Full-Size Pick Ups, Builds, Ideas, and Trips.

crismateski

American Adventurist
6714936049_33686e360c_b.jpg

as far as I am concerned, this is what a truck should look like. gotta love the "Classic Lines"

SGTTOM

New Explorer
I do love my Chevy, but I will say that they just don't make'em like they used to. If I were more mechanically inclined I would get an older truck and make it a project. Maybe someday I will do it anyways. No better way to learn than to get your hands dirty. First I need to work another twentyfive years, then retire so I'll have time and money.

TheAlmightySam

Adventurer
Thanks for the kind words, guys! These old Dodges certainly have a "look" - they're aesthetically and mechanically of a bygone era, which is exactly what I like about them.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
I can't stop changing my mind on somethings. As I keep researching I keep finding more practical options for everything. Crazy how much info is on this forum alone. If anybody knows a good brand of cargo racks for truck beds that are adjustable in hieght like Thule racks, but not $500+ dollars and still made with quality please fill me in. Thanks.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
I finally took off the air dam today, it only took three years to finally just do it. Kind of a pain just because the wheel well guard was in the way of the two bolts(and they were rusty)you have to take out, and a funny angle. Once the bolts were out the rest just popped off. So far I like the look.airdam.jpg ard.jpg

crismateski

American Adventurist
I finally took off the air dam today, it only took three years to finally just do it. Kind of a pain just because the wheel well guard was in the way of the two bolts(and they were rusty)you have to take out, and a funny angle. Once the bolts were out the rest just popped off. So far I like the look.

I normally just take them off with rocks, it is not as clean, but much less work

SGTTOM

New Explorer
So, Planning a trip for the wife and I, we were talking about going to do a run in Anza Berrego with a group but unfortunately we wont be able to leave on time. So we are looking into the Bradshaw trail still. I have been given a lot of good info from guys on the forum, I am also going to check out "Gold Road to La Paz" from the library to take a long. We are planning on just a two night three day run. Leaving from Mecca and ending in Blythe. I hope this will give us some time to explore. I don't want to go to crazy as I am going solo, and minimal aid for recovery. So, I will air down the tires and take it slow and careful. From what I understand the main trail isn't too tough, and if anything looks too crazy I won't try it with out back up readily available. I will keep posting as I plan, should be doing it in approx two weeks. This will be our first and short taste of overlanding, just to get a feel for things on the trail. I'm hoping to maybe go to Zion in late June. More to come. All input and advise welcome!

Saiyan66

Adventurer
Sgt. Tom, have you considered making your own skidplates for your truck? A friend of mine and I did that on his truck and it turned out great. We measured where we wanted things to go, cut out some cardboard templates to make sure everything looked right and cleared in the right spots. Then went to the local metals depot and got some 1/4' aluminum plate, cut it to match our templates and took it back to the shop to have it bent at different angles to mount up. We did one from the radiator core support to the rear crossmember where the lower control arms bolt up. Then one from there to the transmission/torsion bar crossmember. It turned out great on his truck. It was a 96 chevy but the concept is the same. Cost him about $150 in materials and having the plate bent.

SGTTOM

New Explorer
I would love to do that, but lack the tools and metal working know how prevent me for now. Though I would love to tackle something like that just to learn and actually do my own work. I will do a lot more DIY work when I have a garage. Great idea for sure! Thanks.

poriggity

Explorer
It's probably not what you want to hear . . . but if you want to save money on a build - then don't build. Take the $$$ you saved from not buying [what ever], and put it in the gas tank, then go somewhere cool.

My truck has a couple of gauges (boost, EGT, trans temp, & fuel pressure), and a 2" leveling kit to clear a decent set of tires, and a 22 year old four wheel camper. No skid plates, no fancy bumpers, no snorkel, no winch, etc . . .

Don't fall into the trap of modifying a vehicle so much that you can't afford to actually use it.

I agree with this 100%. My truck is pretty much bone stock, with the exception of slightly larger tires, a set of boost, FP, and EGT gauges, and a truck bed tent for sleeping in. Other than that, I go where all my friends with bling bling rigs go. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford to build my rig and take it out, I would, but diesel is expensive ;)
Scott

SGTTOM

New Explorer
I'm really leaning more in more that direction too. Im just getting recovery gear for now, I do want skid plates eventually, but everything will come when I can afford it. I would also like a RTT just because they are so quick to set up. I will get a used one though. The biggest mod will likely be shocks in the future. Like I have said, for now I am just going to go play with what I have. My "build" is not going to be much for now, but fun!

SGTTOM

New Explorer
Alright, finally starting to prepare for some exploring. Today I put together a rather large but cool first aid kit, so tell me what you think.
fa9.JPG
I used a swing away seat organizer to build this first aid kit:
I have one grab and go kit in a plastic container in the main pouch w/ band aids, bandages, water purification tablets, tweezers, tape, alcohol prep wipes, etc...
fa1.jpg

fa8.JPG
In the other pouches I have trauma and sever bleeding gear: 3 tourniquets, quick clot gauze, blood stopper bandages, compression bandages, etc...
fa7.JPG fa6.JPG fa5.JPG

fa3.JPG fa4.JPG firstaid 2.JPG
You can hang this either on the back of a seat or on a rear seat head rest. Or what ever works best for you.
You can also lift it up and off or un-clip it in order to take the whole kit with you.
I have two other kits in day packs, I can use these to supplement this vehicle kit or the other way around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater