eh :sombrero: .

Cheers

Dave

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I should have mentioned that I found those in looking for info on IFS steering box placement in a cross-over steering conversion. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater