Gen 3 Intermittent Passenger Door Lock

theonlyale

Hey all,

Recently bought a Gen 3 2001 Limited. At purchase, the passenger door did not work with the fob or central locking. All other doors locked and unlocked with the fob or lock button inside. I assumed the motor for the actuator was gone and was going to pull it and try to recondition or replace it.

In the meantime it went in to the shop to have its timing belt etc replaced and when I got it back the passenger door then worked with my fob (battery had been disconnected an reset everything). Worked for a couple of days and now no longer works again.

Any ideas on what is happening here and what can be done to fix?

TxFireman

I recently bought an 04 limited for my 16 daughter to drive, and it has the same issue on the passenger front. Every once in a while it will work but most of the time it doesn't. It always has some movement, but seldom does it move far enough to lock or unlock the door. It's the same regardless if you're using the fob or the switches inside the vehicle. I have yet to take off the door panel to see about addressing it. I did take a look inside the drivers door when I replaced the door stay. From what I saw there, the actuator looks like it may be a little hard to access, but my main focus was getting the door stay replaced before dark that day, so I didn't spend much time looking at it. Right now it's a low priority for me, with all the other things I have going on, but if I find the time to tackle it I'll report back. Likewise, if anyone else has had this issue I'd like to hear any findings.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Hey all,

Recently bought a Gen 3 2001 Limited. At purchase, the passenger door did not work with the fob or central locking. All other doors locked and unlocked with the fob or lock button inside. I assumed the motor for the actuator was gone and was going to pull it and try to recondition or replace it.

In the meantime it went in to the shop to have its timing belt etc replaced and when I got it back the passenger door then worked with my fob (battery had been disconnected an reset everything). Worked for a couple of days and now no longer works again.

Any ideas on what is happening here and what can be done to fix?

How cold is it where you live?

TxFireman

How cold is it where you live?

I know you're speaking to the OP, but in my case it's not all that cold most days, and we got the Montero when it was still warm and it was already doing it. I have a 97 Z71 that gets sluggish in cold weather, but the Monteros issue is constant.

theonlyale

Vancouver BC so not that cold. Has been around 5-10 deg celsius while this is happening. I just disconnected the battery for some work and it started working again for a few days when I reconnected but has stopped now. Makes me think it is some sort of issue with the SWS (smart wiring system) but cant figure it out.

Thee fact that it works after a battery disconnect leads me to believe actuator and all connections are good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3