Front Seat Dog Covers

Corneilius

Adventurer
Does anyone have a decent solution for short term seat covers? My dogs sleep in the driver and passenger seat when we camp. They are usually covered in mud/have nails that I should have trimmed already and so I fear for my comfortable leather seats.

We have been tucking towels into and around the seat bottom, but these end up getting pulled off. What I'm looking for is a "shower cap" for my seat bottom.

simple

Adventurer
We just use the cheapo waterproof ones from cabelas. They only last a couple years before you have to replace them. The current pair is pink camo. Got to love the bargain cave.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Here's my opinion, and recent brainstorm brought on by this thread. I'd skip the aftermarket stuff when it comes to Pooch protection. There's a lot that will get the job done, but just about everything I've either used or checked out wasn't very dog friendly. Most of the materials used are like ice for my dogs. They can barely sit up without their feet slipping out from under them. It's a constant battle I can tell they don't like, to the point they don't much enjoy the ride.

I'm going to a leather shop and have some basic covers made. Pretty much a top for the seat bottom and a front for the seat back. Imagine laying your towel down, except made out of leather, and with straps to hold it in place. Same thing for the seat back.

Someone makes this basic configuration except out of canvas, which again is like ice, at least the versions I've checked. Leather seems to be ok for them and it's plenty durable and easily cleaned.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
We use wool seat covers. They're toasty warm and durable for both people and the dogs. They wont hold up well against mud, though i doubt anything will keep muddy dogs comfortable. The mud itself is inherently cold.

We bring stacks of dog towels and the dogs always get a shakedown towel bath before heading into the rig. We have short hair dogs so its relatively easy.

Corneilius

Adventurer
Now I'm thinking about making my own, find a durable material and sew on velcro and put corresponding velcro pads on the seat base. Really only need protection for the seat bottoms, and something I can easily remove and shake out is key.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Now I'm thinking about making my own, find a durable material and sew on velcro and put corresponding velcro pads on the seat base. Really only need protection for the seat bottoms, and something I can easily remove and shake out is key.

And wash. Washing is critical to keep the smells down!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL