Full Size Regular Cab Trucks with a Pass-Through Boot Thread - Show/Talk About Yours!

alaska

Observer
I'm caressing the idea of removing the back window of a reg cab and the front one of its cap and installing a boot such as the accordion between the two. It would provide a useful way to store items in the back that can be reached directly from the cab and also a pass-through between cab and cap, extremely handy when you have a sleeping platform in the back and use the truck for expedition purposes. I'm a bit concerned, though, about such things as proper weather insulation, possible water leakage, the paint on both the cab and cap getting damage, how to do it properly, mistakes to be avoided, etc.
It would be great if those of you who have done it showed pictures of their trucks here and also gave their feedback. Are you happy with what you have achieved, does it serve well its purpose, how would you do it differently? Please contribute your suggestions, ideas, and whatever else comes to mind in this regard.

borison

Adventurer
I grew up camping in old GMCs with this exact type conversion done by my dad to his truck, my granddad's and a family friend's. Never really seen too many of them. Don't really have anything to add, but fond memories. I'll be following..

thethePete

Explorer
Check out the Bullett XV build. It's a Dodge that the guy built an amazing camper for on a 3-point frame. It has a rubber gasketed seal on the pass through to allow independent movement. I recall he used some type of foam inside a double seal for a bulb effect to it and bonded it to both sides. Seemed fairly robust and it was long enough ago that the guy should have some feedback on it.

alaska

Observer
Check out the Bullett XV build. It's a Dodge that the guy built an amazing camper for on a 3-point frame. It has a rubber gasketed seal on the pass through to allow independent movement. I recall he used some type of foam inside a double seal for a bulb effect to it and bonded it to both sides. Seemed fairly robust and it was long enough ago that the guy should have some feedback on it.

Thanks for pointing to that build, the description with pictures of what the guy did is found at page 26 of his build: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/34294-building-the-Bullet-XV/page26

I was thinking of using an accordion boot: http://www.accordionboot.com/ instead, which seems to be getting very positive feedback on amazon.com.

accordionboot.gif accordion_boot_roll.jpg

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
You would do better with the accordion boot than the big rubber flange gasket. Especially in the desert sands of CA. The rubber flange with dirt and movement eventually acts like sandpaper and grinds the paint finish off the back of your cab. That's what happened with my old mini-truck with such a gasket. You could fight that with frequent dismounting and cleaning, putting a clear protective film on the cab, or even greasing the flange during installation. The dirt get's held at the edge instead of infiltrating further.

Eventually you'll crawl thru or get tired of grinding a rib on the lip trying to reach things in either direction. Then you'll think about some sort of pad on at least the lower opening. Either get some black foam rubber pipe insulation large enough to mount over that lower opening, or go big and get a pool noodle and slice it open. Some upholstery pleather can be readily added to it with some 3M spray glue.

And you'll want to get one of those gaskets for sealing the tailgate gaps, or you'll soon notice a backwash of exhaust infiltration wafting over your shoulder.

All that said, I enjoyed my years of an open pass-thru, when I was younger, smaller and more limber.

alaska

Observer
You would do better with the accordion boot than the big rubber flange gasket. Especially in the desert sands of CA. The rubber flange with dirt and movement eventually acts like sandpaper and grinds the paint finish off the back of your cab. That's what happened with my old mini-truck with such a gasket. You could fight that with frequent dismounting and cleaning, putting a clear protective film on the cab, or even greasing the flange during installation. The dirt get's held at the edge instead of infiltrating further.

Eventually you'll crawl thru or get tired of grinding a rib on the lip trying to reach things in either direction. Then you'll think about some sort of pad on at least the lower opening. Either get some black foam rubber pipe insulation large enough to mount over that lower opening, or go big and get a pool noodle and slice it open. Some upholstery pleather can be readily added to it with some 3M spray glue.

And you'll want to get one of those gaskets for sealing the tailgate gaps, or you'll soon notice a backwash of exhaust infiltration wafting over your shoulder.

All that said, I enjoyed my years of an open pass-thru, when I was younger, smaller and more limber.

One of the requirements for using the accordion boot is that both openings, in the cab and cap, must be as close a match in size and shape as possible in order for the boot to work as intended. My idea is to remove the truck's rear window then cut a matching opening in the cab and close the gap with the accordion boot, but I'm not sure how well that would work and what aspects need to be considered to end up with something worthwhile. Your suggestions are much appreciated and are a valuable contribution in that direction.

I was hoping for a lot more feedback (possibly inclusive of pictures and detailed descriptions of what has been done by others, or links to them). This of the pass-through boot, especially in a regular cab truck, seems such a worthy concept expedition-wise and I'm quite a bit surprised that I wasn't able to find much in the various forums on this topic. Hopefully, more like-minded members will chime in with their ideas and experiences.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
Well back in the 70s and 80s it was common to see vinyl / pleather interior boots that bridged and covered the gap, attached with snaps on both sides, inside the cab and shell. With the big rubber flange / boot on the shell mashed up against the back of the cab.

I'd advocate the that big flange, but apply some clear protective film (like the stuff that gets applies to headlight lenses) to the back of the cab AND greasing the flange. That arrangement is easiest, requires no permanent mods to either the cab or shell, and will sustain a lot of wear without permanent damage to the exterior paint of the cab. And then fashion a dress boot for the inner edge of the pass-thru, using whatever materials you prefer. You could use some nice 3M velco instead of snaps and further avoid any permanent holes or mods.

or

truckboot.jpg

Duramax3388

I had one that was the donut type up above. It leaked a little. The biggest problem is if it's hot out you've got all that hot air back there if it's cold out same deal. I had a sliding window so you could open it when you wanted and close it when needed. Plus when you need to use your truck without the cap or camper you've got a window to keep the weather out.

thethePete

Explorer
I think you're gonna find that outside of the camper vehicle builds, most people that need pass-through type access will opt for an SUV, as evidenced by the SUV vs Truck thread. As the guy above mentioned, I think heating/cooling will be the biggest problem, unless you make some type of plug/stopper/door that closes up the hole when necessary.

highdesertranger

Adventurer
I have the accordion boot on my sleeper and had it previously on a camper shell. they work great. better than the type that relies on pressure on your cab to seal. the accordion boot doesn't leak. if you flex a lot it might pop off on a corner, if it does use some 3m black weather strip adhesive. won't pop off after that. you can make a pad that goes around for added insulation and to protect the boot when you climb through. right now I only have it on the bottom of mine. I will take some pics tomorrow. like someone else pointed out you must match the opening on the shell to the opening of the back window. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven