GMT800 Suburban - Rear Side Window Mount Locations

FourOff

Hey gang,
I'm looking to add some brackets to the inside of my rear windows to hold some gear and a small molle panel to get stuff off the floor and out of the way.
I saw this image and thought the coat hooks must be bolted on, but they're not. It's just a (really pain in the butt) plastic clip to an odd-shaped hole. The idea is to make a bracket from the coat hook points to a piece of strut channel that would connect to another bracket at the bottom of the window. Anybody mounted something like this and how did you do it? My guess is a bolt with a captive tab that just fits into the square hole and clamped down by the outside bolt (which is why you see the threads sticking out below), but wanted to see if somebody figured this out already before I re-engineer something.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 4.57.42 PM.png

The setup above (from Orangeboxx - https://www.orangeboxxfabrication.com/online-store/Chevy-Suburban-Gen-9-2000-2006-p166145451) looks like it just screws into the plastic below the window, which I'm not thrilled about. I was looking to mount some heavier items with some quick fists (fire extinguisher, axe, etc) and don't want them flying into my head. Thinking I'm going to put some threaded spacers behind the plastic to the body metal and attach to those, but again, looking to see if somebody has already solved this before I start another McMaster order...

Thanks- Marc

FourOff

Not sure why I assumed that front/top mounting point was a second coat hook... but it's not. Looks like the Orangeboxx setup goes through the headliner into who-knows-what.
Well crud... Was hoping not to poke holes in the headliner if I wanted to take this out some time.

SubSar

When I built and installed my panels I dropped the headliner and bolted my mounting brackets right to the steel body frame around the roof. Put the headliner back in and then mount the panels. My panels are tucked back I closer to the glass than OrangeBox’s.

FourOff

When I built and installed my panels I dropped the headliner and bolted my mounting brackets right to the steel body frame around the roof. Put the headliner back in and then mount the panels. My panels are tucked back I closer to the glass than OrangeBox’s.

Those look great! That's exactly what I was looking to do originally. I started to design my own pannels (just got the basic pattern and overall size) and got some quotes (Send-Cut-Send and a few others), only to find it was going to cost me ~$1000. Might as well buy the Orangeboxx ones then.

I picked up a generic, smaller panel to play with, but I think it's not going to be as helpful as a big one. Would you be willing to share your DXF? Happy to pay a bit for it. I'm going to start checking a few places locally to see if they can do it cheaper. Do you know how thick yours are?

How did you attach to body? Dropping the headliner is my next step to get a better idea of my options.
I'm looking at a combination of clip-on nuts, rivnuts (not my favorite option), and bolts/washers to try and attach as firmly as possible while dealing with limited access to the back of the body panel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner