GMC Savana AWD De-Conversion (Dodge Ram replacement)

Front diff leak at output shaft seal; bearings bad

While installing the front torsion keys & new shocks I discovered a weep at the driver's side front diff output seal... turns out the bearing(s) are shot & play in the output shaft is wallowing the seal - yikes - supposedly a known/common problem with the 2003-2005 bearings. $2,500 shop estimate, labor + $1,800 replacement re-built diff. So, I pulled it & had local shop crack it open - all was well except bearings & seals: $500 & ready to install, better than new:

Not a bad job with a floor jack & stands - about 60lbs. I replaced both front tie-rods while I had it apart...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
could you take some more pics and post a bit more detail on the window fan...
here in the inferno of Phoenix I think that would be a killer thing to have for sleep time
thanks

Vanair Roof Vent in rear window

I selected this 6" diameter roof vent & mounted it in the rear window:

http://ventline.com/i/u/6148923/f/RV_Lit/Vanair_Vent_11-11.pdf

I ordered a 24x48 piece of 1/4" UV tinted plastic from www.e-plastics.com - rated for windows. (I think the Savana window is 22"x28" or something)

Removed the glass window & traced the outline onto the plastic (I added 1/8" all around to account for non-curve) including the 3 mounting holes - also, trace the vent fan location. Cut with drill, jig saw, and file/sand all edges smooth/round. I attempted to heat the plastic with a heat gun while clamping to factory glass - to try and put curves into plastic... this did not work, made it wavy, I guess you would need an oven to heat evenly & hold temp for a length of time... I did this with the left-over plastic as a test.

Next, I took the cut plastic to my window tint guy & had him add tint so result matched other privacy tint windows. Plastic installed in place of glass and fan mounted & wired thru door loom to dome light circuit which is wired to my house battery (I couldn't find power at the rear door lock... must be on relay?). Lastly, because of unsuccessful attempts to heat & form plastic, I drilled & screwed corners of plastic window to form/hold tight against rubber window seal. Window does not open, but does not leak either, & I run it thru the automatic car wash.

The vent pushes open using the white handle & the red button turns it on... with front windows cracked, it pulls air thru nicely. On a 95 degree sunny day parked in an open field it keeps the van at 95 degrees inside vs. 120+ without it... I also made a flap in this window curtain so it can be used with all curtains closed to block sun & keep privacy.

Vent pushed out in open position

jdharrin

Observer
looking good, any updates to your impressions of the suspension upgrades? About to bite the bullet on mine, any reason I should not go with the suburban springs?

No reason whatsoever to not go with the suburban springs & shocks. So much 'softer' on washboard, pavement chops, etc... And, ability to tow or load some weight is now there. I think the 1500 springs were just hitting the bump stops the entire time. No brake line issues. No drivetrain issues. About 3,500 miles since I made the change. I would select the 3/4 ton van shocks instead of the 1/2 ton shocks I went with... slight side sway at highway speeds in canyons - I will be having mine re-valved this fall.

agelessGIANT

Observer
Did you have to switch out to larger U bolts with the new spring packs? Looking to do this as well very soon and started collecting the parts... Thanks for the write up!

^^^ yes, you must change the U bolts - the spring pack is almost 1-1/2" thicker. I had a local spring builder bend some U bolts to length... I'm not sure that the 3/4 ton van/suburban U bolts fit.

Kilroy

Adventurer
I've tried the fan setup your using (2004 Express Conversion van, used 3/16" Lexan) but I"m disappointed at how well it is working. You can really feel the hot air coming from the fan, and van is cooler, but not as cool as outside. After rereading your post on this modification, I believe yours is working out for you because of all the insulation you have added. Forget who, but they added a Fantastic fan in the same place. The extra airflow would make the difference for me, as would the insulation. Thinking it will be a lot easier to add fan.

Take my dachshunds on trips most of the time.. mtn biking, hiking, etch.. so, needed a vent fan to keep the van cool for 2-3 hour intervals while on the trail. I chose the 6" diameter vanair vent fan & decided to 'test' it indefinitely in the rear window before committing to cutting the roof - plus removing the conversion headliner and lights looked like a hassle. I ordered a 24x48 piece of 1/4" UV tinted plastic from e-plastics.com - rated for windows. Fan mounted in the window looks factory and really cools the van down with front windows cracked. I also removed all door/wall/ceiling panels and installed r15 fiberglass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven