GM IFS 4x4 conversion

brooksto

It is very disappointing that there is no diy kit available for the chevy express, nor have i found someone that has successfully completed a diy conversion. I have a 2013 express i am stuck with that i would love to have 4 wheel drive.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
It is very disappointing that there is no diy kit available for the chevy express, nor have i found someone that has successfully completed a diy conversion. I have a 2013 express i am stuck with that i would love to have 4 wheel drive.

It's not surprising to me at all.
There are not that many people willing to convert a van in the first place. Add to that Ujoint makes it so easy to convert a E series I just don't see enough demand to justify someone developing a DIY kit for the GM vans.
Johnny5?? Did document a solid axle build of a Chev van here and it looked pretty good when he was done.

Lunchbox2

Explorer

Superduty axles with coil springs and the factory radius arms would work pretty well under an express van. Johnny5 did it and it came out pretty good.

Wheeliee

Well I laid under the van and see that the lower crossmember is a bolt in thing so that usually means that the crossmember could be changed if that's even necessary I don't know yet. I'm doing the research to find this info out. I'm thinking I may actually attempt this venture myself. I agree that reverse engineering a current 4x4 is the way to go by getting each part number etc. off that rig and what needs modified Etc. I would just think from a manufacturing standpoint that it would make sense for GM to allow the options like 4x4 to be somewhat bolt or easily converted to allow a more streamlined production line. I doubt they use a whole different frame and such to retain all the 4x4 goodies and I think with a little digging we can begin to make a list of parts and If I end up doing the upgrade I will do a full write up. I'm assuming these are the things that the folks who offer these types of upgrades did to make their kits so I see no reason I cant do it. 😎

skier222

Hey guys, boulder offroad offers a DIY kit for 1995 and previous GM vans. In addition they do conversions on late model express/savana similar to what Clydesdale is doing. Downside is none of it is cheap. http://www.boulderoffroadvans.com/

Also for the member with the 2wd in Texas, Boulder offers a lift kit for your van without converting it to 4wd. Again not cheap, but something to give you hope. I know the struggle, I wish Quigley was still doing the straight axle conversion vs. IFS.

simple

Adventurer
The link to the thread on dieselplace has some good info. There used to be a graphic at the beginning that showed Quigley's fabricated parts in one color and OEM GM parts in another.

86cj

Explorer
The link to the thread on dieselplace has some good info. There used to be a graphic at the beginning that showed Quigley's fabricated parts in one color and OEM GM parts in another.

I remember that photo and very few parts are custom, it helped me feel better about owning such a rare Van and look into one of their conversions. The AWD 1/2 ton caught my eye after a test drive though, a lifted GM 3500 Quigley is still on my bucket list.

If I remember right U-joint chimed in on a Quigley GM IFS discussion and said the price is reasonable for all they do and the new parts they use, the factory drop ship option code and warranty are a deal maker for some. I have talked to several employees who have been issued the GM Quigley vans and use the 4x4 often for work duties, they report no issues with the 4x4 over the vans life. It is well tested and sound design even if you make it yourself...........................

simple

Adventurer
I remember that photo and very few parts are custom, it helped me feel better about owning such a rare Van and look into one of their conversions. The AWD 1/2 ton caught my eye after a test drive though, a lifted GM 3500 Quigley is still on my bucket list.

If I remember right U-joint chimed in on a Quigley GM IFS discussion and said the price is reasonable for all they do and the new parts they use, the factory drop ship option code and warranty are a deal maker for some. I have talked to several employees who have been issued the GM Quigley vans and use the 4x4 often for work duties, they report no issues with the 4x4 over the vans life. It is well tested and sound design even if you make it yourself...........................

I tried to click on the attachment link still on the page referencing the photo and a page popped up saying I had to register. Tried to register but couldn't get it to work for some reason. That site is the worst web board I've ever seen as far as lame advertising content. My data connection cant even keep up and causes the page to jump around. LOL Yuk!

Renegade681

Old thread but I'm looking at a 2014 3500 express. Been looking around but haven't found nothing for 4x4 options. I don't want ifs I'd rather put a Dana 60 4 link or 3 link in is it possible?

Van_Diesel

If you are thinking DIY than the 05+ superduty axle is the way to go. check out johny5s-stealth camper van build.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/johny5s-stealth-camper-van.146009/
I did the same swap , my build is on Diesel Place forum in the van section. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link to it, I will try.
https://www.dieselplace.com/forum/7...86-2006-3500-express-sas-05-ford-sd-axle.html
On Diesel Place LCAC_man is doing a conversion with a dodge front axle, truck Duramax and an Allison.
If you want to have someone else do it, you are very limited. Advance 4X4 systems and Clydesdale 4x4 are the first two that I can think of.

Mike

Len.Barron

Observer
The 05 and up SD Dana 60 is the best supported for this (DIY) swap, but, it's a lot of fab work, you will either have to be willing and able to do it, or, willing to write a good size check to have it done. I had very specific desires for my build that drove me to using the late mode Dodge AAM 9.25...that isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Renegade681

Nope, I'll be doing the work myself and teaching the kids a thing or too also. Gotta keep these kids out of trouble and build what you really want since the big 3 won't do it for us lol. Thank you for the links and info I really appreciate it.

whith

Boulder Offroad does a solid axle front end conversion that I believe is Dana 60 based. They may sell parts and kits as well but I'm not sure. I do know they've been doing them for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner