Front Runner Full Roof Rack Installed on 5th gen 4runner

Danielf

Observer
Yes I too am waiting for Uncle Sam to return my money so I can get a FR rack but really want a full lengther like this. If you don't mind me asking what was the price diff between this and the shorty?

Taco04

Toyota Junkie!
I doubt they will ever build a full length rack. I have the normal rack and have called them twice about this and both times they told me they are not going to build it due to the fact that there are no real mounting points on the front. Yet don't let the size of the rack fool you ( That sounds bad I know lol.... ) the design lets you bolt almost anything on it and the table storage underneath is perfect for setting up camp quickly.

Last edited:

Binkie

I am surprised your fuel economy didn't change. Mine dropped about 10-15% after installing the ARB rack, but it is not as low profile, and I do a lot of freeway driving with bad winds, at fairly fast speeds. Looks good!

Spixelz

Adventurer
I spoke with Front Runner and American Overland yesterday. Yes, FR has no intentions of building a full length rack, but you can still buy the parts you want and do it. American Overland can make the front brackets, they just need your rig for about an hour. If I was closer I would be on it!

Spixelz

Adventurer
My biggest issue with Gobi. Is its poor use of space and lack or adjustablity in the cross bars. I put my RTT on mine and that's pretty much it. No room for boxes or other gear.

K9 is a pretty good option, been eyeing it pretty closely. What I don't get is why Frontrunner can't use a similar setup as K9

Danielf

Observer
Yeah me too. Idk without seeing it in person it looks useless cause it's so short and almost disproportional looking. I'll have to see if they show at overland expo in flagstaff this year.

Danielf

Observer
My biggest issue with Gobi. Is its poor use of space and lack or adjustablity in the cross bars. I put my RTT on mine and that's pretty much it. No room for boxes or other gear.

K9 is a pretty good option, been eyeing it pretty closely. What I don't get is why Frontrunner can't use a similar setup as K9

I agree. I had a ranger rack on my hummer. Even without a RTT, once you mount a box or two up there, that's it. You're pretty limited.

Ducmonsta

Observer

I agree. I had a ranger rack on my hummer. Even without a RTT, once you mount a box or two up there, that's it. You're pretty limited.

If you mount an RTT to any rack you lose cargo space. I'm still able to put an action packer in my sunroof insert in front of the RTT. I also had my Gobi fabricated without the cross bars and expanded steel flooring across the whole thing.

Spixelz

Adventurer
If you mount an RTT to any rack you lose cargo space. I'm still able to put an action packer in my sunroof insert in front of the RTT. I also had my Gobi fabricated without the cross bars and expanded steel flooring across the whole thing.
I would of ordered my Gobi with adjustable cross bars, but I bought my rig with the Gobi already on it. I may find a fab guy to build me another set that are movable.

Stifler

Observer
THIS, GOBI will work with you...... but your 3 month wait turns into 6 lol

Spixelz

Adventurer
THIS, GOBI will work with you...... but your 3 month wait turns into 6 lol
Not only that but Gobi's rack isn't as wide as say the Front runner rack, I may still look into Front runner down the road but for now I am just going to figure out another solution to mount my tent a little further back.

Personally, Gobi's racks should come normally equipt with adjustable cross bars or at least sell bars like they do for their Jeep racks.

KRP

Observer
This is fantastic. I was just looking at my FrontRunner Rack the other night on my 4th Gen and was thinking I could just order up some extra parts and extend it further. Right now, I have a Tepui Autana on the rack, and there is only about 8 inches left up front for gear. I really like what you've done here.

Taco04

Toyota Junkie!
Here is a picture of the Frontrunner rack on my Runner. It's longer than the factory rails by a bit and is a lot wider than most racks, since it's taller for under side storage I can understand why they keep it this length. The one point I really like about this rack is it uses stainless for the mounting points. Living less than a mile from the coast I have seen more than my fair share of of roof racks rusting away causing vehicles to deteriorate just that much faster. This was the number one selling point for me at the time but after actually using the rack I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk