Getting water out

HoneyBadger

Observer
So I just sank my rig yesterday and took on a lot of water. That's how i found out that the linkage to my transfer case was broken. Any way what's the best way/tips/tricks to get rid it? Thanks.

Last edited:

tonkaman

Adventurer
Wow that's impressive! I've never taken on water like that do I have no clue. The obvious ideas are a shop vac and towels. After that rent some ventilation fans and blast them through the cab to move as much air as possible in there.

Shop vac work for me in past. I also removed the carpet to air dry after vacuuming the water out. I used cotton towels to remove the left over water from the floor and then let the cab air dry.

tarditi

Explorer
pull all the carpet out and dry it thoroughly in the sun - any upholstered panels inside get waterlogged?

Wipe down the metal parts - they should largely be OK. Any driveline vents get water in them? Check them for fluid fouling. (oil, diff fluid, trans)

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
I'd also get some dinghy bungs (drain plugs) installed if I were inclined to attempt things like this again.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
Any carpet or padding that is left in the Jeep will hold water for a long time, so get out as much of the soaked stuff as you can. You'll probably want to hose out the mud, anyway. If it were mine, I'd put it on jack stands so that only one wheel is left on the ground, probably the right/front. That is to get the remaining water all flowing to one point so that you can more easily vacuum or mop it out. Set up multiple fans inside and maybe a small propane heater to warm the air, because warm air holds/carries more moisture than cold air. Another possibility is to use a small fan-forced electric heater, but that will burn a lot of kwh. Or a fan forced construction heater that runs on kerosene, diesel or propane (construction guys call them salamanders). Home Depot has them fairly cheaply and you can often find them on CraigsList at this time of year. If electronics or connectors took on water, try shooting them with a little WD-40, as you would with a wet distributor cap (remember distributors?). The WD stands for "water displacement," and it actually works. And judicious use of compressed air can help a lot.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Put it in a bag of rice.

salvage.png

There's always a relevant XKCD.

HoneyBadger

Observer
Thanks for all the responses and advice. So I managed to pull the carpet and used a wet vac and got all the water out. I did put it on stands to get the water to one side like suggested, it sure helped a lot. After pulling the carpet I realized just how many wires are under there and boy is there a lot. I checked all the connectors and what not. Everything seems to be ok. I'm going to change the diff fluid tomorrow. I did extend the breathers but rear was pretty deep and just want to be safe. Thanks.

fiddypal

Adventurer
Like others have said make sure you get any and all upholstery out and completely dry. Otherwise your looking at a serious mold/mildew problem! Best of luck let us know how it goes.

lugueto

Adventurer
carpets and especially insulation material will stay soaked for a very, very long time.

I see you removed the carpets, leave them in the sun for a long while. As well as the insulation. You can pressure wash the carpet to get all the mud out and then leave it to dry.

Most vehicles have drain holes in the floor pans, these are covered by removable rubber grommets. I haven't pulled the carpet on a Jeep yet but they should have them. These help remove any water beneath the carpets.

Leave the vehicle with all doors open and a large fan running inside it. Make sure the carpet and insulation is completely dry before reinstalling, or else it will stink.

I've had more water in my vehicle than that and after some good care, you can't really tell. All you need is patience to dry and clean everything out.

Make sure to check all driveline fluids that were partially or completely submerged, if you were in there for a while (even a short one) diffs, transmission and TC's can take in water really easily and it will kill them sooner than you might think. Replace any fluid that have even a trace of water in it.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I Haven't submerged a "modern vehicle" but here is what I have done for CJ and YJ etc. Jeeps;
Pull the carpet and pressure wash it then completely dry it .
Pull the floor plugs and drain the interior, a wet/dry shop vac helps both with water and water soaked fabric seats. I leave the carpet and drain plugs out (it gives the fish a way to escape).
Completely regrease all greaseable (having zerks) suspension and drivetrain/U-joint points.
Older vehicles without unit bearing front axle bearings, typically with manual hubs/lockouts, should have the front bearings disassembled and regreased; bearing failure on the road is a major PITA.
Check the engine, transmission, transfer case, power steering and differentials for water (milky/foamy fluid) drain and replace if found.
If you go really deep you may have to drain the fuel tank and separate the fuel from the water.

BTW; always double ziplock your wallet before entering the water ...'cause "it ain't deep until you wallet is submerged", while driving, or the water comes over the tailgate...

Enjoy!

doug720

Expedition Leader
Rent a dehumidifier and place it in the vehicle after you remove any wet carpet, pad, seats, foam, door panels, etc. There is water in places you can't imagine.

One of big concerns is how much of the electrical system got wet. Water will/can cause nightmare problems down the road in modern vehicles.

Consider calling your insurance company now. Water damage like this will often cause a vehicle to be considered a total loss. If you don't make a claim now, any problems down the road will not be covered.

Modern vehicles don't like water.

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Be careful with insurance... if you were on a Forest Service Road you might be OK, but some insurance companies will not cover off-road accidents I have heard (no experience)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach