GlobalJet's attempt at a M416 Rebuild

GlobalJet

Was looking for, or to build expedition-style trailer to drag behind my DII. Liked the size/design of the highly modifiable M416. From local CL listing found a 1967 M416 in pretty decent shape. Completely intact, all original, no mods beyond 12v lighting. Came w/ extra set of pwdr coated rims, set of new bearings/seals, original military lights, tarp, and tarp support. Appeared to be all just surface rust, hand brake still worked. Made deal and towed it to the 'rebuild facility'.

IMG_6724.jpg

IMG_6782.jpg

IMG_6787.jpg

After researching most of the builds on this forum, decided I'd have frame and tub blasted and powder coated, flip original springs for additional height, and attempt to bolt DII wheels, using adapters, to the stock hubs. Lot's of posts regarding different rim bolt on's; stock Jeep, new axle/hubs to match rims… Couldn't find any data on the DII (5 on 120mm) rims, so as I type adaptitusa.com are making a pair of adapters. We'll see how that turns out.

The frame and accessories are back from from pwdr coating. Very pleased with results. When I picked up the frame I dropped the tub off for same treatment. Frame was coated in semi-gloss black. The tub will be grey, to match the DII. Here's some shots of the frame re-assembly. 'Flipped' the axle to bottom of stock springs, new CJ3 shocks from JC Whitney, and new axle U-bolts from AutoZone. Replacing all simple hdw with stainless steel.

IMG_7076.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

IMG_7077.jpg

IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7101.jpg

IMG_7082.jpg

Last edited:

GlobalJet

Will you be color matching the tub to the DII?

Yes - Was going to have it blasted, primed, then painted by same shop who painted truck - Land Rover's Pembroke Grey, a color used on Defenders in the 90's. But, the coating shop tells me they can pretty much match color with pwdr coat, for less total cost.

Tub on the way to shop;

IMG_7071.jpg

Last edited:

GlobalJet

Axle bolted on, park brake cable rigged, and both bearings repacked, thought I'd check tow height/level since stock wheels/tires are pretty much same size as LR tires to be used in the final assembly. By simply flipping springs/axle and using top lunette mount, by chance it's fairly level.

IMG_7128.jpg

Next came wiring. Pretty standard stuff. All the lights, including the original military lights, were meant to grounded directly to the frame, but as the powder coat was so thick, and I didn't want to grind a bunch of bare spots, I kept the ground wire from the truck going, running it to each light. Since I have zero training or knowledge of electricity, this made sense to me. The lights all work, for now at least. I also got rid of the standard 'Flat 4' connector, and wired the harness directly into the stock LR plug. Looks cool, and assures no one can borrow trailer in the future.

IMG_7140.jpg

IMG_7141.jpg

Last edited:

GlobalJet

Land Rover Discovery II wheel adapters

Hub adapters arrived. Perfect fit. AdaptItUSA made them; 5 on 5 1/2 to 5 on 120mm (Land Rover Discovery II), 2" thick, with 14x1.5 studs, and 7/16"-20 lugs for adapter. The inner side is recessed enough to accommodate stock hub-centric flange and grease cap. Both adapter and rim lugs are tapered, so adapter and wheel centers themselves. With some backyard engineering, I believe this set up should be able to handle the 1k lb gross weight.
In all the research, measuring, emails, and ordering that went into these adapters, I failed to remember one very important thing; I'll need x10 lug nuts. Ordered yesterday from Lucky8. Here's a few shots of the dry fitting of my spare, (BFG A/T 265/70-16)

IMG_7166.jpg

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

Awaiting on lugs for first road test
IMG_7170.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

JPNCA

Adventurer
Great build
Do you plan on running those wires though a hose or at least have grommets in the holes
If not when it rubs through the insulation you going to have all kinds of problems
Just trying to help hope it helps

GlobalJet

Are you making wider fenders for full coverage?

No plans to as of now. Looks like the new tires will extrude about 2" - CT DMV laws allowed me to register it w/o inspection, and my local cop buddies tell me as long any load is secure and it's obviously not a road hazard, it shouldn't be a problem.

GlobalJet

… Do you plan on running those wires though a hose or at least have grommets in the holes
If not when it rubs through the insulation you going to have all kinds of problems

Yea. That was just a pic of the install process (beer break) - All the holes have rubber grommets, and that length of the 'harness' was wrapped w/ electrical tape end to end. All the connections shrink wrapped. The mil lights that came w/ trailer, which the last owner never used and came in a box, looked brand new, and highly water resistant. Although I don't plan on getting too hard core w/ the trailer off road, I do think someday I just may test its ability to float - just 'cause - so trying to make everything stand up to that standard.

IMG_6857.jpg

IMG_7148.jpg

My truck at the local 'proving grounds'. Someday.

11052200 (31).jpg

GlobalJet

In an attempt to utilize as many original parts as poss, I copied some other post's idea and simply extended landing leg. Found 4' steel "C" channel stock at the Home D. Thinking about carrying a wooden wedge for leveling when tent goes on.

IMG_7176.jpg

The $60 eBay DII rims (16" 'S' model, '03/'04). Not bad cleaned up, but useless w/o lugs, which should be here tomorrow.

IMG_7174.jpg

GlobalJet

Apparently the "C" channel stock was not up to the challenge. Fabricated another one and backed it up with a scrap piece of steel I got at local fab shop. Ideally one piece of 1/4" stock would work but having trouble finding it locally.
Better it fail in shop then in middle of night with the tent on it.

IMG_7183.jpg

Lugs and center caps arrived. Road tested OK, nothing fell off. The frame now is now 100%. The tub gets picked up Wed.

IMG_7193.jpg

IMG_7200.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL