GEOFish - Expedition Mexico 2010

Cody1771

Explorer
man you guys are serious about your fish! love the videos, i only wish i knew you guys where in my back yard, always down for goin fishing with new people. now... to go waste mucho time watching your videos.

Fishhippie

We picked up some new rubber yesterday, BFG's. Had to go with the whites out - matches the truck hehe.

newBFGs.jpg

Ordered an ARB Awning and Air Compressor. Hopefully pick up the rack and get it put on Monday. Then I will feel like were getting close.

Chuck - Check your PM ;)

Scott - I know you have been literally running all over S.CA since your return. looks like you had just enough time to get home, pet the dog and head back out the door. We wont be heading south of the border till the 17th. Hopefully we can hook up soon. Im stoked to see more photos from your trip man.

Kas/Cody - Thanks for the love on the films. Were gonna do our best on this next go around for sure and will hopefully deliver. Terry, I hope those were steelhead you were chasin last week. With any luck, cooler temps and some rain will send another big push.

For those who have made the crossing in and out of Baja we are looking at different options. Any suggestions regarding which border town to cross thorough and why would be appreciated. Last time we went to BC we got to know the Canadian Border Patrol real good. We know we are a red light typically because of all the gear we have with us.

Last edited:

Darwin

Explorer
Darwin... Where are those pics taken? Looks alot like a town I have spent years in... Maybe in southern Nayarit? A left and a right?
Yep they are in Nayarit. San Blas and Sayulita. Sayulita has the left and right. I am driving back down there in a few months. This time hopefully Cummins powered!

This is awesome!! Can't wait to see the videos from your trip.

Will you be carrying Kayaks? shore fishing? Hiring boats? I guess all of the above is also an option.

Fishhippie

Quick update on the GEOFish project.

The truck build is coming together nicely and we are nearly ready for departure. We've been held up by shipping and equipment delays so we are all anxious to get the expedition started. One more shipment with all our solar panels is due to arrive Monday.

We finally got the ARE topper adjusted and sealed. Kargo Rack got a spare tire mount on the top, cooler basket, and mounts for the Gheenoes (canoes).
ARB canopy attached. IPF lights mounted and ready to disco.

We are getting all our other gear inventoried and we will start packing up the truck tomorrow. If all goes well we will be crossing the border early in the a.m. on Wednesday.

We have been shooting a lot of film and will have our first video post up before we leave.

A few photos of our progress,

rig1.jpg

MOTIV_BRJ17.jpg

MOTIV_BRJ16.jpg

MOTIV_BRJ11.jpg

Peace
TR

rg050308

Looks like an awesome trip I can't wait to see the video! I've been a big fan of your past works and I always try to make it to the flyfishing film tour when it hits the Northeast. Tight lines & safe travels!

Fishhippie

Well, all of us at Motiv would like to apologize for our lack of keeping our progress up to date. The majority of our trip has kept is far off the grid away from internet connections and civilization, and when we did get to a wi fi spot, most of the time was spent capturing our footage to the hard drives and catching up with family before we had to boogie quickly to our next location.

Our trip is winding up. I am happy to report that our vehicle made it all the way from Portland Oregon to Cancun and with only minor repairs. We busted the transfer case mounts and broke two leaf springs but were able to get the repairs done fairly inexpensively. Hauling 300+ gallons of used vegetable oil on our trailer for nearly the entire trip definitely added to the drive line and suspension stress factor, but we made it and that is what matters.

The trip has been epic, both with its ups and downs but I know none of us would ever trade the experience.

We managed to put together a couple of clips we shot on the iphone. We will be putting together more footage from along the road and posting them up as we get them finished.

Our time now will be spent in the editing room putting a film together.
We will have a short piece that will be touring with the Fly Fishing Film Tour this winter.

We are putting the truck in a storage unit in Cancun and then plan on coming back down to Mexico later this summer to continue the expedition, fishing and filming and eventually making our way to Panama.

We hope you enjoy the clips.

Best,
TR

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C27SkhW_qiY"]YouTube - BAJA BOUND[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJtjcYuuMA"]YouTube - BAJA RAMBLE[/ame]

Fishhippie

Mexico Complete - Staging for Part 2 Central America

COSTA_preview_21.jpg

MOTIV_MEX_Leg1.jpg

We have been total slackies keeping our adventure up to date on the Expedition Portal. We've been back for a few months now putting together all our footage (over 200 hours) and are shooting for a November release of the DVD.

It seems that all the time spent on the road is met equally with time in the editing studio. Needless to say, it is a lot more fun being on the road but the film is looking awesome and we can't wait till its finished.

Currently we are staging our continuation for the next adventure in Central America.
In the mean time we uploaded some photos in a new Album from our Mexico adventure, you can view the album here
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=924

....and we have moved our blog over to Costa's Watery Rave.
http://wateryrave.com/category/remote-fly-fishing/

There are also a few short video journals up on our Youtube page which highlight a few of our memorable moments from breakdowns, big bugs, fish camp and the Baja 1000
http://www.youtube.com/user/MOTIVFISHING

So with Baja and Mexico in the rearview we will begin the next chapter in Central America this September. We will add a new topic over on the In Progress Adventures soon.

Viva La Mexico!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design