Government to Auction More than 4,000 HMMWV’S

rayra

Expedition Leader
http://controversialtimes.com/news/good-god-yes-government-to-auction-more-than-4000-hmmwvs/

According to the Army Times,

“We definitely see lots of interest, and we’re certainly excited to have the opportunity to sell these,” said Randy Berry, IronPlanet’s senior vice president for operations and services. “These items have been scrapped up to now … so it’s a win for the taxpayers and everybody involved here.”
Sitting on a dusty lot at Hill Air Force Base in Utah are 25 Humvees built between 1987 and the mid-1990s, some with visible wear and patchy camouflage paint jobs, and whose odometer readings range from 1,361 to 38,334. The public will have the chance to bid on them in a live online action on Dec. 17 and take home a Humvee that once served as a troop or cargo carrier.
DLA will have some 4,000 Humvees considered surplus inspected for defects — and so long as they’re not taken or have military characteristics, like armor — they will be offered to IronPlanet. Before the restrictions had been lifted, they might have been scrapped.

One potential downside is that AM General, the manufacturer since the Army adopted the Humvee in 1985, has made no secret that it opposes the sale of military Humvees to the public.

The company’s website says it sells parts and / or service information only to military customers and not for Humvees that “wind up in civilian hands.” The company states that it “opposes any use of these military vehicles by individuals or entities outside of the military context for which the vehicles are designed.”

“You can bid any time prior to the auction itself,” Berry said. “We structure ours like events, with all these items selling today, and then a live format, where instead of the auction just concluding anonymously, you get to watch all the items selling.”

Auction winners have three days to pay, must sign an agreement indemnifying IronPlanet and arrange for transportation within 8 days as the vehicles are intended for off-road use only.

Read more: http://controversialtimes.com/news/...-auction-more-than-4000-hmmwvs/#ixzz3LieJtEWl

chaos616

Adventurer
Funny that on IronPlanets site the 5 ton 6x6 and many of the other larger trucks are listed starting at much less than the HMMWV's. I find that weird considering how much truck you get, but I guess I don't buy much military surplus either.

Either way seems like its neat because it will allow people to get into the market for those vehicles easier than it was before.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Great news. To me this makes it clear that the only reason the military never auctioned HMMWVs before, was because AM General wanted to protect their retail market of $100k+ Hummers. Now that AM General doesnt really exist anymore (thanks to GM), its open season for the government to make some cash selling these things rather than scrapping them.

Kaisen

Explorer
Great news. To me this makes it clear that the only reason the military never auctioned HMMWVs before, was because AM General wanted to protect their retail market of $100k+ Hummers. Now that AM General doesnt really exist anymore (thanks to GM), its open season for the government to make some cash selling these things rather than scrapping them.

AM General doesn't exist? Better tell them...

http://www.amgeneral.com/

rayra

Expedition Leader
More authoritarianism than corporatism in it, all sorts of moves to deny a wide variety of 'surplus' to the taxpayers that paid for it. EPA's now blocking the diesel truck and generator sales on a pollution pretext. In the mid 90s they tried to destroy all the Garands etc in the DCM's hands and Congress forced a deal that split them off as a private entity (the CMP) and transferred the firearms out of govt hands. But the tradeoff was almost all the M-16s going in the chopper.

I see that IronPlanet's imposing a minimum $10k bid, which is ludicrous given what the trucks went for. Good luck finding one that isn't clapped out, most of them got used pretty hard.

The one I used to abuse in American deserts

clampett.jpg
dezbuggy.jpg

But they'll sell just fine to the folks that have that kind of cash to throw at a project chassis. Nice part is the bodies are aluminum and fiberglass, so rust is a minor issue.

Am General certainly still exists, it's the Hummer brand that no longer exists. These are sold for off road use only. Not sure about legality but reading that to mean no way no how are you going to be able to title them. These first ones may bring 10k but if they intend to sell thousands, I'd wager the price will plummet.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
In the mid 90s they tried to destroy all the Garands. But the tradeoff was almost all the M-16s going in the chopper.

I'd take a Garand over a M16 any day. There's plenty of AR variants out there to make 5.56mm fun!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
That was what caught my attention too - These are sold for off road use only.
People are talking about buying these and getting them on the road - http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/4793755290.html
Not sure why you couldn't get the HMMWVS titled? (not that I would)

Am General certainly still exists, it's the Hummer brand that no longer exists. These are sold for off road use only. Not sure about legality but reading that to mean no way no how are you going to be able to title them. These first ones may bring 10k but if they intend to sell thousands, I'd wager the price will plummet.

406expo

Adventurer
I have always enjoyed the HMMWV in the un armored configurations. If they didn't start at such un real bids I would be interested. But starting at 10k is just silly, oh well. I think part of my enjoyment of them is all the time sent driving and in them. They are fairly capable truck as well, but not for me at starting bid of 10k. Nice thing is the older ones run the 6.2 diesel which is dirty cheap to work on and parts are everywhere. The newer ones run that 6.5 which is not as cheap but still pretty common at any parts store. cool rigs and would be a lot of fun for overland where I am, as its not to narrow on the trails.

superbuickguy

Explorer

that and they didn't want to get sued out of existence when some joe-dumb-public wraps his around a pole and sues AM General for a military spec product. Presumptively, the Patriot Act should protect them now from these suits; but since new-GM is getting sued for old-bankrupt-GM issues - I can understand their reluctance.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I'm not sure I would pay money for a hummer. It'd be fine to live with one maybe if it was on a ranch or something and you didn't have to do much screaming 55 max mph driving. It's just so big and only seats four and has the worst visibility and cargo capacity.

Last edited:

Humvette

Adventurer
I really love H1's and they are a great vehicle. Its kinda like anything it needs a lil modding to make it perfect for each individual.

Example F150 does everything on road better than the Hummer H1. However it would take a ton of work to make an F150 as good offroad as a stock H1. Well there are tire / wheel combos and shocks that would make anyone happy with a hummer on road.

I think the prices will plumit too. I want to make a rock buggy out of one and make my current one even more Expo ;P ...

406expo

Adventurer
Yeah there not for everyone. However they are extremely capable in the right hands. If they come in at reasonable prices I'm interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven