GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

frazbmw

Afm as when 4 cylinders are no longer active. I know this was implemented in 5.3 engines on Sierra's and other gm models in 2007 but I can't find anything definite on that particular management system being on the Savannah or express.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

sackettmw

Would I be correct in stating that none of the Express 5.3 engines have active fuel management?
I believe you are correct. The newer half ton vans had their own 5.3 code LMF. I think it might have had VVT but not AFM. AFM is bad. I'm also pretty sure that nothing with a 4 speed had AFM

frazbmw

Thanks, I saw on wiki the 2010s on didn't but I wasn't sure about that 07-10. Makes sense about the 4 speeds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

thedirtdiz

Dont do shock extenders, you wont be happy with the results. Go with Bilstien 5100 for the front and rear. I have been very pleased with mine.

ZonaHolsters

Good morning all. I'm new to the forum. I just picked up a 2005 GMC Savana awd with barn doors on both sides. Only 78k miles, no leaks and super clean, got it for $5k. I didn't realize how lucky I got until I started looking into making it more of an outdoor adventure van. I have a buddy that is a metal fabricator making custom rock sliders/ step bars at the moment. I'll post some updated photos when it's done. I just wanted to introduce myself and the new rig.

Attachments

• 20180705_151733.jpg
    20180705_151733.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20180628_142916_922.jpg
    IMG_20180628_142916_922.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20180628_142228_797.jpg
    IMG_20180628_142228_797.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20180628_142228_796.jpg
    IMG_20180628_142228_796.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20180628_142916_926.jpg
    IMG_20180628_142916_926.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 62

Choff

Adventurer
Good morning all. I'm new to the forum. I just picked up a 2005 GMC Savana awd with barn doors on both sides. Only 78k miles, no leaks and super clean, got it for $5k. I didn't realize how lucky I got until I started looking into making it more of an outdoor adventure van. I have a buddy that is a metal fabricator making custom rock sliders/ step bars at the moment. I'll post some updated photos when it's done. I just wanted to introduce myself and the new rig.

GREAT FIND!! , vanning never gets old
I have 196,000 miles on the same year GMC AWD full conversion, 150,000 miles are all mine! They just keep running

Sixinarow

Adventurer
Not sure if this exactly fits here but...

Advanced 4x4 out of Salt Lake City is doing 4x4 conversions on the new Chevy Expresses. I drove a 2018 last week with their 3" lift/conversion and the 2.8L Duramax.

45Kevin

Adventurer

Nice van, very similar to mine when I got it.
You'll love it.
It would probably be best to start a separate build thread and keep this thread to general information on AWD Chevy/GMCs.
Every one will be interested to see your custom sliders. You should post a link to yours in this thread.

Choff

Adventurer
Not sure if this exactly fits here but...

Advanced 4x4 out of Salt Lake City is doing 4x4 conversions on the new Chevy Expresses. I drove a 2018 last week with their 3" lift/conversion and the 2.8L Duramax.
Why not?? because it does not have a 3" lift and stuff all over the van for wheeling ? We all got to start with something. It's a AWD Van

camrg77

Hi All-

I am new to the forum, though I have been lurking long enough to get the ball rolling on some modifications to my van. I recently purchased a 2004 Chevy Express AWD with barn doors on both sides (same configuration as ZonaHolster's GMC a few post up). It came with bad (deeply cracked) tires, and I had a few road trips planned, so that accelerated the timeline for getting the tires and lift installed. I went with what seems to be a common setup: Rough Country 1.5-2.5" torsion keys, General Spring 2900lb Suburban leaf springs, and Bilsteins all around. Ended up keeping the stock 16" steel wheels for now (because I couldn't find the style I was looking for with the right offset in a hurry) and installed 265/75R16 BFG AT 10-plies. With 190k miles on the stock suspension, the ride was very soft and bouncy, but it rides and drives very well now. The one issue I would note is a little bit of steering wobble over hard bumps at highway speeds, because the maximum caster angle my alignment shop could achieve after the lift was 2.2 degrees.

In general the van has been great, but I've had a couple engine issues, and I was hoping someone on here would have insight. I know there are a million forums out there to get support for basic repair issues, but most of the 5.3L threads are from people with pickups or SUVs, and there is very little out there for van owners. I have an overheating issue and I'm wondering if its specific to the van configuration, and I'm hoping its not what I think it is (a cracked head or bad head gasket). The engine temp creeps up in two situations: idling along in bumper-to-bumper traffic, or maintaining highway speeds up steep grades; so basically low air-flow or extended time at high load. In both cases, it will creep up toward ~235F. The first time it happened I wasn't paying attention to the gauge, and near the top of a long hill (5 miles of 6% grade, maintaining 60mph, roughly 80F exterior temp) the warning bell/light went on and when I looked down it was somewhere around 250F. Now that I am aware of the issue, I am able to take things easier and keep the max temp closer to that 235F. Once the road levels off, the temperature quickly drops back down. When it gets hot while idling, once the van starts moving steadily at all, same thing; temperature drops and stabilizes. Most of the time the temperature is stable at one notch below 210 (so 195ish). I just drove the van from Portland to Victoria BC and back with no issues; 70mph up I5 for hours and the temperature was rock solid. However, sitting in construction traffic for 30min in Victoria and the temp hit 235F. The second issue, which I hope is unrelated, is a misfire on cylinder 2. I've replaced plugs and wires, and the coil on cyl 2, but the issue persists. I have not checked cylinder pressure or fuel trim yet. Misfire+overheating has me worried about a head issue. The reason I hold out hope is that (if you ignore the lights and gauges) the van runs great, has a smooth idle, plenty of power, no smoke, no chocolate milk in the oil, and isn't consuming any coolant. Anyone have similar overheating issues? I appreciate the help.

IMG_20180701_110404[1].jpgIMG_20180705_195404[1].jpg.

Best,
Cameron

sackettmw

The one issue I would note is a little bit of steering wobble over hard bumps at highway speeds, because the maximum caster angle my alignment shop could achieve after the lift was 2.2 degrees.

In general the van has been great, but I've had a couple engine issues, and I was hoping someone on here would have insight. I know there are a million forums out there to get support for basic repair issues, but most of the 5.3L threads are from people with pickups or SUVs, and there is very little out there for van owners. I have an overheating issue and I'm wondering if its specific to the van configuration, and I'm hoping its not what I think it is (a cracked head or bad head gasket). The engine temp creeps up in two situations: idling along in bumper-to-bumper traffic, or maintaining highway speeds up steep grades; so basically low air-flow or extended time at high load. In both cases, it will creep up toward ~235F. The first time it happened I wasn't paying attention to the gauge, and near the top of a long hill (5 miles of 6% grade, maintaining 60mph, roughly 80F exterior temp) the warning bell/light went on and when I looked down it was somewhere around 250F. Now that I am aware of the issue, I am able to take things easier and keep the max temp closer to that 235F. Once the road levels off, the temperature quickly drops back down. When it gets hot while idling, once the van starts moving steadily at all, same thing; temperature drops and stabilizes. Most of the time the temperature is stable at one notch below 210 (so 195ish). I just drove the van from Portland to Victoria BC and back with no issues; 70mph up I5 for hours and the temperature was rock solid. However, sitting in construction traffic for 30min in Victoria and the temp hit 235F. The second issue, which I

You could probably get a little more caster by compromising some on the camber. Max out the front adjuster then move the rear adjuster in to see how much caster you can get while maintaining reasonable camber. There is an adjustable ball joint available if that doesn't get you where you want to be. Also make sure all the front end parts are good, especially upper control arm bushings. Worn bushings won't allow the control arm to be accurately positioned.

On the overheating, may be low coolant flow possibly clogged radiator or failing fan clutch. I probably would replace them anyway along with water pump and thermostat. Leaking water pump gaskets are very common anyway.

Would need more data to diagnose the misfire.

sackettmw

Weighed my van today at the scrap yard. It is a 2006 GMC Savana (Chevrolet Express) 3500 long wheel base, 6.0L gas, Quigley 4x4, Cargo van. I just started the interior build so I wanted to get a close to empty weight while I still could. So far it has Monstaliner on the whole floor, and 1/2" plywood subfloor, 4 strips of L-track, and a Maxxair fan. Otherwise just 2 front seats and I had about 1 notch of gas on the gauge (not much).

Weight was : 6280 lbs

Hopefully this is useful to someone. I wanted to get a weight now because people seem to post their fully built and loaded weight and I'm always curious how much they added.

jmvar

I appologize if this has been answered, I tried searching but couldn't find the answer to my question: Has the express/savana ever been offered in AWD, passenger van, long wheel base combo?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater