FWC Solar Install

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
Reaching out to those of you with FWC pop ups that have solar on the roof. I am looking to see how the factory ran the wiring from the roof. Any help would be awesome. I did search this forum looking for someone who installed solar after the fact but wasn't successful.

I just picked up an 04' hawk and intend to install solar as a part of the rebuild.

Thanks!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I found the solar wires in a box in the roof above the front lifting block. (Where you push up to lift the front.) Remove the piece of wood and you should find the wires.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
A 2004 Hawk Model will probably not be pre-wired for solar.

: (

The quickest way to check would be to look behind the front folding lift panel.

(front / driver's side corner behind the folding lift panel)

If you only see 2 wires (black & yellow), the camper is NOT pre-wired with solar panel wiries in the roof.

But if you see 4 wires (red & black, and also a yellow & black), your camper is pre-wired for solar.

Hope this helps.

:)

Attachments

• solar panle pre wire (4 wires total).JPG
    solar panle pre wire (4 wires total).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 758

eXpeditionXterra

Adventurer
Thanks for the information, I will look for that panel. If not, I guess I will have to run them myself. Will update this thread if I do in case someone is searching for the info as I was.

craig333

Expedition Leader
Curious to see what you come up with. A few of us have done solar on non prewired campers but I can't say we've been thrilled with the results. Just no way to really do it cleanly that I've seen. Mine just goes straight down from the roof and then behind the lift panel.
solarpanelwiring.jpg

Its a choice of this or pulling down the ceiling covering and that doesn't look easy at all.

CKent323

Anyone Make Tripod or Off Camper Mounts?

I am new to using solar panels having just bought two 100 watt units on sale from Costco for my Keystone.

Here are some of my thoughts on mounting them.

Occasionally I carry kayaks.

It seems to me the mounting on top of the camper potentially exposes the solar panels to damage as well as shading from things like trees and bird droppings. The power output is allegedly very sensitive to shading even smmall areas of the panels. Also running wire through the roof of non-prewired campers seems to be an invitation to leaks.

I wonder if anyone has used a tripod or other off camper approach to allow optimal panel positioning. Storage of the panels then becomes an issue but perhaps a lockable sliding rack/shelf in the gap between the camper bed overhang and the truck cab might work and also keep them protected. This approach would work best with wires coming out the rear or the side of the camper which might help minimize risk of leaks. I think running the wires and ataching a weather proof connection may be easier.

Regards,

Craig

larboy

Stan, I have an 06 Eagle with the 4 wires as shown behind the front lifting panel. I don't have a box under the front lifting block like Overland Hadley shows. Where can I access the solar wires in the ceiling/roof? I've checked both lights and the roof vent (manual) but haven't found them. Also, what are the yellow and black wires for? Would they be for a power fan?

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
For waterproofing the roof cable penetration, perhaps consider the Dektite Cable Flashing or a marine cable gland.

And I really would not use any Scotchlock connectors, I used to find many, many causes of electrical gremlins were attributed to their use on customers vehicles.

_Dektite_IMG_APL_GB_01_H500_WAUTO.jpg
L168348_1_dektite_premium_FE100BS.jpg
689959.jpg
media.nl
Index-Marine-Side-Entry-gland-665x513.jpg

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Did you buy the below?

2004 Four Wheel Hawk for Sale:

Queen Bed
3 way fridge
2-Burner stove