Gobi Rack for LJ

KillerSloth

Hello everyone. I've lurked on this forum for a bit, and I have visited a lot because of all of the times it comes up in overland/expedition themed searches.

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) that I've had for 6 years now. I've done some mods (lift, winch, bumpers, etc) but I have kind of leaned toward wanting to build it more for the crawling side of offroading.

Well, a new addition to the family, and just a change in interest has made me start leaning toward the 'expedition' side. We typically go camping a lot during the summer and we were fairly limited on space with the rear seat taken out completely. With the new baby, I am going to have to add the seat back in and I'll be losing a ton of storage room. I want to build some drawers for the trunk and add in tie down points or a little rack on top of it.

I think I am going to need to buy a rack though to carry a bulk of the gear, especially the bulky light stuff (sleeping bags, tent, etc), and I would like to use it for hauling my kayak and inflatable fishing pontoon. I have it pretty much limited down to the Gobi rack, since I have heard great things, and I don't think the Garvin rack will work with my tire carrier. I was planning on getting the Stealth model, but wanted to get everyone's thoughts on it vs. the Ranger model. Also, I would like to add a 50" (or 40") LED across the front of the rack, but I'm not sure how that would work with the vertical support bars. I know Gobi sells a different front section for the JK if you are planning on running an LED bar, but I don't see one for the TJ/LJ. What light setups are people running with their Gobi racks?

Thanks

Here are some photos of my Jeep as it currently sits:
10486217_10202306747612555_3907133284071962565_n.jpg

12359934_10205377465978595_5085276368996434625_n.jpg

KillerSloth

Thanks guys. It has served me well so far.

Love the Impact Orange. It's actually the reason I bought my Jeep. I was looking at a standard TJ for about half the price originally and my friend mentioned seeing an orange Jeep for sale down the road. Wish I had the Rubicon for the lockers and 4:1 TC, but with the 6 speed, I still have a pretty low first gear.

KillerSloth

Personally, the wilderness rack works for me!
View attachment 349602

Yeah, unfortunately, the rear portion of the rack comes down the back (I actually prefer it that way), which is where the top of my tire carrier attaches. The Gobi attaches to the frame rail on the side of the Jeep, so it won't interfere with my carrier (or at least I don't think it will).

brownmule

Observer
Yeah, unfortunately, the rear portion of the rack comes down the back (I actually prefer it that way), which is where the top of my tire carrier attaches. The Gobi attaches to the frame rail on the side of the Jeep, so it won't interfere with my carrier (or at least I don't think it will).

I see, I have no experience with the gobi, but the wilderness does go towards the back. Good luck.

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
IMG_20160420_082615.jpg
You will have no issues mounting your kayak to a Gobi, even the Ranger design and its larger hooped lightbar. I like the Ranger design better personally due to my preference of round lights over square lightbars. I don't have any lights bought to be mounted on the rack yet, but the plan is to eventually have four ARB Intensities (two spot and two flood) mounted up top. Managed to pay the $1600 price tag but got the sunroof insert and quick release free too (not including the free rear ladder already included).

Bonus points for being another Impact Orange Rubicon?:elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online