FUll-Size Spare or Not?

TravelTacoma

Observer
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice from the more experienced overlanding community. I have a Jeep Wrangler with a full-size spare. Would it be a stupid move to not carry a full-size spare on off-road trips? I do trails like the White Rim Trail in Utah several times a year. I have never experienced a flat (YET!). I feel that as soon as I delete the full-size spare I will suffer a catastrophic flat. I do carry a full repair kit and OBA which would be more than capable of fixing minor flats. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

stevec

Adventurer
Would it be a stupid move to not carry a full-size spare on off-road trips.

Yes.

Just picture yourself about 40 miles into the White Rim Road, it's 105* outside, and you tear a 3" gash in your sidewall.

I am curious as to why you are thinking of not carrying one... Are you looking to mount something else on the back? Trying to save weight?

TravelTacoma

Observer
Thanks stevec

You know, the common sense side of my brain carried out that same scenario. However, the risk-taker side of my brain reminded me that I never have had a flat that couldn't be fixed with a tire repair kit. I guess the main reason that I was thinking about deleting the spare is the weight savings. I'm trying to lighten up the Jeep because the 3.8L is anemic and a HEMI isn't in the budget for another couple of years. The gas mileage sucks compared to my Tacoma with similar size tires.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I think it basically boils down to how big of a rush you are in....

As long as you stop when the tire is flat and not drive on it till the sidewall completely breaks down you can almost always repair it enough to get you to civilization. Fixing stuff like a 3" gash can be difficult, but it can be done with big reinforced 'tractor' patches and such. It takes preparation and time however.

A lot of the 'wheeling group I run around with runs 'compact' spares. To replace most 35" tires a 34x9.5 swamper works dang well, and its MUCH lighter, takes up less space, easier to change, etc.

I drove my Dodge all over the place with the 325 michelin's with VERY little fear of getting a puncture I couldn't fix. I did throw an old 265/75r16 mounted on a steel rim in the back of the truck during long remote trips. If the tire was THAT destroyed anything round and rolling would work when mounted on the front with the hub unlocked.

Now with the new tires on the truck, 38.5x13.5x17 Pitbull Maddog radials, I did keep one of the used Michelins to use for a 'full size' spare. I just don't trust the new tires as much as the old steel belted sidewall 5000lb load rated tires.

When using a full size spare, it does beg a question. Where to I mount something that BIG! No matter what it adds weight and takes up a fair bit of space! My current solution is to mount the tire standing up along the drivers bed rail at the front of the bed towards the cab. This makes the tire use up the least square footage in the bed since its standing upright. It also blocks the least visibility to the rear since its behind my head. I can still shoulder check the right side shell window in traffic if I need to.

Most people's issues will be smaller than mine but you could also have a much smaller vehicle....

TravelTacoma

Observer
Spare Question

Metcalf,

I've heard alot about not using tires of different sizes on 4wds. Is this true? Or can you use tires that are the same height, but a different width? What you say makes alot of sense concerning weight and space requirements. In my case the spare has to be mounted outside, as I don't want a spare in the Jeep with my wife and myself. Even properly secured there is always the chance that it would become a missile in a hard enough crash. Thanks for the reply though. Very informative.

cwsqbm

Explorer
I would always go with at space-saver spare. For years, I had a 31" spare tire even though I ran 35" tires on my truck - the 31" fit just fine under the bed, where the 35" wouldn't fit. I didn't want to give up bed space for a spare. Mismatched tires aren't ideal, but can get you home or at least to civilization and a tire shop. Instead of a spare, look at other things to not carry.

It seems like every vehicle I've ever owned has gotten a flat. Most were just nails, and could be easily fixed, but its quicker to swap on the spare and fix it later. However, a couple tore major chunks out of the sideway and wouldn't have been fixable without extreme effort.

irish_11

Explorer
Metcalf,

I've heard alot about not using tires of different sizes on 4wds. Is this true? Or can you use tires that are the same height, but a different width? What you say makes alot of sense concerning weight and space requirements. In my case the spare has to be mounted outside, as I don't want a spare in the Jeep with my wife and myself. Even properly secured there is always the chance that it would become a missile in a hard enough crash. Thanks for the reply though. Very informative.

The different size issue comes into play mainly when you have a locker, limited slip or other setup in an axle. I hve a rear locker and have 32's, but my spare its a 31". If I were to lose a rear tire, I would rotate one of the front 32's to the rear and place the spare in the front. Sure it will cause an allignment issue if its not fixed, but it will be cheaper in the long run than axle issues.

If you have two tires of different sizes on a locker it will cause exces strain on the system (there is a technical way of explaining this that I am not comfortable with) but needless to say its not a good call unless its your only option.

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
a full spare is a component of self rescue. If you take away your ability to self rescue, what will you put in it's place? A satellite phone and a 24 hour wait for help? A backpack full of survival gear, a good set of hiking boots, and a two day hike? Life is a constant series of tradeoffs, choose wisely.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
a full spare is a component of self rescue. If you take away your ability to self rescue, what will you put in it's place? A satellite phone and a 24 hour wait for help? A backpack full of survival gear, a good set of hiking boots, and a two day hike? Life is a constant series of tradeoffs, choose wisely.

As long as people have the ability to repair the tire I don't have a problem without having a spare tire. Now, if they think they are going to call AAA...not so much.
If a person can repair the tire....they can also do it more than once. A full size spare without any repair gear only works once.....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Metcalf,

It depends a lot on the vehicle. If it has locking hubs its not too big of a deal. You can just rotate the small tire to a front location and unlock the hub.

On more modern vehicles you may need to be more careful. You generally don't want to run different sized tires ( height, not width! ) on any kind of gear or friction plate limited slip diff. This would include stuff like the rear 'locker' on the Jeep Rubicon Platform....since it has a limited slip function AND a locked option.

In the end, just about anything will work if you only have to go a short distance at a slow speed over a loose ( non-pavement ) surface.

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
As long as people have the ability to repair the tire I don't have a problem without having a spare tire. Now, if they think they are going to call AAA...not so much.
If a person can repair the tire....they can also do it more than once. A full size spare without any repair gear only works once.....

Every rig on a 4x4 trail should have a tire plug/patch kit and that's a completely different issue than I was talking about. The spare is needed for a bent rim or a busted sidewall. My point was that if you take away the spare, what do you replace it with? A sat phone? hiking boots? If you take away the spare, make sure you have a plan B and then don't cry when you have to roll with your decision, that's all I was trying to say.

Frankspinz

Adventurer
A full size/matching size spare is an absolute necessity in my book. Otherwise, I won't wheel with you unless we have a clear understanding of all the "what ifs" ...

I will stand by and help a fellow wheeler and tow him out, but if I feel he's been negligent - my compassion/solidarity might wane !

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I'd carry two spares that match the tires on the rig if I could, but I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

You might consider carrying just the tire and a set of tire irons rather than the whole wheel. It's really not that hard to dismount/mount a tire as long as you have a Hi-Lift and a set of irons. It does take time and the knowledge of how to do it, practice in a controlled environment would be a huge bonus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater