Frontrunner Fetherlite RTT

Are there any current and well rounded reviews on the Frontrunner Featherlite RTT? I found an old thread on this board, but its reviewing previous models.

LOMartin

I have one, let me know if you have any questions.
i used it as a home as I traveled around the U.S. for a month; from 109* to 30'ish, rain, sun, no snow yet.

Bryan_FRO

Supporting Sponsor
I have one, let me know if you have any questions.
i used it as a home as I traveled around the U.S. for a month; from 109* to 30'ish, rain, sun, no snow yet.

Awesome setup! Send us some cool shots of the gear while on the road!

Bryan
Front Runner Outfitters

Streaky

Observer
Me and a friend have just completed a three week trip around Morocco using his Front Runner featherlight. The only issue that annoyed him was that during windy evenings the wind would get between the outer fly sheet and the inner tent and lift the support poles out from the sleeves that they sit in.
Because we didn't see a single drop of rain through out the trip he ended up removing the outer fly sheet and just used the basic inner tent. If weight is a concern then the feather light is around 25kg lighter than the rest of the tents in the same class....and they're built to spec in South Africa which puts them head & shoulders above the Chinese made roof tents.
Great bit of kit if the Pagoda Style tent is what your after.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
saying the fact that they are built in south Africa makes them better than china is a pretty unintelligent thing to say.

Where is that iphone or android of yours made? not in south Africa.

Im sure The quality is amazing, just like the other stuff I have from them. But lets not be outlandish here and make unsubstantiated statements

saying the fact that they are built in south Africa makes them better than china is a pretty unintelligent thing to say.

Where is that iphone or android of yours made? not in south Africa.

Im sure The quality is amazing, just like the other stuff I have from them. But lets not be outlandish here and make unsubstantiated statements

Don't think it was unintelligent at all. I think it is pretty common knowledge around here that most of the South African products from these guys, National Luna, Howling Moon, etc exceed the quality of their comparable Chinese counterpart.

Comparing electronic tech products with RTT's is a pretty dumb comparison. I will continue to write this on my IPad but when I go down in the basement I will use my quality American made tools over some cheaply made Chinese junk.

Don't compare apples and oranges.

Streaky

Observer
Freshlikesushi....hmmmm......I think you need to get some real life experience from behind that keyboard of yours LOL.

surferdude78

Observer
From what I've been told they aren't made in Africa but in China from the same supplier making Tepui, CVT, Ironman, GordiGear, etc..

jessejman

Adventurer
Old Thread but useful information:

I have one and have logged well over 100 nights all over the US in all weather conditions over three years.

Advantages:
-lightweight

Other than that I have no experience with other RTTs and can't give a good comparison

Disadvantages:
-lightweight - It is smaller and may not be as sturdy as other tents but I think the lighter weight pays off. I can put this on top of my lifted LC alone. It's not fun but I can do it. The less weight on the roof, the better. I've been slowly learning this lesson but I carried too much up top on a TAT trip and didn't like the tippiness up in the Co. mountains.

Positives:
-lightweight
-vents really well especially with the rain fly removed but can also be closed up tight for colder nights
-decent quality but definitely made in China, not S.A.
-stainless and aluminum hardware but that should be expected
-decent cover that's held up to some tree abuse
-still keeps water out well and I haven't had to retreat fabric or seams yet

Negatives:
-quality is only mediocre:

-fabric is pretty nice for what it is but stitching sucks. Lots of loose threads from factory and even stitched over zippers in some areas requiring work from the very beginning.

-aluminum floor is thin and weak. It has sagged 1/8-3/16" between the structural beams in the floor where the aluminum covers the foam.

-from the factory there was pipe insulation at top of tent poles I assume to keep bugs out where the poles ran from inside tent to outside tent. This small bit of insulation was held in place by zip-ties cut with sharp tails. These tails eventually wore and frayed the fabric while the Cruiser was in motion. I find this just plain stupid. I fixed it but damage was done.

-the tent uses velcro tabs around the poles to keep the inner tent body up. The tabs on the sides tend to slide off the pole and let the inner tent 'fall/sag.' I had to tape them in place. The stitching on these tabs takes a lot of use and has held up but I noticed a long time ago that I will end up repairing or reinforcing this area.

-the metal bows that keep the corners of the tent fly taught no longer keep it tight enough to prevent water and snow pooling over the doorways of the tent. Heavy snow causes failure of the fly and bends the poles, water is not quite so destructive but if you forget to empty the pool of water above your head before heading down the ladder, you're getting a cold shower.

-the bows on the side of the tent are just stupid. They aren't long enough to have any tension and I still have no idea how they were intended to be used - I just made up the best way that seemed to work and have kept at it. Yeah, no directions though I guess I could have called.

-zipper on the cover tends to snag the tent body. The corners have snagged enough to wear the fabric but that could also be due to my 7, now 10 year-old helping me. I have to do it very carefully so as not to catch tent fabric.

-when folding tent up after use, you have to stuff the side of the tent in, they poof out during closing. Not a big deal and common with other tents but still a PIA.

-mattress gets very wet on bottom from condensation but this also is common with RTTs. I want to try to use roofing ridge-vent cap to raise mattress and add breathability but haven't tried yet. The mesh underlayment is just too expensive for me.

-where the ladder rests in transit is causing damage to the aluminum skin of the tent. I will have to reinforce it soon to keep the metal on metal contact from wearing through the thin sheet.

-the tent is very loud in wind but I would guess this is true for most RTTs. On two occasions the gusts were so great that I had to close it up and sleep on the ground. The wind was just going to break it. I'd put the gusts at 40mph+.

Mods:
-other than taping the velcro inner tent body support/hanger thing
- clothes hanging line
- ladder extension which you will need if you have any kind of lift on your vehicle
-I plan to try to tighten up the fly fabric to reduce the pooling effect above the doors when it rains. I'll do this either by tightening where the fabric attaches to the tent base or by making new,
longer bows that hold the fly out.

Attachments

• IMG_4065.jpg
    IMG_4065.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4043.jpg
    IMG_4043.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4044.jpg
    IMG_4044.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_4045.jpg