Gladiator Mojave vs Rubicon

Maloppa

Observer
I searched for this topic, but didn't find any discussion threads. For those of you overloading the Gladiator, who has an opinion or stats on using the Mojave model vs Rubicon model? I've finally decided on moving forward with the Gladiator as my next adventure vehicle and planned to purchase a Rubicon. Then with a little research, the Mojave may be a better option for travel. Any info or suggestions? Thanks

Cedo Nulli

Observer
Off the lot, the Mojave has a better suspension setup to support the added weight of adding overlanding kit. The stock Rubicon suspension is very soft...if you start adding additional gear/weight, the body roll gets to be significant. The stiffer suspension is also why the Mojave has better road manner than the Rubicon. Both are very capable off-road with the Mojave made for more high-speed, pre-runner open desert/dune type, while the Rubicon's suspension is obviously tuned for the slower, crawler or rocky terrain...its largely dependent on your intended use to recommend one trim over the other.

That said, if you plan to add an aftermarket suspension lift down the road, I would say the Rubicon is the better trim line with the front/rear lockers. I don't understand the folks that buy the Mojave and then completely gut the suspension.

If you plan on going with a bed rack, RTT, and a ton of gear (or small trailer towing), you may want to beef up the rear springs, look at adjustable shocks, or add a air lift to compensate.

jadmt

ignore button user
I was set on a Mojave than decided on a Rubicon (I have had 4 rubicon wranglers all fairly built) because I did not want to give up the front locker and the morning I went to sign the papers I screwed up and test drove a Power wagon while I was killing some time. There is no comparison between the comfort level of the Gladiator and a Power Wagon.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
While I didn’t purchase a Gladiator, the frame reinforcements of the Mojave sold me on that model. Adding a front locker is much easier/cheaper than the frame and suspension improvements would cost.
I have had a Power Wagon, though it was a few years ago, with the 5.7 Hemi, and I loved it! The dismal fuel mileage killed it for me after a coast to coast trip never seeing double digit mpg!!

jadmt

ignore button user
While I didn’t purchase a Gladiator, the frame reinforcements of the Mojave sold me on that model. Adding a front locker is much easier/cheaper than the frame and suspension improvements would cost.
I have had a Power Wagon, though it was a few years ago, with the 5.7 Hemi, and I loved it! The dismal fuel mileage killed it for me after a coast to coast trip never seeing double digit mpg!!
fortunately I get good mpg I think the 8 speed helps and also not having to drag race everyone at every stop light helps as well I have taken several long road trips. 4 times from Missoula MT to Rochester MN and 3 to Moab etc and always get 16-17mpg.
5421.JPEG

toddz69

Explorer
fortunately I get good mpg I think the 8 speed helps and also not having to drag race everyone at every stop light helps as well I have taken several long road trips. 4 times from Missoula MT to Rochester MN and 3 to Moab etc and always get 16-17mpg.
View attachment 768398
Not to get too off topic but is that one of the recent re-interpretations (for lack of a better term?) of the Bridgestone XO-1 leaning against your truck? Looks like a sweet ride in any case - both the truck and the bike!

Todd Z.

jadmt

ignore button user
Not to get too off topic but is that one of the recent re-interpretations (for lack of a better term?) of the Bridgestone XO-1 leaning against your truck? Looks like a sweet ride in any case - both the truck and the bike!

Todd Z.
yes it is. it is a pretty fun ride. they did a pretty good job of replicating the X0-1. You must be into that kind of thing as 99.9% of the world has no idea what they are :). I looked for years for a real X0-1 in my size but finally gave up and Handsome got this project going. It is actually the second time as handsome built a run of them in like 2010 or so and then again in 2022 (actually started like in 2020 or 2021 but took forever to come to fruition. I got mine in July and have put about 4000 miles on it so far.

toddz69

Explorer
yes it is. it is a pretty fun ride. they did a pretty good job of replicating the X0-1. You must be into that kind of thing as 99.9% of the world has no idea what they are :). I looked for years for a real X0-1 in my size but finally gave up and Handsome got this project going. It is actually the second time as handsome built a run of them in like 2010 or so and then again in 2022 (actually started like in 2020 or 2021 but took forever to come to fruition. I got mine in July and have put about 4000 miles on it so far.

Yeah, I'm as quirky with my bikes as I am with my motor vehicles. I've been a Bridgestone fan forever and had a MB-3 and a MB-Zip back in the day. I wanted a XO-1 in later years but realized they didn't make them big enough for me (I'm 6'4") so I ended up with a 64cm Rivendell Atlantis (with mustache bars) which I still ride today. It's been stolen twice but somehow it keeps making its way back to me.

Todd Z.

Maloppa

Observer
Thanks Cedo Nulli, re-enforces my thought process. Living in the South East, long travel with overloading gear in the rear is the plan. I've put a deposit down on a 21 Mojave. I've got a LJ I can use for the rocks if wanted. I can always throw a front locker in the Mojave if needed.

DirtWhiskey

Western Dirt Rat
I was really looking at the Mojave until I learned it doesn't come with the Ecodiesel. The 3rd gen ED (NOT 1st or 2nd gen) are really holding up well and are in a very mature state in it's development cycle. Maybe the best small diesel out there. Of course Chrysler is cancelling it doh! These things need a V8 badly IMHO or go with the grunt of the ED. Just my opinion.

I'm now torn between the Gladiator and a Ram Rebel or 1500 with the off-road package. I know the ram will drive way better and make the wife happier. First world problems.

jadmt

ignore button user
I was really looking at the Mojave until I learned it doesn't come with the Ecodiesel. The 3rd gen ED (NOT 1st or 2nd gen) are really holding up well and are in a very mature state in it's development cycle. Maybe the best small diesel out there. Of course Chrysler is cancelling it doh! These things need a V8 badly IMHO or go with the grunt of the ED. Just my opinion.

I'm now torn between the Gladiator and a Ram Rebel or 1500 with the off-road package. I know the ram will drive way better and make the wife happier. First world problems.
agree after owning 4 jeeps with 3.6’s a loaded gladiator would not cut it with a 3.6 Especially after slapping 37’s on it as that is the only way they look proper.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
If you want to go fast, get the Mojave. If you want to go slowly or at medium speeds, get the Rubicon. If you're concerned that the Rubicon's springs are too soft, add a set of Airlift or Firestone airbags.

You can't get the diesel with the Mojave. Or the 4:1 transfer case. Or the disconnecting sway bar. Adding any of those would be a pain. But it's pretty easy to add some fancy shocks to the Rubicon to make it go fast like a Mojave, and still have all the other Rubicon advantages.

LOKNLOD

I spent a lot of brain cycles considering this exact thing last year. I was so back and forth on the topic, that the decision ended up coming down to price - I found an identically-optioned pair of Rubicon and Mojave trucks headed to a dealer, and chose the Rubi because they'd discount it ~$5k or so and wouldn't deal on the Mojave. I also know I can't leave well enough alone and the Rubicon has more (easy) modification options down the road. A couple months later my wife and I made a 2500mi loop trip around NM, UT, CO in it. In the meantime another jeep-owning friend and I convinced a 3rd buddy to buy and he ended up with a Mojave, and so I've got to spend a wee bit more time with one now.

I think it's very much a "begin with the end in mind" exercise. What's the end goal here?

Mojave:
+Advanced suspension in stock form
+Reinforced frame, iron knuckles - durability
- Advanced suspension may limit (or be wasted by) future suspension modifications
+ A bit more front tire clearance out of the gate
- No front locker
+/- Std. low range T-case
+/- Cosmetics (Subjective - orange, hood scoop)
- no front swaybar disconnect
- no Diesel option
+ slightly wider track width, IIRC the oem wheels are spaced a bit wider and may better accommodate going up a diameter (if they're wide enough).

Rubicon:
+Front Locker
+/- 4:1 tcase
+ front swaybar disconnect
+/- softer suspension, but with more modification options down the road
+/- cosmetics (red, vented hood)
+ diesel available (if you want that sort of thing)
- Aluminum knuckles unless you get the diesel

I think the most overlooked, subtle but biggest real difference on the trail is the T-case. The 4:1is amazing on highly technical rock stuff but is really low, leaving you with a pretty big gap between 4-lo and 4-hi. This might be further influenced by your transmission choice, with different gearing in the auto (my choice) vs. the manual. Still, I think the the Mojave's standard case is a PRO for "overland" type camping, mild trail, exploring type stuff. Not discounting that it was my first trip in a new vehicle so I was feeling it out, but around Moab I found myself in many cases wanting a little lower than 4-hi but annoyed by the super low of 4-lo.

Beyond that, getting back to the "begin with the end in mind" comment....
Obviously, if you have a strong preference for one use case or the other - desert woops or technical trails - the choice is fairly obvious.
If you plan to leave it mostly mechanically stock, and use it on the road and mild trails - lots to like about the Mojave.
If you want more reserve capacity for low-speed technical driving, or want to get gnarlier with suspension lift/tire mods in the future, Rubi may be the way to go.

Get this
gladiator rubicon loaded lifted with metal cloak 3.5 super winch rebel bed rack GFC super light Did I mention heated seats and steering wheel? Since it’s snowing in CA ?
And much more
my thoughts areyou are going to be going fast through the desert more leisurely pace. Exploring camping. So the best tool for the job fits Nothing like having the confidence of a winch and 2 lockers to go where you want

Attachments

• 9E445E65-1256-4595-AE14-68E3CD73E85C.jpeg
    9E445E65-1256-4595-AE14-68E3CD73E85C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
  • EDB06FCE-D234-419E-A200-0BFDA035DE6D.jpeg
    EDB06FCE-D234-419E-A200-0BFDA035DE6D.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger