GPS solutions for vans

ArcticBus

Observer
I've been looking for a laptop/notebook or something to use as a big GPS , can someone fill me in on what has worked for them ? Im still very green to all this

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have had great luck with my Acer Netbook, run Delorme Topo and OziExplorer (with free USGS maps)
Use Franson GpsGate to split the signal from a Globalsat BT353 (I think that is the number) USB GPS Puck
Never had any issues with the hard drive but some folks swap out to a solid state setup, they are much cheaper now

Wifi is excellent for when you are on the road.
Plenty of space to add trip info while you are planning, movies, music and all that.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
In my van, I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 tablet, mounted on a Ram X-Mount and arm on the doghouse/center console.

The built-in GPS is more than sensitive enough. I have a dual-outlet USB charger to keep the tablet batteries mostly topped up.

I use the Backcountry Navigator App when away from the highway, and Navmii and MapFactor for on-highway navigation with preloaded maps. (Wi-Fi only tablet)

I also usually have my Nexus5 phone in a cradle, so if I need online maps like GoogleMaps or whatever, I can use that, which is also fine. The bigger screen is really most handy for looking at topos, etc. so off-road is when the tablet gets the most use.

Gooseberry

Explorer
My kenwood has a gps in it but I also use a iPad with google maps and use my hot spot for wifi.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
If you're more of a windows fan, using an older Surface tablet with MapsPro and a Bluetooth GPS dongle works pretty well. Don't bother spending extra for the so-called "built in GPS" since its really a cell chip, not a GPS chip for using cell tower triangulation and not actual GPS. You'll save more money with a GPS dongle, either Bluetooth or USB over the cell chip. Just make sure you download the maps you want to use while you still have internet before you go whatever trip you wish to use it on.

Lionsgarage

Scoutfollower
I've been reading these type of posts for some but haven't been able to zero in on a suitable unit for off and on road nav.
I will be traveling whet there is no cell service, so will need to have maps all loaded from base. (Home or some distant Internet cafe).
Plus it will need to new able to be powers off the vehicle. Accept a GPS via usb dongles.
Well I think you get the idea.....I hate to poke this but many threads seem to suggest that any tablet or notebook or iPad will do this but when I was hunting last fall I tried the iPad but after spending hours the night before downloading the maps I thought I need (maximum the iPad would hold) I drove a short distance off the grid (outside of the area I had downloaded) and couldn't tell if I was on legal hunting ground!
So, I need much more memory, plus other features that will enhance the functionality.
Any suggestions that you have actually used with topo, on road nav programs, as well as hunting (onXmaps) maps?
Thank you for taking time to reply.
I think many would benefit from further discussion.
Butch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77