FYI on some solar panel sales

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Wiring

So I should be able to take the below pictured MC4 cable, cut one end off and wire it to the Sunguard Morningstar regulator and then the regulator to the battery? Then, my solar panel can be connected to my deep cycle battery setup?

I'm ordering all the odds and ends I won't have locally to build this and don't want to be stopped for something simple like a cable.

Attachments

• Sunguard_SG4.jpg
    Sunguard_SG4.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 41bbq-t9AHL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41bbq-t9AHL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 413

Tim A

Adventurer
Yep. MC4s on 10AWG coming out of a junction box. I just decided to hack of the MC4s and added Anderson Power Poles (found on my Goal Zero). I might have voided the warranty but I think that it's a bit silly considering it's just some cable going to a junction box. Any problems would be BEFORE the wires going out!
I've read that you can just by a short MC4 extension cable and cut THAT in two and add that to the panel cables, keeping your warranty good. I didn't feel like having ANY MC4s in my system so chop chop.

mattm01,

I'm ordering the GZ 350 today and want to add one of these panels. I do not need a controller correct? Also, you said you added Anderson power poles to the panel's cabling...are those the male or female Andersons?

On a separate note: you said you took apart the 350 power pack, did you notice what group size battery is in there? In your opinion, is it possible to replace the battery down the road if the battery capacity diminishes? Thanks!

mattm01

No controller needed on the GZ 350. It's built in with a 10amp max. Pretty sure its PWM. Note that the INPUT is NOT Anderson but the "proprietary" GZ 8mm round plug. I chopped an extra 8mm GZ cord I had and added an Anderson plug to one end and left the MALE 8mm on the other. You need the smallest 15amp Anderson's for the GZ wire and the larger 45 Amp ones for the 10 gauge coming off the panel. Anderson Plugs are unisex. No male or female.

Forgot Amp hour inside but definitely user replaceable battery.

Tim A

Adventurer
No controller needed on the GZ 350. It's built in with a 10amp max. Pretty sure its PWM. Note that the INPUT is NOT Anderson but the "proprietary" GZ 8mm round plug. I chopped an extra 8mm GZ cord I had and added an Anderson plug to one end and left the MALE 8mm on the other. You need the smallest 15amp Anderson's for the GZ wire and the larger 45 Amp ones for the 10 gauge coming off the panel. Anderson Plugs are unisex. No male or female.

Forgot Amp hour inside but definitely user replaceable battery.

Thanks for the info. Got my 350 plus 30w panel in. Peace of mind knowing that I don't have to send the unit to get the battery replaced.

EXP-T100

Adventurer
I went to the site it seems the 80w and the 60w are not available any more.

I been waiting a 60w or 80w for some time now as well. They still dont have any 60w but they do have the 80w in now and for about $20 cheaper
(in stock & current $$)
100watt- $135
80watt - $108
40watt- $55

Josh

F5driver

Adventurer
Just got an email from solarblvd.com about a sale
Solar Cynergy 120 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel $145.00

http://www.solarblvd.com/Solar-Pane...20-Watt-12-Volt-Solar-Panel/product_info.html

they also have there 60 watt panels back in stock for $79.90

Josh

Please forgive the newbie question. Do these panels come with wiring or do I have to order something like this and run it to my controller?
http://www.solarblvd.com/Cables-&-W...nnector-#10-AWG-Male/Female/product_info.html

EXP-T100

Adventurer
good question i wish i would have asked before i ordered my panel. Yes you will need to order that kit or cut the connectors off and do something different. now i need to figure out what route to take, order the kit or buy new connectors, think i will just order the kit.

bansil

Adventurer
good question i wish i would have asked before i ordered my panel. Yes you will need to order that kit or cut the connectors off and do something different. now i need to figure out what route to take, order the kit or buy new connectors, think i will just order the kit.

Pull the cover off the junction box,unscrew wire and make your own...

EXP-T100

Adventurer
Pull the cover off the junction box,unscrew wire and make your own...

hey thanks bansil i have not taken much time to look at the junction box but if its that easy i will go that way instead of shelling out more money.

Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy