GM fullsize AWD Van Info thread

Willsfree

Are you glad you used the Maxxcam keys now that you've got them installed? Did you install the new control arms too? I checked the Moog offerings for the Chevy. Looks like the make a few different models. Could you post the number used in your lift? Did the Moog come with limiting straps? Did you add new bump stops? l hope to be ordering parts this week, found a shop to do the install. Too buried at work to DIY at home.

North

Observer
HALP!

Having some issues with my doors lately.

First is the slider. blah blah blah...

Next is the DS rear cargo door. This door is stiff to open, and I noticed today that the body gap isn't even, as it is on the PS rear cargo door.

Coming back to to update for anybody else with door issues. Big win on the rear doors. I blasted the rear pivots with WD40 and they came back to life. Lots of gunk/came out of the DS door lower pivot. 5-6 rounds of high pressure blast and working the door back and forth freed it up nicely. The DS door was so stiff it took two hands to open - like new now.

TheEL

Observer
Anyone else having issues with their upper and lower ball joints wearing quicker b/c of their torsion key lift? I have a 2007 express and had mine replaced in 2019 and they are already worn out. Im wondering if this has to do with added pressure from the 3" lift I have on the van. Torsion keys in the front and blocks in the rear. There is a bit of milage on some rugged roads I do every year but this seems like its wearing quicker than it should.

Fc3434

Ok anybody know of a skid plate that covers the transmission/transfer case area?

Since my cat got stolen I’d like to protect that area with a plate, and also add protection for the transmission/transfer case since that’s a pretty weak area.

Fc3434

Thanks, I’m only seeing the front skid plate for the front of the engine, not the middle transmission one. I feel like I used to see it on their website.

Willsfree

I sent them an email to see if they still offer the larger belly pan. It was there last year. Maybe a production issue. I got a quote for one locally and it was sky high pricing...the Boulder was a deal. Wish I had ordered at the time.

Fc3434

Thanks I thought it was them that offered multiple. Felt like I was going crazy when I couldn’t find it on their website

Willsfree

Boulder has very quick and thorough customer service. Looks like the have three options. I'll have to crawl under the rig to see whether the belly pan would protect a CAT. In my neighborhood it might become a home for a cat ?

1621562062429.png

Pabloaguas

Are you glad you used the Maxxcam keys now that you've got them installed? Did you install the new control arms too? I checked the Moog offerings for the Chevy. Looks like the make a few different models. Could you post the number used in your lift? Did the Moog come with limiting straps? Did you add new bump stops? l hope to be ordering parts this week, found a shop to do the install. Too buried at work to DIY at home.

I can't see any reason for the MAxxCam for my application. They only go up 2.5" and I shoulda just got the 3" key and saved money. Maybe someone here can chime in on this...
With the burban springs pushing 4" I need all I can get up front...

Pabloaguas

Also want to chime in with a steering question:

Are there currently any upgrade options for tie rods? I see many burly ones offered for Chevy trucks but it seems they don’t fit the van? Maybe I should just go for Moog OEM style ones with Moog sleeves?

Just an update on this- we went with using the factory inners and upgrading the outers to Moog. Factory inners were sleeved with Rough Country '99 - '06 Silverado Sleves

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.26.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 2.26.54 PM.png
    925.2 KB · Views: 35

Pabloaguas

Anyone have any issues with the Skyjacker H7003 front shocks? I just installed and they don't seem to have enough dampening- the front of the van boats up and down on big bumps on the freeway... I'm thinking to return them and get some custom foxes... the Bilstein front shocks don't seem to have alot of travel....

stevets

Anyone care to try and explain/speculate?

Earlier this week I was near St. George UT running up the long climb heading north. It was hot out side, I had the AC and had been driving for a maybe an hour. I don't usually run my AC.
I look in the side view mirror and I'm blowing smoke - like pull over immediately smoke! Quickly determined that trans fluid was leaking onto the exhaust. It was just barely dripping by the time I made the shoulder and lost maybe a half a cup of fluid onto the ground.
The fluid level was spot on, nice and pink, so I drove on to the next town, cleaned everything up at the car wash, checked the fluid again and pressed on.
Several hundred miles later - same thing minus the AC being on and much less smoke. Pull over and it's barely wet - mostly near the cooler lines and the fluid level is still unchanged. The wet areas are all rear of the cooler lines....nothing on the bell housing indicating torque converter issues - but the source is hard to determine as there's a bit of fluid everywhere from the lines back/up.
Looked away and drove another 900 miles home without incident.

What the heck?
Are the trans cooler lines the likely source of the leak?
Is there some kind of vent that's allowing burps of fluid and, if so, why?

Despite this I STILL love this van!

Scotty D

I have had the power steering burp from overheating on brutal roads where I am driving like a jack ass but Ive not had the problem you describe.
Maybe add some dye in case it happens again ?

sackettmw

What the heck?
Are the trans cooler lines the likely source of the leak?
Is there some kind of vent that's allowing burps of fluid and, if so, why?

Despite this I STILL love this van!

It is most likely fluid coming out of the vent tube. This could be caused by several things. Most likely things are overfilled fluid or clogged cooler. Fluid probably got a little hot on the climb and vented out. It doesn't take much hitting the exhaust to make a lot of smoke. Also, check transfer case fluid level since the vent tubes are teed together. Fluid can leak from the trans to the transfer case causing transfer case to be overfilled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz