Give me the truth, are Land Rovers complete crap?

wmflyfisher

Observer
I've been debating on a Range Rover Sport for my next vehicle. Probably an 06-09 model due to my budget. I've owned Toyota's my whole life. Tacomas, 4runners, pickups, fj40's, you name it except for my latest truck which is a Chevy Z71 08 model that I use to pull my 20ft boat. I do like the Chevy but thought about trying something else for a change.

I have a company vehicle so this will not be a daily driver. I put about 5-8k miles on it a year. I've been looking at the RR sport but everybody I talk to says NO to Land Rovers unless I can get one that's still in the warranty period. What are your thoughts on this? I know your opinions may be skewed due to this site but I figured I'd get the real truth.

I've always worked on my own vehicles and I have 9 years of shop experience. I'm thinking if anything fails short of something major I should be able to take care of it myself vs going to the dealer.

I would most likely have to purchase one over the 100k mile mark.

Thoughts?

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Short answer: NO. Land Rovers are not crap.

They are NOT however toyotas that you can abuse and avoid maintenance for years. They do need more attention.

The 06-09 period was actually a very good time for QC, reliability went up dramatically. RR, RRS, and LR3 are good choices.

If you want one, look for the KBB price. Well-loved examples will cost more, abused ones cost less. Anything you think of buying, get it inspected at a Land Rover dealership. It will be a huge help in identifying areas needing attention/avoiding a money-pit.

As for DIY work, a lot of stuff has how-to's now, but you will likely need something like a GAP tool for the amount of computers these things have. Expensive but SO worth it.

Hope this helps :)

A.J.M

Explorer
If you want Toyota reliability. Buy another Toyota.

At that mileage it's going to start to want some suspension work done to replace worn bushes, it may still be on the Hitachi compressor, which can be easily changed to the later and far superior AMK model.
Plenty of guides to show how to work on them and also plenty of buyers guides to show what to look for.
With lots of electronic items, a healthy battery and alternator are VERY important, one of those failing can throw cascading faults that would have you think it's dying.

I would say a RRS would live an easier life than a LR3 as its more a city poser car.
It is however, an LR3 with 5 inches out the chassis and a different body shell on top.

I always have a slush fund to take care of little things my 3 needs. I've pushed a very through maintenance programme on it as I need mine for work. It's now on 154,307 miles. Which in US terms is not huge, in U.K. Terms, that's a lot as people are scared of things above 100k.

I need my 3 for work, it has to be reliable and bar a couple of garage inflicted problems, it's been pretty good with me.
Land rovers are not crap, they just like a bit of TLC every now and again.

evilfij

Explorer
Yes. Yes they are crap. I have driven them 300k miles and I was on the back of a flatbed once and that was my fault as I knew what was wrong I just had not got around to fixing it.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
It should be mentioned there is that one guy on your side of the pond with 650,000+ km on the clock

Ditto everything AJM says

wmflyfisher

Observer
Thanks guys and my entent is definitely not to offend anybody by asking the question. I just want to know what to look for if I start looking at them.

Taking to a dealer is a good recommendation but that may not be feasible with my schedule and where I may have to drive to purchase one. We will see though.

xCSx

Adventurer
I still debate buying a D1 every week - I think I am going to finally pull the trigger soon... $3K or less with 120K or less on the clock

You aren't paying the toyota premium, but it sure has character...

huskyfargo

Adventurer
My 08 LR3 has been the best, most reliable vehicle I've EVER owned. Yes, it requires regular maintenance, but it can now be done at a reasonable price. After having traveled to all 48 lower states, I'm planning a trip in the next couple years to Alaska, and I have nearly 150k on the clock.

krick3tt

Adventurer
If you can't get to a dealer to inspect it you better have a good friend that knows Rovers well if you are buying a used one. You have no idea what the PO has done or not done to the vehicle. Once you have a good one, respect a maintenance schedule like any reasonable person should do. Treat it like crap and it will let you down.
There are a lot of electronics on the newer ones and having a good idea of what is going on will get you much farther down the road.
Not crap at all but if as the other poster says, if you want Toyota reliability...get a Toyota.

99Discovery

Adventurer
As mentioned before, the '06+ jag powered Rovers are the most reliable. Heck, I have a Discovery 2, which is what gave them the "junk" reputation (and the Freelander sealed the deal). That said, it's the most reliable used car I've ever bought, heck, it even has a helical geared transfer case.

All you have to do is keep tabs on the engine cooling (and pray you don't slip a liner), then wheel it and have fun.

All I wish I had was full-float axles like the D1.

I'd buy a Range Rover Sport any day of the weak. However, ironically, I'm looking at FJ Cruisers as a "cheaper to maintain" option as a daily work driver for a RRS, so that I can keep $$ to mod the D2.

A.J.M

Explorer
Ah, that D3 now has over 720,000 miles on it.
It's the tdv6 engine. Original one went at 478k, not sure what happened but he stuck another in it.
The autobox got changed at 330k, we learned a lot from him and that car about gearboxes and oil changes.

He said ZF, the box maker says it should have an oil change every 50k and lower if towing lots.

An Expo guy got a RRS and built it up for a mix of daily driving and off roading.
Would be worth checking that out as well for mods you can do.

My suggestion is drive one. I'm not the tallest or biggest at 5"8 and 11 stone but I found it crampt compared to my 3.

H

High Country Nomads

From experience, I love driving Land Rovers on & off road. However my wallet & wife had a different experience - in my own opinion I almost think they are destined for greatness or constant trouble. I've had friends own a variety of LR's from 2000 thru 2014 and they were all perfect. I however owned an 03' Disco & 06' Sport from new until they both hit about 180,000 miles. The 03' was in the shop every 3 months for something that cost me $2000.00 to fix and the 06' RRS was in the shop probably once a month after I turned 90,000 miles. The truth is, if I had been mechanically savvy I probably would not have taken them to the shop as much, but I'm not and couldn't afford to be stranded. I also kept up on the maintenance to the mile every time with at certified LR shops and still had failures. I now own 2 Toyota's and have had zero issues in 36 months. In the end, I'd consider getting an LR4 in the future, but only as a highway cruiser.

lwg

One thing to think about with the RRS. They are not made for people over about 6' tall unlike other Land Rovers. I'm 6'4" and I have no hope of ever driving or riding in a RRS comfortably. IMO, get a full bodied Range Rover or LR3/4. They all weigh the same. We have a 2010 Range Rover Supercharged which comes with the rear locker standard. Lots of interior space and power. They make sliders and racks for these trucks and that's really all you need for 90% of the wheeling out there. Some day it will replace my D2 in its off-road duties.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Red90

Adventurer
All I wish I had was full-float axles like the D1.

Disco 2s do have full floating axles.

The junk reputation came about long before the Discos.

Anyway. A modern RR is as reliable as anything else. As with all expensive modern vehicles they are complicated and have a lot of expensive things to go wrong.

DorB

Adventurer
Fast quiz..

One landi is down for electrical issues..
One had the a 3rd flat in 2 days due to the skinny tire&rim forced by the factory, and the third one is between breakdowns..(Last one was suspension collapse during highway drive..)

Can you spot who is who?

IMG_1664S.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues