Good Expedition Trailer for a CJ5?

jazk

Thanks for the feedback guys, and for the awesome pics! Nice to know there's a fair amount of CJ owners on this forum. Nice looking rigs, ocblaze, Mark Harley,
grnhornetcustoms, and compactcamping!! :bowdown:

Obviously converting a M416 would be the best option, but currently i don't have the time or room for a DIY project right now. Also, finding a M416 or Bantam in good shape is getting harder and harder.

I'm currently working in Iraq, so my plan would be at the end of my contract, spend a couple weeks back home, then take off on a cross country trip. Therefore i'm really looking for something that would show up on my doorstep, and be ready to hit the road.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.JPG
    IMG_0044.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

jazk

:sombrero: Getta TENTRAX--600lbs unloaded and 1200lbs fully loaded-

You can get it with different "LIFT" options--mine is 14" ground clearance and will follow my JKUR ANYWHERE-

I don't see any problem pulling it with a CJ5/TJ/YJ--the owner of TENTRAX takes his TENTRAX over the RUBICON every year(Well did several years ago)-with his TJ-

Super trailer, Mine is over 8 years old and/w mods carries my TEPUI RTT and chain saw/camping equip./chairs/solar panel/table/airtent--variable camping gear=

Can't beatem-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Thanks for the feedback JIMBO! I just checked out the site, and i like how the tent is integrated into the trailer, and the price is the best i've seen yet. How long did you have to wait for yours?

Last edited:

bwestfla

:sombrero: Getta TENTRAX--600lbs unloaded and 1200lbs fully loaded-

You can get it with different "LIFT" options--mine is 14" ground clearance and will follow my JKUR ANYWHERE-

I don't see any problem pulling it with a CJ5/TJ/YJ--the owner of TENTRAX takes his TENTRAX over the RUBICON every year(Well did several years ago)-with his TJ-

Super trailer, Mine is over 8 years old and/w mods carries my TEPUI RTT and chain saw/camping equip./chairs/solar panel/table/airtent--variable camping gear=
maiden%20tepui%20tent%20use%20037_zpsfhubmd7o.jpg

Can't beatem-

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

Brian

I'm currently working in Iraq, so my plan would be at the end of my contract, spend a couple weeks back home, then take off on a cross country trip. Therefore i'm really looking for something that would show up on my doorstep, and be ready to hit the road.

I just finished a 2850-mile trip towing a Turtleback with my 1994 Land Cruiser (80 series, also an inline 6 rated at about 212 hp/275 lb-ft). I was all over the Adirondacks, Green Mountains, White Mountains, to Canada and back. It towed like a dream. Obviously, long climbs have to be taken in the truck lane but it is totally manageable. Having the full kitchen setup, ample storage, and a rooftop tent are definitely nice features.

Good luck with your decision!

7 Fall Gathering camp.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Explorer

Supporting Sponsor
Our Explorer MPT is a powder coated all aluminum tub on a laser cut steel frame. Comes standard with 2000# Timbren axle-less axles and weighs only 900 lbs with the RTT.

14495388_1753312478256816_4369699311880840788_n-L.jpg

14441145_1753312471590150_569272747212131158_n-L.jpg

IMG_3170-L.jpg

IMG_20161004_1543536-L.jpg

rnArmy

Adventurer
Another option is to take a Harbor Freight trailer frame (either their 4' trailer, or trim down one of their 4' x 8' trailers) and mount an aluminum diamond plate box to the frame. That's the simple version, but that's really about it. If you modify the 4' x 8' trailer, you can go the same size as the 416 trailer (40" x 72") or shorter. We recently came back from a 10,000 mile trip (Tx to Inuvik NW Territories in Canada, Seattle, and back to TX) with a 98 Jeep ZJ towing a modified HF 4' trailer with such a diamond plate tub. I've also taken this trailer thousands of miles behind a four-cylinder Jeep TJ.
But if you're looking for something ready to roll once you're back in the states, I don't think you can go wrong with a tentrax. I always thought they were pretty cool. And it would probably be perfect behind your CJ5.

Attachments

• Yukon Keith and Jeep.1.jpg
    Yukon Keith and Jeep.1.jpg
    544.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Jeep and trailer from PA trip.jpg
    Jeep and trailer from PA trip.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1