Front Runner Featherlite RTT

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Hello all,

Tried to search to see any reviews about how the FR RTT compares to others. Does anyone have first hand experience with this tent?

The footprint of the tent collapsed is what really attracted me to this model, my google skills turn up nil as does the Expo search. If someone can point me to a review or the like would be fantastic.

-Andrew

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
You might check with Paul @ Equipt Expedition Outfitters (equipt1.com) as he is very knowledgable about the Front Runner product line and has spent time at their facility in South Africa.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Thanks cruiseroutfit, ill see if he has a contact at that web site. Just want to make sure they are similar in quality to the big boys, much appreciated.

-Andrew

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Hey AxeAngel,

Thanks for the links. Paul responded with a wealth of information that I have asked to repost here to benefit those who would have the same question. As soon as I get an OK ill post it.

Long story short, Im in Raleigh NC after being in the US since 94. Before that I living in Zambia for 10 years. Of course moving to the US, I already missed the bush.

Since I grew up there (was in my teens for the duration), Ive been slowly trying to get back in to the swing of things as time and money allow.

Finding this forum has been great, especially reading some of the "expeditions" that some members have undertaken.

compactcamping

Explorer
Andrewh, I’ve had one for a month or two now that I’ve been evaluating, here are some initial impressions. First so there is no confusion, FrontRunner is a South African company, their tent units are made in China.

Here are a few key size comparisons:
Weight: FrontRunner 89 lbs, Mombasa(std) 112 lbs (w/ ladder, from actually weighing them)
Width: FrontRunner 51”, Mombasa(std) 56 1/2"
Height closed: FrontRunner 7 1/2", Mombasa(std) 10” (not including ladder)

The platform design, tent body attachment method, ladder and travel cover are basically the same as a Mombasa. From there, you start to see some differences.

feather-lite-rtt-1.jpg

The first difference you see is window design. I like the side window design better, it allow for unobstructed viewing. Unlike the Mombasa, it does not have zip open screens on the side windows.

A nice feature is their ventilation panels at the peak of the roof to control condensation. In initial testing, they help some, but it looks like a low flow fan would be necessary to get enough air exchange for complete condensation control. In warm Summer weather, you could remove the fly and use the ventilation panels for star gazing.

feather-lite-rtt-2.jpg

Instead of two sets of bows, an inner and outer, like on a Mombasa, it uses a single set that passes thru holes in the roof then supports the fly. Overall this design works well. One detail that bugs me, is the material wrapped around the poles at the ceiling to create a bug seal. It is held in place with tie wraps that were cut off at an angle, forming a sharp point that might snag the tent body fabric. I trimmed them flush and will be making velcro wraps from them.

The fabric is a waterproof coated nylon. The overall sewing quality is good, although as with Mombasa’s you’ll find stray threads that need to be trimmed. In initial raining testing, water beads up very nicely and the fabric absorbs no moisture. Although they have not leaked, there are some pin holes from sewing that will most likely need to be seam sealed. The fly has been seam taped, although the velcro attaching straps that were added after taping have pin holes that need to be seam sealed. From some light wind, the fly design appears to have less flapping noise in wind than a Mombasa

Inside with the lower closed profile is a 2” mattress. I’m about 160 lbs, I get a good nights sleep on it. Heavier folks might want a thicker mattress. The mattress is a two piece, double fold style. Unlike the Mombasa, the mattress doesn’t go all the way to the ends. With the lower profile, this gives extra space for leaving pillows and such in the tent when closed. There is also room for light weight sleeping bags inside when closed.

feather-lite-rtt-3.jpg

It has storage pouches on the inside, although the way they are sewn into the side of the tent body, I wouldn’t put much in them.

One nagging quality control item that the FrontRunner tent suffers from just like all the other Chinese tents I’ve seen are aluminum fillings floating around inside. This seems like such an easy thing to resolve, grrrr.

On the current batch there is a minor problem with the side fly / awning poles that is a customer side fix. The two side spring poles are slightly oversized and need two flats filed on them to fit correctly. Takes less than a minute to remedy with a grinder, about five minutes with a hand file.

If lightweight, lowest possible profile and/or very good ventilation are high on your list of priorities in a rooftop tent, give the FrontRunner tents a look.

andrewh

/dev/4wd
compactcamping, great review...

Below some might find helpful from Paul at Equipt1.com, two emails are attached, ive snipped what I would think is the most helpful for people.

