Good A/T for snow?

cdnabn49

Observer
well I finally switched over from 33" BFG MT's (old school) to 265/75R16 Cooper ST Maxx's on my 04 Rubi and am in definite love... I am a real fan of the BFG's and after 3 summer's and 2 winters they were to long in the tooth to make it a 3rd... I am now also doing double the commute to and from work - old man winter is on it's way and I wanna be prepped before it happens... so I looked and read - youtube'd etc... I finally decided on the Cooper ST Maxx which seemed to fit the bill for my now driving style - blacktop and gravel - the muck is gone for a bit... gotta say the ride is smooth and quieter - a little hum at highway speeds but other then that all is good. I guess it really boils down to you preference, needs and likes... they're a good looking skin as well...

*Image: Copyright 2012 RoadTraveler.net/J. Langan*

Cooper ST Maxx - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Another BFG AT fan here. They are great in the snow, last forever (except under a heavy diesel fullsize), and will get you through almost "all terrains".

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Nokian WR's. Duratracs don't come anywhere near close in cold weather, very good tires, just not in snow. Compound stays too hard <25f.

Also, while i have not run them yet, Nokian has a new all season AT tire (Rotiiva) which has its renown compound and sipping. Fins are like Canadians with off road and winter toys, all their products are top-notch.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=11955&group=2.01&name=Nokian WRG2 SUV

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=132374&group=2.01&name=Nokian+Rotiiva+AT

Last edited:

Gregster

Observer
These look like a decent tire in a 235/85R16:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Wrangler-Authority-Tire-LT235-85R16/11983158
Sorry for the big picture

464978_Enlarged_1.jpeg

J

JWP58

Hmmmmm may have to swing by wally world and have a look at those goodyears...

Then i'd have to decide on 245/75's or 235/85's....

elee

Observer
Cooper S/T or S/T Maxx. I have the S/t's and they are amazing in snow! And great on all other terrains!

SoCal_80

Explorer
Been running BFG AT's in lots of snow and ice and have been very happy. May be it is the tires or maybe it is my Land Cruiser??!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JWP58

Went looking today and found a local place selling 235/85/16 BFG AT's (E 10ply) for 166 a tire. I think I found my tires

I dont really want to lift my tacoma, and these should give me the most ground clearance without rubbing issues (i hope).

RangeBrover

Explorer
My experience with the wranglers is pretty typical with most Range Rover owners from what I understand. My 08 came with a brand new set of Goodyear Wranglers and they were cupped so bad by 18k miles that I trashed them and replaced them. I had them regularly rotated every oil change, but they still crapped out, definitely never buying another Goodyear.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Have 315/75R16 GY Duratracs, had them in deep snow at 8psi with no issues. On compact snow and ice they have been great, drove lots of high mountain passes last winter well below -20c and never had an issue.

I have BFG AT's and will not own a BFG AT again, in the conditions I used them in they where marginal at all them.

lbarcher

Adventurer
I found the BFG at were ok until it got cold. Below -15c they were curling stones on ice.
I only used the AT one winter and then switched to Yokohama IG for winter.

dallas

I found the BFG at were ok until it got cold. Below -15c they were curling stones on ice.
I only used the AT one winter and then switched to Yokohama IG for winter.[/QUOTe
I agree the BFG at is good on snow but terrible on icy roads or packed snow regardless of the snowflake approval. My Bridgestone Revo At was better without a snowflake approval, they probably have the right compound just did not want to pay for the approval.

I then purchased a winter specific General ALtimax Arctic 265 75R/16 this tire had super ratings on The Tire Rack, I had them studded and they worked well. They did run out of steam on a steep 10 km hill climb on pavement in a foot of fresh snow with ice below.

cdnabn49

Observer
Cooper S/T or S/T Maxx. I have the S/t's and they are amazing in snow! And great on all other terrains!
+1
well I am finally running in snow and ice - they track extremely well, are sure footed and deliver in the snow, pretty decent on ice - although not a dedicated ice snow tire - so over I am really digging this tire I am extremely pleased with them, well done Cooper Tires!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk