Fuel capacity

racingjason

Adventurer
I have been looking at options to increase the fuel capacity on my SIII Dormobile from the rather stingy 15 imp-gal (68L). Because the under-seat areas hold the propane tanks on one side and the auxiliary battery on the other side, I don't have the option to use the factory front tanks. I have been looking at the 48L wheel arch pod tank but I wanted to get some opinions on them. (Here is an example: http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php?page=76)

Does anybody know if these tanks will fit in a Series III?

Thanks,
J

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Boomer has 2x20 gal onboard tankage and eventually I'll be carrying an additional 15g on the rear swing-out. At 14MPG avg I can currently get about 500 miles before it is time for a refill. I don't usually let either tank get much below 1/2 before I start shopping for diesel...

Spence

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I carry 69 gallons in the tanks. Since I have so much capacity, I don't normally carry any jerry cans. Prolly about 1000 miles range. Not too bad for a Landcruiser.

My Ford F350 7.3L TDI gets about 18 - 20 MPG, and I am planning a serious upgrade in fuel capacity for the truck. Would like to have 1500 mile range.

jesusgatos

Explorer
Two 50 gallon tanks on the truck, plus a 93 gallon belly tank in the trailer, and another 20-50 gallons of flexible fuel storage. But more importantly, the engine in mah deuce will burn ANYTHING. Diesel? of course. Gasoline? Sure. Kerosene? Why not. White gas? No problem. Used motor oil, ATF, veggie oil, bio-diesel or just about anything else that's even marginally flammable? Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. So finding fuel shouldn't be a problem, and I'm going to have an onboard fuel-processing/filtering station in the trailer too.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Why the need for so much fuel on board? How many of you have needed 300+ miles of range where you can't find a gas station (within the US)? I have my stock 18.5 gallon fuel tank and sometimes carry my 5 gallon fuel can.

jesusgatos

Explorer
In my case, it's because my motorhome and trailer are going to serve as a basecamp for dirt bike rides and I'll be able to stay out in the boonies as long as fuel and water hold out, so I made it a priority to carry a lot of both. I also wanted to be able to load-up on waste oil wherever/whenever I find it.

Bogo

Adventurer
Do a google on Trans-Taiga road, or follow the link. It is a 666km long road in Northern Canada where the far end is 745km by road from the nearest town. Bring your own fuel as there are no towns on the road. You may be able to make arrangements with some of the outfitters for fuel resupply but you will have to do that in advance. Edit: looks like there are now a couple outfitters that sell fuel to those that show up. I figure if I ever drive the road I'll tow a small trailer to hold fuel and a couple more spare tires. Oh yeah, sometimes the fuel places along the James Bay Road run out of fuel so you may need fuel to cover that possibility.

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Why the need for so much fuel on board? How many of you have needed 300+ miles of range where you can't find a gas station (within the US)? I have my stock 18.5 gallon fuel tank and sometimes carry my 5 gallon fuel can.
I recently drove a just sub 400 mile loop through central NV with no re-fuel opportunity anywhere in the middle. We had several unplanned (but not unexpected) re-routes that added many miles due to snow closing several passes. I squeaked it with the Suburban's 40 gallon tank. Everyone else was carrying at least one 5'er and dumped it. We still had to opt out of the last short leg to pop out into civilization for fuel.

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
i guess that's my point, though, that you can get off the trail and get fuel and then resume. What route did you do in NV that there was no fuel available (for my own curiosity)?

I recently drove a just sub 400 mile loop through central NV with no re-fuel opportunity anywhere in the middle. We had several unplanned (but not unexpected) re-routes that added many miles due to snow closing several passes. I squeaked it with the Suburban's 40 gallon tank. Everyone else was carrying at least one 5'er and dumped it. We still had to opt out of the last short leg to pop out into civilization for fuel.

jesusgatos

Explorer
There are no bailouts or gas-stops on a lot of routes up here in the PNW. If you want to get to gas in 250 miles or less, then you're basically just driving point-to-point between gas stations.

Saline

Adventurer
I can easily put on 300 + miles in SE Utah without being able to fuel up anywhere close. Also during our Saline Valley trips we can go 250 miles in the area and not go near fuel. We now have a rig that has a 46 gallon tank so no more fuel cans for us.:sombrero:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
i guess that's my point, though, that you can get off the trail and get fuel and then resume. What route did you do in NV that there was no fuel available (for my own curiosity)?
Because of the snow we were forced to significantly deviate from the planned route. That added many miles to an already iffy range for several of us. Not that we expected that some might coast to a stop short of the next fuel stop, but that it was pushing their comfort range pretty hard. Having to pop out for fuel (pushing ~150 miles round trip) cut some of the planned destinations out of the final day because there just wasn't enough time left. The loop was based out of Tonopah.

Unless stowed underneath where they're potentially a pain to get to, fuel cans are a liability and a compromise. Due to their mass and size there are few good places to store them. There are ways and places that work, but they're always a compromise. I'd rather carry the fuel in the vehicle's fuel tank and carry a bar of soap.

sdjeep

Adventurer
Small 19 gallan stock tank and about 13-14 MPG with the 4.88 gears and stock tires = only about 266 miles. I would love to put a larger tank in, but over a grand for one is a bit pricey for me. For now i carry two 5 gallon jugs on a hitch cargo carrier for the long trips.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
16 gallons main 20 gallons in sceptor cans is good for about 720 highway miles in the Tacoma. figure 500 offroad if I do not let it idle while stopped.

D

DEEZLPWR

Stock 35gal tank, soon to get a fuel transfer systems inbed fuel tank 98gal and with a mpg of 15-20 i will get from 2000-2650 miles thats without 3 5 gallon gerry cans. :victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy