Got my first big mod sitting in my living room

bpenn1980

I should be riding a few inches higher in a couple weeks!

Picked up an OME 850/863 lift kit including the caster bushings and steering stabilizer. Now I just need to remodel my carport to accommodate the future, taller cruiser :)

...then worry about getting some 33"'s under it! ...then....then...then haha

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
You should be happy with that lift. I have the same lift and at the time of install, no extra weight. I had some vibration ~55mph but it went away once I put the sliders and ARB on. Too bad you don't live closer, I'd install the bushings for you. I have a jig and press.

Now that I'm mounting an 8274, I ordered the Slee 25mm spring spacers to get it a little more even. I don't mind the slightly high rearend with no extra weight, it levels out nicely when loaded.

No lift and 31s:
72fc6f94.jpg

MoGasMod026.jpg

Rover008.jpg

Lifted, no extra weight, 31s
Canyon3-28-07.jpg

SmileyRockTrailSedonaBrokenArrowTra.jpg

Loaded for a holiday week 31s
d952725a.jpg

cb3a5be4.jpg

33s
STA73969.jpg

Dave

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I have the same set up on my 80. I sit *** high for most of my driving but when loaded for a trip it is perfectly level. Here's a side shot unloaded on 33's.

attachment.php

bpenn1980

Ok, lift still isnt installed, but I got some bfg at 285's underneath now! Even with just new slightly taller tires I'm really REALLY digging it :)

Cant wait to get the lift installed, though the stink bug will bother me, I'm sure of it :( Maybe I'll throw a spacer in there.

Thanks for all the pics, makes me even MORE eager to do my own little before/after comparison haha

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
If you think the Stinkbug will bother you, Call Slee and order the 25mm spacers. Polyurethane and not cut.
25mm_spacers_300.jpg
Don't bother with the cheapo Mr. Gasket rubber ones, they are garbage.

Make 100% your u-joints are good or without any extra weight, you will probably get some vibrations. Absolutely put in the caster bushings!! If you are not planning a bumper or winch, I'd suggest the Slee cc bushings as they have another degree of caster more than the OME ones.
3degree_250.jpg

If you want to make a trip to Flag, I'll help you out. I've done several of these lifts on 80s and have the press and jig for the bushings.
It shouldn't take more than 3 hours to do.

Dave

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
If you are not planning a bumper or winch, I'd suggest the Slee cc bushings as they have another degree of caster more than the OME ones.
[/QUOTE]

Can you clarify this? I bought my rig with J springs, I have an ARB winch bumper. How will these help with the winch/bumper combo?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
Can you clarify this? I bought my rig with J springs, I have an ARB winch bumper. How will these help with the winch/bumper combo?

I'm asking, not to be a jerk, I just want to know your level. Do you know anything about alignment? I can explain if you don't and will help you out.

With no added weight, the OME 850/863 combo will end up giving you ~3.5 inches of lift and that height puts you out of the range of caster correction provided by the OME bushings. The Slee ones get you 3* instead of 2*. Now with J springs, that is the next level. I believe that with added weight, you can get away with the Slee 3* bushings, but most have moved on to caster plates, or different control arms to achieve the desired alignment cross caster. A lot of the J springers have also gone to a double cardian front shaft to help with driveline angle problems. Also, with Js you can get pinion interference on the sway bar, you should run the "L" shocks and lower your bump stops.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
upcruiser said:
I have the same set up on my [FJ]
80. I sit *** high for most of my driving but when loaded for a trip it is perfectly level.

There are ever-so-slight differences between FJ80 and FZJ80 frames that make the FJ80 sit higher for any given spring (lucky you!).

Just FYI.

dirtballer

i have a 2004 tacoma double cab trd v6 and just got an arb bumper. Don't even have the winch yet but my front end is sagging. I was thinking about installing icon CO's upfront to support the weight of the bumper and bilstein 5100's or OME springs and shocks in the rear in a month or two but after looking at my rig front end sag i'm concerned that the added weight is going to kill me at the pump and maybe stress the longevity of my ride so might just do the suspension. Any thoughts on this?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Latest pic with the 25mm spacers in front and no cargo load. The winch isn't on yet either.
101_1834.jpg

Dave

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Looks good. Did you use spacers up front?

Did you install the CC bushings?

Dave

bpenn1980

MoGas said:
Looks good. Did you use spacers up front?

Did you install the CC bushings?

Dave

Didnt put in any spacers, yet. May go with some up front once I get the ARB on there. CC bushings arent in yet either. I want to get those in though because I feel the steering is a little sensitive on the freeway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy