FZJ80 vs BMW GS1200

ZachDiesel

Ok, so I have a question I've had a hard time answering via the portal and even google. I have a 1997 40th FZJ80 cruiser I'm in the process of outfitting for overland travel and have gotten into some preliminary but fairly serious planning talk with a close friend with a BMW GS1200 dual sport. A real overland machine for sure. My question is this: is a joint venture plausible with a land cruiser and a dual sport motorcycle? Will the travel pace be anywhere in the same ballpark? Will we be able to find a route enjoyable and challenging enough for both vehicles? Thanks in advance

Flagster

Expedition Leader
They only thing good I can think about that combo is that he would benefit from you carrying cold beers in your fridge...other than that I can't think why if on my moto I would want to travel with a truck or the other way around...but that being said...do it and post in adventures

Willman

Do both....Land Cruiser for around the state and the Moto to discover the world or whatever order you want.....

You can always get one of those hitch Moto carriers...

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
The Long Way Around crew did this on the Long Way Down trip, 3 motos and two Nissan Patrols. I think if y'all split up and did what you each wanted it would be great fun!

ZachDiesel

I had definitely thought of My LC as the "supply truck" on such a trip. Somebody on ih8mud did post a link of another crew that did/are doing a mixed expedition like this and the LC100 was towing a trailer for the GS. A really sweet x-venture trailer. Link: www.xoverland.com.

I really like the idea of having the freedom to split and pursue our own routes if need be and meet up again. This is sounding more and more feasible. Thanks guys.

kletzenklueffer

Adventurer
It'll be what you make it but sounds like it'd be an oppurtunity for a great trek. The 80 will go places it'd be tough/dangerous to take a GS. The GS could outpace an 80. The 80 could keep the GS light and a would offer a place to get out of rain/storms. The GS could offer route recon to avoid getting the 80 into tight spots.

sounds like it could be enjoyable for both of ya'll.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
We did some remote road exploring in Utah last spring with a couple of Land Cruisers along with a KTM and a BMW DS.

The good:
- One of the guys on a bike had a Ham radio wired into his helmet, and was able to relay back road conditions and obstables.
- Trucks are good sag wagons for the bikers (food, drink, gas, gear, etc.)
- Trucks are good for helping with recovery or when the bike faces an obstacle that is pushing its limits

The bad:
- Bikes were constantly waiting for the trucks...

If I were on a bike I would not want to wait around for the truck. There are a number of benefits, but the bikers have to expect that their pace and route planning will be significantly altered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy