Gen3 Montero vs. Gen3 4Runner

Raff

My wife doesn't love my '89 Land Cruiser, and refuses to trust the safety and reliability of the beast on a extended off-road exploration trip with our 1-year-old. We've owned an 80 series land cruiser, a Tacoma, and a Gen2 Trooper a long time ago. But we've sold all but my Cruiser and my wife's DD.

So a buddy and I had been looking at each getting Gen3 4Runners and rigging them out to do more exploring here in Utah with our families. These would be used for a couple of 2-3 week trip rigs each year, and lots of weekends. Two weeks ago he came over with a sweet 2004 Gen3 Mitsubishi Montero with 80K miles, and for $7,500. I've started to rethink my Gen3 4Runner ideas, mostly because you can get a heck of a lot of Montero for what you would spend on a high-mileage Gen3 4Runner (which seem to go for $6-8K here in Utah). And it performed really well bone stock on some light off-roading along the Wasatch Front. I've sporadically been looking into Monty's for last year or so and know that they're a proven platform just about everywhere else in the world but the US, but now that winter is coming I need to make a decision on this so I can start working on getting it ready for the spring. I've also been very impressed and inspired by ImNoSaint's wicked awesome build.

So my question is this, outside of the availability of after market parts and add-ons, I would love to get folks opinions on why I would want a Gen3 Montero over a Gen3 4Runner, or vice versa?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think you are right. You can get a really nice Montero for the same price. Over the years I have owned several LX450's and Several Montero's and I have always appreciated the Montero's because they are very well thought out. The Montero will make a great expedition style rig because it is reliable, handles great in the dirt at high speed and it has a low center of gravity. In today's world of oversized tires and huge lifts, the gen III Montero went away from the status quo and revolutionized the Luxury SUV market. It was the first to show that a fully independent suspension can be effective offroad when paired with an effective traction control. It really is an innovative SUV and when pair with the right aftermarket modifications it is an excellent rig.

I think many offroaders (including Gen II Owners) are turned off by the Gen III because it is IFS and it lacks a traditional frame setup. Personally that is what makes it a great rig.

I don't really think one rig is better than the other but when you throw in the price factor I think the Montero is the better choice.

Before I bought my Mercedes G500 I tried to purchase a 2005 gen III in Bountiful but someone else snatched it up because I decided to sleep on the decision. I still have some regrets because it was a beautiful vehicle. I drove 20-30 Gen III's before deciding to go with the G500. I had a difficult time finding one in good condition, so if you can find a nice one, I would jump on it.

If you need any help feel free to send a PM, I am just in Farmington.

Spence

Last edited:

Mudrunner

Adventurer
The other thing to think about is if you family grows any more with the 4Runner handle the amount of people and gear? That is something I have to think about in about 4 years I will have to have full gear to keep 4 people safe. My sport will have to go for a larger vehicle. So in 4 years I will shell out more money to replace what I have now because it will be too small for a family of 4 on expo trips.

I was going to get a Gen III and settled on a sport for now. Which barely has enough room in it for three of us. I was planning on a 10 year+ ownership but now looking at every thing it will be like 5. I hate shelling out money on a vehicle every 5 years.

Last edited:

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
You can guess where I stand on this, but I should disclose that I'm constantly comparing to 4Runners and the like, and despite the lack of support and inherent mechanical foibles like the exhaust gasket and rear main seal issues, I have to say that the actual interface with the vehicle, driving position, visibility, flex, tracking, handling and traction fit and feel better than anything else I've driven. And granted that's pretty subjective, but I don't think you'd make a bad or regretful decision going with a Gen III Monty. And thanks for the shout out.

Raff

I think you are right. You can get a really nice Montero for the same price. Over the years I have owned several LX450's and Several Montero's and I have always appreciated the Montero's because they are very well thought out. The Montero will make a great expedition style rig because it is reliable, handles great in the dirt at high speed and it has a low center of gravity. In today's world of oversized tires and huge lifts, the gen III Montero went away from the status quo and revolutionized the Luxury SUV market. It was the first to show that a fully independent suspension can be effective offroad when paired with an effective traction control. It really is an innovative SUV and when pair with the right aftermarket modifications it is an excellent rig.

I think many offroaders (including Gen II Owners) are turned off by the Gen III because it is IFS and it lacks a traditional frame setup. Personally that is what makes it a great rig.

I don't really think one rig is better than the other but when you throw in the price factor I think the Montero is the better choice.

Before I bought my Mercedes G500 I tried to purchase a 2005 gen III in Bountiful but someone else snatched it up because I decided to sleep on the decision. I still have some regrets because it was a beautiful vehicle. I drove 20-30 Gen III's before deciding to go with the G500. I had a difficult time finding one in good condition, so if you can find a nice one, I would jump on it.

If you need any help feel free to send a PM, I am just in Farmington.

Spence

Thanks for the insights. I'm actually in Bountiful myself, and our "light offroading" included going up Farmington Canyon.

Raff

The other thing to think about is if you family grows any more with the 4Runner handle the amount of people and gear? That is something I have to think about in about 4 years I will have to have full gear to keep 4 people safe. My sport will have to go for a larger vehicle. So in 4 years I will shell out more money to replace what I have now because it will be too small for a family of 4 on expo trips.

I was going to get a Gen III and settled on a sport for now. Which barely has enough room in it for three of us. I was planning on a 10 year+ ownership but now looking at every thing it will be like 5. I hate shelling out money on a vehicle every 5 years.

Good point. We only have one right now, but are planning on another in the next couple of years. That's one of the appeals of the Gen3 Montero.

Raff

You can guess where I stand on this, but I should disclose that I'm constantly comparing to 4Runners and the like, and despite the lack of support and inherent mechanical foibles like the exhaust gasket and rear main seal issues, I have to say that the actual interface with the vehicle, driving position, visibility, flex, tracking, handling and traction fit and feel better than anything else I've driven. And granted that's pretty subjective, but I don't think you'd make a bad or regretful decision going with a Gen III Monty. And thanks for the shout out.

We all just want to play in Imnosaint's world. Your Gen3 is awesome.

Thanks for the insights. I'm actually in Bountiful myself, and our "light offroading" included going up Farmington Canyon.

The Gen 3 would be great for trails like Farmington Canyon, but the Gen 3 is far more capable than most of the trails up there. I would not hesitate to take a built up Gen 3 to Moab for the weekend. If you get a Gen 3 and you need help wrenching or you are looking for ideas let me know.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Been doing some thinking on this as well.......I know this is an old thread brought back from the dead, haha

Isn't the gas mileage considerably better in the Montero? Interior size goes hands down to the monty as well. The thing that really gets me is the reliability of the 4runner(especially since it's a non interference engine). In all actuality, it probably isn't any more reliable than the Montero, but besides the "strawberry milkshake" issue, the 4runner is so widely acknowledged as a trouble free rig.
The rear locker is an added bonus in the 4runner. Been thinking about getting rid of my e30 slicktop for another light project to haul the family around, my Excursion eats too much gas, either of these will be an improvement in that dept.

Could find a nice early gen 3 monty for $5 k or a 130k 4runner for $6500. Which would stand the test of time better?
This is a tough one for me, any new insights?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
What year 4runner are you referencing? As far as a locker, I prefer the gen II Montero SR's with the factory locker. Mine has over 290K on on the clock albeit when I purchased it (@180K), the previous owner had toasted their engine (I'm unsure what happened) so they had put in a replacement used engine. Since that time, I almost immediately put on 35's and various other options and with my heavy foot, I get on average 13-14mpg using regular unleaded. It's been serving me well from the git go.

Been doing some thinking on this as well.......I know this is an old thread brought back from the dead, haha

Isn't the gas mileage considerably better in the Montero? Interior size goes hands down to the monty as well. The thing that really gets me is the reliability of the 4runner(especially since it's a non interference engine). In all actuality, it probably isn't any more reliable than the Montero, but besides the "strawberry milkshake" issue, the 4runner is so widely acknowledged as a trouble free rig.
The rear locker is an added bonus in the 4runner. Been thinking about getting rid of my e30 slicktop for another light project to haul the family around, my Excursion eats too much gas, either of these will be an improvement in that dept.

Could find a nice early gen 3 monty for $5 k or a 130k 4runner for $6500. Which would stand the test of time better?
This is a tough one for me, any new insights?

The Gen III Montero is kind of an enigma. The off road community and Montero communities have had a hard time embracing them. Just last week I was speaking with a member who owns two FZJ 80's and a 2003 Montero. He wants to part ways with the Land Cruisers because he likes the Montero much better, but he is concerned about aftermarket support for the Montero. After exchanging a few emails and helping him locate aftermarket suppliers for his Gen III he is feel more comfortable about letting go of his Cruisers. At the end of the day the Gen III Montero will make for a better daily driver and will preform better at high speed on the dirt, like overlanding travel. The gen III 4runner will be better in the rocks, but if you are serious about doing rocks, then get an FZJ 80 or and Jeep.

You can easily find a Gen III in that price range. I would look for a 2003+ because they have the bigger 3.8L engine.

From your comment about leaving the tires stock I would guess the Gen III Montero would be an excellent choice.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Yes, the rig will primarily be for my wife to haul my son and all his stuff around. The other uses would be camping with my family, which in my area, wouldn't need extreme off road capability. My mods on this thing after baseline would be new tires, I have Bfg all terrains on my Excursion and love them, and wheel spacers to fill the wheel wells better. Who knows, the bug might bite be and I'll do a body lift and tires later.....

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Body lift on a gen III will be a bit challenging since it's a body on front/rear subframe construction rather than typical body on frame construction. It can be done but I'm not sure if kits exist for it or if you'd have to fab something up.

That said, suspension lifts do exist for it.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
I wouldn't mind doing a small lift since I'd probably would get to swapping new shocks. Might as well do springs at the same time, but I guess that's how it starts, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater