Fullsize jeep thoughts...

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My sheriff friend is looking at picking one up for his son.

It's a 1974ish Cherokee narrow track. (I think. Pretty sure...)

Not sure on the drivetrain, but I'm assuming T18 tranny, D18/D20 tcase, D44's,

As for the motor? Inline 6 or 360 v8 are possible right?

Being a pre-smog carb'd rig would a TBI install be possible? What about Diesel swaps?

I'm aware of IFSJA.org - no need to mention it. I had a J10 for a while.

Wondering if anyone here has experience in bringing one up to snuff. What about engine/tranny swaps like LS1's or even something like a Vortec, etc?

It's a good looking rig, with straight panels, and intact glass. Looks to be lifted, and has some solid looking tires on it.

Here's a shot:

2012-10-14_10.16.18.jpg

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I dragged a 1981 Wagoneer home a few months ago. The plan is for a 5.3 LS swap, new paint, new wiring, etc. I've started a build thread at http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=605

An injury has slowed progress for me but I'm currently reworking the engine wiring harness and will be updating the thread soon.

file.php

murryconst

Observer
I did 350 carb th400 241c
The transfer case was the hardest thing to find had to do s.y.e kits to get the spedo to work
Had to notch the Trans mount
Did a bjs 6" all spring lift
Would not do that agin way to stiff
Would do their spring over kit ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358994499.597718.jpg

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I had a 78 Cherokee Chief Levi edition a long time back, it had a 360, T-18, Dana 20, and 44's front and rear. That 74 should be pretty similar to mine. No Dana 18, it would be a 20. Of course this is assuming it is still stock/unmodified. They are easy to work on. Be prepared to do some wiring repair before you let all the smoke out of the under dash harness or burn your Jeep down. JP Magazine has some articles on it.

If the engine is in good running order I would TBI it, good ignition system, and exhaust. That is going to be the best bang for the buck. Diesel fuel costs more now than gas and unless you already have the diesel engine and other components needed for a swap be prepared to spend alot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl