FWC Keystone help/advice

CKent323

Given that the floor pack has been resized $2500 may be a fair price.

I have a 1984 FWC Keystone that is in "well used" condition. I have looked at some costs to restore it. Ask how it has been stored over its life. We bought ours used 6 years ago for $1000 and it spent most of its life outside so lots of fading and the canvas while still serviceable is near the end of its life and needs replacing as do the end panels. Our canvas is getting stiff and has repairs.

The Canvas side would run around $1800 at FWC and maybe $1500 at ATC. The fold up end panels are a few hundred each.

The canvas can last a long time if properly cared for, I have a friend with a 1985 Keystone and he has always kept it stored inside with the top up. It is still in like new condition, the canvas is still flexible and has lots of life left. Further, there are no stains from condensation and moisture trapped in the folded canvas (from storage with the top down when damp or in conditions that would allow condensation).

Examine the inside of the "canvas" at all four corners to look for staining and evidence of leaks and patching. Look at the front and rear pop up wood too. Also look behind the wood and look at the canvas there as well as the wires in the front driver side corner. Make sure there is no embrittlement of the plastic coating over the wiring or damage to the wires. The canvas and pop-up wood parts can be replaced but they are not cheap and unless you are very handy probably best done by either FWC or ATC at their shop.

These older Keystones are noticeably larger inside than the new models. However, the narrowing of the floor pack will have reduced space inside the cabinets and under the couch.

Is the refrigerator original? If so make sure all three functions are operating (110v, 12 v and Propane). Our refrigerator recently failed 12V went first then would only run on 110 and propane then it stopped cooling. Our three burner range top still works fine.

Try to assess the water holding tank. Is it new and is it still 20 gallon (narrowing the floor pack may have necessitated a new tank)? If it is original is it clean and free of mold and sediment? (Note: there is a small vertical slit in the cabinet in my camper that allows a look at the water level but you cannot see inside although a visible horizontal dark line work be a clue there is trouble). Drain water out of the holding tank and look at in after it has settled in a white bottom container.

Get on a ladder and look at the roof. Are there any repaired holes? Are the screw heads caulked? Are the seals on the screws original and crumbling or have they been replaced. Is the molding strip still in place around the edge of the pop up roof?

Of course make sure all the lights work (both 110v and 12v). Is there an older voltage converter in it? If so you will probably want to replace that.

We liked the space of our 1984 Keystone but when we got an opportunity to buy a "like new" 2009 model for about 1/2 cost of new we jumped on it. Noticeably smaller but in much better condition with a few extra goodies like electric water pump and hot water heater (our old Keystone had manual pump and no hot water). I thought about converting the old Keystone to a flatbed camper, it would be a good candidate for that, but I just don't have the time so have decided to sell it.

Hope this is of some help to you

- Craig

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Even if it needs a little work, I still think it is a fair deal. As noted below, FWC have good bones. If this one fits your needs I would be waiting at his door when he gets home, with at least 2k cash in hand.

Be sure to let us all know how it works out.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
USED CAMPER CHECK LIST -- BASIC THINGS TO LOOK FOR:

Check to make sure all of the roof screws are tight, if not hand tighten them and re-seal them with a dab of marine grade silicone once you get the camper home.

Check to make sure the roof does not have any holes or tears in the exterior aluminum roof skin (from trees or misc. items poking it over the years).

Check the soft sides (pop-up up portion) of the camper for unusual wear, tears, or large holes. If there are just small pin holes, those are pretty easy to seal up or patch if needed.

Check the inside of the camper roof (head liner) for rips or tears, stains from possible leaks, or for mold.

Check the front and back wooden folding panels (hinged panels that allow the roof to go up & down). Check to see that the rivets are intact and that the wood is not rotten or wet.

Take a look at the aluminum skin all the way around the outside of the camper. Check for scrapes or punctures.

Check the exterior wooded camper base (usually it is painted grey) for any abnormalities.

Check the eye nuts in the camper base (outside of camper) to see if they have been over-tightened or might be pulling away /pulling out / crooked or bent.

Check the propane box and see if everything looks as it should. Not many things to go wrong with this.

If possible, have the selling turn on items for you.

Example: see if the lights work, see if the furnace lights, see if the refrigerator lights, see if the water pump turns on, etc.

This might not always be possible, but it is always good to poke around and play with things in the camper for a few minutes if you have the opportunity.

Check to see if they have the keys for the rear camper door.

Check to see if the camper jacks look solid and not too bent.

Check to see if the awning cranks or pulls in & out properly.

Check to see if the roof vent opens and closes and does not have any cracks in the lid.

But the best thing to do is just spend a few minutes looking over the camper, sitting inside, smell check inside to make sure it does not have a "funk" to it.

Does it look like the owner of the camper has taken care or the camper ?

Or is it hammered and beaten on ?

Has the seller made any attempt to clean the camper out and make it look presentable for the new buyer ?

Does the camper fit my truck ?

Check the camper fit guide here, or call four wheel campers ...

http://www.fourwheel.../camper_fit.htm

If I were looking to buy a used camper for myself, I would look at the following items above, and then I would probably just sit inside the camper for a few minutes and ask myself ... "will I be comfortable camping in this camper? Does it look nice inside ? Does it smell funky? It is just dirty & gross?"

Or are you telling yourself ... "Hey, this camper is pretty nice. It is clean. It looks to be well taken care of. Doesn't smell. Yes, I would probably be comfortable camping in this camper".

Give it the "Feel Good Test", lol.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping & used camper shopping

Afdfiremedic

Awesome advice everyone, I really appreciate it. Stan, thanks for the checklist; that will definitely help. I will keep you guys posted and hopefully my next post will be with a picture of the camper on my truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77