"<SNIP>
There are many roof top tents on the market in the US, and each will work fine in certain parameters. If you are one who would use a roof top tent several times a year, then a tent such as the Featherlight would be a good choice. If you plan to use your tent more extensively, then I would suggest looking at the higher end units. The phrase "You get what you pay for" is particularly true with regard to roof top tents. The materials and craftsmanship of the tents at this price point will be lower than those of an Eezi Awn, but not everyone needs a roof top tent to tour the world in. I do not offer the Featherlight on our site. I don't believe it is of a level that my customers are looking for. You can see more on the Featherlight on the Front Runner Outfitters site at www.frontrunneroutfitters.com.

If you are a more frequent user, I would be happy to talk the merits of an Eezi-Awn tent with you. We can discuss you camping trends and find a model that is suited to your tastes. Please let me know if I may assist you in that direction.

thanks again.

Paul May"

Second email after asking to post and

<SNIP>
The 1200 model actually comes out to about 48x48, so you would be plenty short of your length requirement. It is a bit narrow though. Roughly the size of a twin bed or a two man ground tent. Really great for one big guy like myself, or two people that really like each other. I would suggest the 1400 model for two people. It is a good size tent, and gives you some room. I had one on my 100 Series for several years and loved it. The 1400 is about 55" in total width, and 48" long when folded. All the models are 48" when folded and 96" when open. The extrusions on the bottom of the tent are inset a ways. I believe the measurement is just over 39" on center for mounting. So a 41" wide rack would be just about right.

The materials that tents are made of varies greatly. The lighter duty tents are made of a nylon material, coated for weather protection. The heavier duty tents like the Eezi Awn are made of a heavier 4 season cotton poly blend rip-stop canvas. The reason for the heavier material is that breathes, where the coated material does not. And the roof top tent feels all the abrasion that the vehicle does. It tends to wear out the materials quite quickly. The coatings on the lighter tents are also subject to UV weathering that the Canvas material doesn't see. The hardware, covers, platforms, extrusion materials, ladders, zippers, mesh, etc. all come into play as well. Each one is differentiated by the quality and craftsmanship that goes into their construction. Eezi-Awn has withstood Arctic at -47, and the Sahara at 130 degrees. It is the professional choice around the world.

Here is an analogy that I tell folks about the roof top tents. If you are in the market for a sedan with leather seats, you can by a Kia or you can buy a Mercedes. Both are sedans with leather, and will go over the ground in much the same way. But there are a lot of reasons why the Mercedes costs more than double the Kia. The choice is yours.
<SNIP>

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Just to update the thread, I decided to go with the ARB tent. Ordering from a local arb dealer. One question is I heard there is a third "rev" now for the simpson 3... Does anyone have a part number if indeed there is a third rev?

The part number quoted was

TENT-ARB3101US ARB3101US ARB3101US ARB Touring Roof Top Tent

I have an email to arb usa asking the above.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Just to update the thread, I decided to go with the ARB tent. Ordering from a local arb dealer. One question is I heard there is a third "rev" now for the simpson 3... Does anyone have a part number if indeed there is a third rev?

The part number quoted was

TENT-ARB3101US ARB3101US ARB3101US ARB Touring Roof Top Tent

I have an email to arb usa asking the above.

If your tent is being drop shipped from the next ARB shipment it will be the most recent rev.

18seeds

Explorer
buy it from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitter. He'll be competitive on price and is the most knowledgeable of all the "versions" of the ARB SIMPSON III

I'm definitely resurrecting this old thread, but I'm looking at purchasing a Featherlite. Is anyone currently using one that has any additional info/photos/etc?

Streaky

Observer
Myself and a friend took our 4x4's to Morocco earlier this year for a three week touring holiday. He has the FR Featherlite on his Defender 90. It's mounted to a Front Runner roofrack using their own 'Quick Release' mounting brackets.
It's a great little tent and pretty sturdy although in high winds the Fly Sheet had a nasty habit of lifting the support bars out from their sewn positions. After a few nights of this happening he removed them and preyed for clear sky's with no rain!
He's had it for two years now...the overall condition is still pretty good since it gets alot of use but he's not going to replace it with the same...next will be the more robust Autohome Aircamping.

Edited to add. I found a picture of him removing the two poles that I spoke of.....in high winds they lift out of the sewn pockets...not a good design but you can use straps to tie them down I suppose.

Attachments

• Morocco By Nissan 2015 349.jpg
    Morocco By Nissan 2015 349.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk