G-Wagon like Side Exit Exhaust - Like the Dakar Team!

TerrenceLP

Observer
I wanted to see if anyone has tried this or reasons why not to -

The goal -

Inspired by - AMG G-Wagon (note the side exhaust)
003.jpg

Then I went under my elephant to see what room I have. Turns out there is a huge muffler attached to an unnecessary tail pipe. Furthermore, I also see that there are no sensors attached to the 3rd cat, even more room.

Also noticed the RallyArt teams had side exhaust -

(Look Closely)
mitsubishi-pajero-dakar-11.jpg

So next update will be the size flange on the cat, some universal tubing, here a tac, there tac - and a magnaflow muffler like this one -

10414.png

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
You can build a slider and incorporate the side exhaust into it, also keep in mind your frame and how it will act as a exhaust squishier offroad. It wouldn't be bad to hole saw through the frame and weld in a tube to reinforce that section of frame (it can be done safely, just make sure the fab work is LEGIT).

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Some vehicle regs state the exhaust must exit past the rear of the most rear opening to the cabin. (Australian ADRs for example). They put this in place for a reason. Swirling air around a vehicle can suck exhaust fumes into the vehicle. Really consider the need to change the exhaust versus the potential gain/downfalls!

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Uhhh, frame on a unibody vehicle?
Oh you must have one of the more "agricultural" models...
:sombrero:

I do have tractor Mitsubishis but even the unibody Montero has a frame like ridge to need to pipe under IIRC.

Thats a bad idea off-road. Best ground clearance is under rockers. For as cool as the G wagon looks, and the gear it has...it has some glaring issues, exhaust included. Local dealer just rebuilds the entire system after each trip.

TerrenceLP

Observer
A lot of good back and forth.

Here is what I plan on doing - drop that last Cat and run into a more compact muffler, the OEM one is very large and could have one half it size fit there. Then turn them out to the rear most part of the step rail. From there I may or may not hack a space for it to fit or just run it under the step rail like this photo example -

sideexhaust.jpg

As for the Legality of this all - Who Cares? This is a fun project and I want to experiment with a few things when I feel the need to.
The exhaust and Passenger thing would be like this - that tip is down turned and just out far enough so the gasses pass on the outside of the tire. When in crawler or stop and go traffic - keep back windows up or shut down the engine, very minimal concern.

As for the Bad Idea off road, many of my travels are getting there and not really gnarly rock crawling stuff. And the way I'm setting it up, if anything just the tips will get damaged - no big deal. My point being if the stock gen III mufflet can hold up to most situations, this wont bee that far off, and with a lift it should be ok.

My hope is 10-20 BHP with a free flowing exhaust. The planing continues!

A lot of good back and forth.

Here is what I plan on doing - drop that last Cat and run into a more compact muffler, the OEM one is very large and could have one half it size fit there. Then turn them out to the rear most part of the step rail. From there I may or may not hack a space for it to fit or just run it under the step rail like this photo example -

View attachment 343043

As for the Legality of this all - Who Cares? This is a fun project and I want to experiment with a few things when I feel the need to.
The exhaust and Passenger thing would be like this - that tip is down turned and just out far enough so the gasses pass on the outside of the tire. When in crawler or stop and go traffic - keep back windows up or shut down the engine, very minimal concern.

As for the Bad Idea off road, many of my travels are getting there and not really gnarly rock crawling stuff. And the way I'm setting it up, if anything just the tips will get damaged - no big deal. My point being if the stock gen III mufflet can hold up to most situations, this wont bee that far off, and with a lift it should be ok.

My hope is 10-20 BHP with a free flowing exhaust. The planing continues!

10-20bhp? More like 2-3

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
I do have tractor Mitsubishis but even the unibody Montero has a frame like ridge to need to pipe under IIRC.

All Monteros/Pajeros have a frame. The Gen 3-4 are a monocoque where the passenger compartment is a solid welded unit. The ladder frame railes are inserted into the monococque and run from the front bumper to the rear. Subframes holding the front and rear axles are attached to the frame rails. The body panels are then bolted to the outside.
img_01.jpg

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/showroom/pajero/safety/

For the Exhaust, I prefer the dual exit style, but rally raid vehicles also ran a single center exit pipe.
mqdefault.jpg

815_1915A3V3tDjDCBpl.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach