Fuso options.

ucs308

Observer
I am looking at (over time) building out or buying a camper based on the Fuso. It seems like the little-big-truck that can do it all.

My first batch of questions are.

1. The truck will be based in California and I am wondering if there are any model years, engine combinations, that would be problematic in Cali.
2. I need to seat and sleep at least three. Is there any thing preventing the Fuso from having comfortable seating for three up-front? I would like a crew cab, but they don't come 4WD.
3. Can the Fuso crew cab be made 4WD.
4. What is considered a good life for a Fuso mechanically. 200K 300K Higher? My 4Runner is just over 1 year old and has 35K miles on it. This vehicle needs to last 10yrs min.
5. What is the best source on the web for information on the history and reputation of the the various model years?

Thanks in advance.
Garry.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
1. The truck will be based in California and I am wondering if there are any model years, engine combinations, that would be problematic in Cali.
I am not in the States, but a model pre emissions crap is probably your best bet, especially if you intend to travel outside the US borders. I think that this would be a pre 2007 model, but don't hold me to that.

2. I need to seat and sleep at least three. Is there any thing preventing the Fuso from having comfortable seating for three up-front? I would like a crew cab, but they don't come 4WD.
The Canter seats 3 by default, but it's not what I would call ideal. There is a 2 person bench and the driver's seat bucket. The bench seat is not what I would really call comfortable and it is a bit squeezy in the middle for the third passenger. Would probably be fine for a child.
ATW do a passenger side conversion with a suspension seat and a "dickie seat" for the middle, but I do not know if that is something that you can get from Sportsmobile (ATW USA).

If you do a search on this forum you will a company that does do this, but I do not know the price or quality of that conversion.

4. What is considered a good life for a Fuso mechanically. 200K 300K Higher? My 4Runner is just over 1 year old and has 35K miles on it. This vehicle needs to last 10yrs min.
The older motors are like tractor motors and will run for many, many miles. I would not have the same confidence with the current model.

5. What is the best source on the web for information on the history and reputation of the the various model years?
Right here!
Many people on this forum could give input about their own Fusos; both good and bad things.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I am looking at (over time) building out or buying a camper based on the Fuso. It seems like the little-big-truck that can do it all.

My first batch of questions are.

Thanks in advance.
Garry.

1. A diesel TRUCK in California is highly regulated and have to be updated to modern specs. I highly recommend converting whatever vehicle you obtain to an RV, which is not covered by the truck regulations. You will probably find that taxes, tags, and insurance are cheaper as well. Do you plan to operate in NA or go elsewhere? If outside of US/Canada, you need to be concerned about the potential non-availability of ULSD and DEF when you make your choice.

2. The stock Fuso cab is a 3-seater, though most people would not say that comfort is part of the equation. There is room to convert to 3 suspension seats, though most people seem to convert to 2.

3. Yes, the crew cab can be made 4WD. It will be expensive and of course void any and all warranties.

4. The 4M50 (pre-ULSD) motor is pretty well regarded and bomb proof. The newer 3.0/Duonic has not established the same reputation for reliability. Medium Duty trucks are typically expected to be able to run 500k+ miles without major work - but how you use them has a big impact on this. The Aussie off-road trucks (beach, mining, etc) seem to last 2-3 seasons but that is due to the environment they operate in.

ucs308

Observer
1. A diesel TRUCK in California is highly regulated and have to be updated to modern specs. I highly recommend converting whatever vehicle you obtain to an RV, which is not covered by the truck regulations. You will probably find that taxes, tags, and insurance are cheaper as well. Do you plan to operate in NA or go elsewhere? If outside of US/Canada, you need to be concerned about the potential non-availability of ULSD and DEF when you make your choice.

I don't want to be limited to North America.

2. The stock Fuso cab is a 3-seater, though most people would not say that comfort is part of the equation. There is room to convert to 3 suspension seats, though most people seem to convert to 2.
3. Yes, the crew cab can be made 4WD. It will be expensive and of course void any and all warranties.

Do you know which year had the largest cab? Is there a website with that information on it? Do they have the concept of an extended cab? A silly idea, demonstrating my complete lack of knowledge I am sure, could you put a crew cab onto 4WD chassis?

What other choices do I have for 4WD and cab for three, in a cab-over format.

Maninga

Adventurer
As mentioned, the single cab isn't really a comfortable place by default. Can be made comfortable with a bit of work, but I'd be looking at it for 2 people instead of 3. Cabs seem to be around the same size based of the brief drives I've had when looking at different years/models.

Some docs & specs you may have seen
http://www.mitfuso.com/mitsubishi-fuso/Resources/Literature

Other threads on converting single to crew cabs. Look for the posts by John (whatcharterboat)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/123262-FG637-crew-cab-parts-HELP
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/48514-FE-FG-4x4-crew
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/39052-Crew-cab-version-of-the-Fuso-or-like

Try looking at RC Trucks too, they do a conversion on Isuzu 2wd to 4wd, thinkk I've seen a crew cab advertised by them too
http://rctrucksales.com/

Other option would be, build in a big pass thru, make the camper body strong enough to have seats installed for third/fourth person

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I don't want to be limited to North America.

Well, if that's the case... you could consider emigrating to Australia, where you would only need to walk into a Fuso or Isuzu dealership to buy a 4x4 crew cab off the floor. ;)

DzlToy

Explorer
Pre 07 truck with 4M50 motor and AS68RC, would be my first choice.

Trucks are very reliable, mine has 255K on it.

They can be made comfortable, but are not by design. It is not difficult or expensive, despite what others will tell you. Some sound deadending (don't use Dynamat and don't cover the entire cab in the stuff) and some seats from your favourite wrecking yard will both make vast improvements. Next would be springs and dampers, the factory versions are awful, front and rear.

The crew cabs can be converted to 4WD and it can be done on a budget by someone with mechanical and fabrication skills. If you drop your truck off at Penhall's with a blank check, it is going to be very very expensive. Parts for the 4WD conversion, should run somewhere in the neighbourhood of 3k - 5k USD, shopping for good deals and buying used parts that need some R&R. The more work you can do yourself or get friends to help, the more you will save.

There is tons of info here and this subject has been covered at length. Grab a beer or a coffee and start reading....

DzlToy

Explorer
I do feel quite sorry for you blokes down under, who must deal with all of that nonsense.

Here, you just take the seat to a mate's metal fab shop, mock everything up on some wood blocks, measure for a bracket, cut it out on the CNC plasma cutter and bolt the whole lot in place of the factory seat.

Attachments

• 20140505_135145_resized.jpg
    20140505_135145_resized.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20140510_123349_resized.jpg
    20140510_123349_resized.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 29

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333