GEN1 Transmission Leak

chadzeilenga

Hi All,
I have a transmission leak on my automatic in my GEN1 LWB that has been eluding me for some time. Since I have owned I have replaced the pan gasket, fill-neck o-ring and the temp switch. I torqued the pan bolts to spec at the time and have since given them another 1/4 turn.

The issue is that at some point when I turn off my Montero the transmission leaks a few drops from the rear area. It’s not immediately, but likely after it has cooled.

I have wiped everything down to try and trace and it’s hard to see up above the pan for any sources.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to check? It’s definitely not coming from the front. I was going to reach up and check that my vent was clear once I check location in FSM.

Also, I don’t think my trans is original to vehicle, where can I get the marking to track down what year it’s from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadzeilenga

Also, I don’t think my trans is original to vehicle, where can I get the marking to track down what year it’s from?

Found the tag on my transmission. It appears I’m not the first person to read it.

a98dbf09ce63eb4d16323b0fa359426b.jpg

Model 03-72 (is this AW372?)
June 1988 MFG
S/N: 88FN62675

My VIN S/N is 146, so this is from 88MY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater