Front coil-overs

downhill

Adventurer
I think the CO manufacturers have the valving for these trucks pretty well dialed in. Most of them end up pretty close in weight in the front after the usual mods. My Fox 2.5s are spot on, and they have absolutely transformed the ride and handling of the truck. The preload on the spring is adjustable of course and that is a huge benefit. It allows for precise ride height adjustment and compensation for sag over time.

It was one of the first things I did to my truck. Both the front and rear factory suspension on these trucks are junk IMO. Barely even usable for street driving.

o84runner

Observer
might consider Radflo co's I've been running these for some time now .Had stock then ome now radflo . happest witn these great ride on street and off road.I dont do high speed runs,just rock,mud ,trails etc.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have the ultimate kit and like it a lot. Any high end rebuildable will need a rebuild before a sealed non rebuildable unit would need replaced. For your application those would be overkill.

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
Don't forget about spring rates on your replacements. I replaced my stock TRD set with ICONs to support the weight of my ARB bumper and winch. If you plan on upgrading your front bumper, adding dual batteries, or adding more forward mass you will need heavier springs, not just adjustable coil overs. It's cheaper to get the heavier set now if you plan to upgrade later.

AxleIke

Adventurer
I think the CO manufacturers have the valving for these trucks pretty well dialed in. Most of them end up pretty close in weight in the front after the usual mods. My Fox 2.5s are spot on, and they have absolutely transformed the ride and handling of the truck. The preload on the spring is adjustable of course and that is a huge benefit. It allows for precise ride height adjustment and compensation for sag over time.

It was one of the first things I did to my truck. Both the front and rear factory suspension on these trucks are junk IMO. Barely even usable for street driving.

The aftermarket shocks are okay, but they are a universal fit application, designed to work pretty well for everyone. Building a truck and then dialing the valving, spring rate, etc, for the specific vehicle is a huge amount of work, but a lot of benefit IMO.

As for ToyTec, the ride is good from their kit, to be sure, but it isn't better than OME by any means, and the fact that the coil spring is too fat, and binds up in the upper control arm, is an irritating feature and because of that, the OME kit is better for the third gen 4runners and similar year tacomas. It makes a really nice popping sound when the thing binds up. Which happens all the time offroad. Once you know what it is, you aren't worried about it, but the first time it happens, it gets you wondering what you broke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__