Front sway bar disconnects

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Are front sway bar disconnects a good idea? Jeepin by Al is having a sale and seems to be a good price. Not sure if I need them on my 04 Kj.

bat

Explorer
It all depends on the your driving habits. I have a cherokee with a lift,tires and so on with disconnects but I tend to take it on pretty rough stuff. It does allow the front tire to stay on the ground for better traction on rocky and rough terrain. If you are just running fire roads and trails rated at 3 and under I would say no.

KSJeep

Explorer
Disconnects made a big difference on my Wrangler as far as traction and ride when off roading. Even fire roads and less traveled roads have some challenging areas which could benefit from disconneting.

CRD4Liberty

There was a post about disconnects on the front of the KJ in LOST a few years ago. The front suspension on the KJ really is not designed to go without the bar. Serious safety problems were noted there on LOST. Also they are very noisy suckers and rattle to beat the band.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I was on LOST and a few people said it was not a good idea on the Kj. I think I'll hold off for now and see if I need it later on.

phxtoad

Adventurer
The JKS disconnects had issues - I think with being loose/noisy. Not sure if Marlon (JBA) is still selling those or others now.

I know you get some more articulation - but not much more than with the sway connected. In my opinion, our front ends need as much support as possible when off road. So I'd elect to keep the sway attached. Plus think how stable you'll be drifting sideways rally-style at 90 mph in the dirt! :)

Todd

ox4mag

Explorer
I was on LOST and a few people said it was not a good idea on the Kj. I think I'll hold off for now and see if I need it later on.

Yep, didn't realize we were talking about the KJ (my fault) but it's true: It's not particularly a good idea for that particular platform. An excellent resource here at ExPo would be Wil @ Sierra Expeditions. He has a very nice KJ overland setup and he may have some good suggestions complimentary to what's on L.O.S.T. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk