Gen 3 Montero Pajero 3.8L fuel or vacuum issues & hyper fuel trims

ylekyote

Hello. I have two 2003 Montero Limited 3.8L, both have 203,000 miles. Both have P017x codes/CEL that say they are running lean on one bank. One for Bank 1 and the other for Bank 2. Occasionally, over the last 3 years, either will have hard start AND crank/no-start problems that seem to stop when it warms up outside (warmer than 55 degree F). Once, this winter, one of them wouldn't start for 3 months (Dec - Mar), then started right up after it had been consistently above 50 degrees F for 10 days.
Newer plugs and wires in both. Cleaned MAF (that looked fine to begin with). I don't notice any vacuum leaks. I use and/or lose about 1-qt engine oil every 1,500 to 2,000 miles. Both have good compression and newer timing belts/tensioners.
Can a bad Upstream Oxygen O2 sensor cause a prolonged crank/no-start? I didn't think so usually. All sensors seem to be running fine voltage-wise (up and down .2 to .8v). However, downstreams all move up and down from .1 to .9 volts constantly, almost as much as Upstreams...I thought downstreams were usually steadier? I find it hard to believe all 3 catalytic converters are bad, which is what hyperactive downstream sensors is supposed to identify, right?

When I watch Short Term Fuel Trims at idle and during steady highway speeds (2500 to 3000 RPM) they seem to constantly change, from -15 to +15 usually, sometimes they'll hit +20 to +25 for short periods.
Long-term Fuel Trims are more steady and usually from +5 to +13.
MAF reads to be okay and responsive from 3.5 to 60+.
Doesn't the cold weather hard and no-start seem to be either vacuum or fuel delivery? Like maybe a leaking fuel injector or hidden vacuum leak?

I'm going to borrow a smoke machine to check vacuum and a fuel pressure gauge. Does anyone know the location to hook up fuel gauge and the needed adapter type the Montero / Pajero use? As well as what RPMs I should test at and how long it should hold pressure and what measurement?

Thank you! willie

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I agree o2 sensor shouldn’t be the source of a no-start condition.
Do you know the history of your coolant temp sensor? That might be a culprit for hard / no starts.

ylekyote

I don't know the history of any coolant sensors. It shows up good on my code reader when I've watched it 3 times since it began running again.

Camsmith

Hey mate,
Did you get a resolution to your no start issue in cold weather.
I am in Australia and have same issue.

ylekyote

Hi. No I didnt discover cause. It just started working in Spring after it wouldn't start for 3-4 months. I tried it every week at least. Now it's been fine ever since. Nothing seems to be wrong. I'm not one to throw unknown parts at things unless very cheap and easy to access them. It did not appear to be cam sensor or crank sensor or temp sensor.

Lookup a guy on YouTube named scanner danner. He has lots of very useful troubleshooting videos.

Have your removed the secondary intake butterflies on yours? I have mine on both 2003 Limiteds. Those will destroy your motor when they fail. One orbmine had ingested parts of them when failed but miraculously didn't get damaged except smashed a spark plug lead.

ylekyote

Hi. No I didnt discover cause. It just started working in Spring after it wouldn't start for 3-4 months. I tried it every week at least. Now it's been fine ever since. Nothing seems to be wrong. I'm not one to throw unknown parts at things unless very cheap and easy to access them. It did not appear to be cam sensor or crank sensor or temp sensor.

Lookup a guy on YouTube named scanner danner. He has lots of very useful troubleshooting videos.

Have your removed the secondary intake butterflies on yours? I have mine on both 2003 Limiteds. Those will destroy your motor when they fail. One orbmine had ingested parts of them when failed but miraculously didn't get damaged except smashed a spark plug lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach