GPS- What are you using?

Richie

Adventurer
I bought a Garmin nuvi 255wt model over the holiday season. My first GPS and must say I'm very happy with it so far.

I only use it in the city when I'm interested in trying a new place to eat. I will be using it frequently once I start camping again.

A friend and I got lost on a forest road by following a map last summer. The map didn't match the road we were on for whatever reason. I'm hoping a GPS will help if that situation comes up again.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I bought a Garmin nuvi 255wt model over the holiday season. My first GPS and must say I'm very happy with it so far.

I only use it in the city when I'm interested in trying a new place to eat. I will be using it frequently once I start camping again.

A friend and I got lost on a forest road by following a map last summer. The map didn't match the road we were on for whatever reason. I'm hoping a GPS will help if that situation comes up again.
I picked on of those up too from Sam's, I love it. It has a surprising amount of forest roads for a city GPS.

Garmin Streetpilot 7500 in Unimog.
Very large screen. It has an SD card port for Garmin's maps of N. america topo, Europe, China, Russia, SE Asia, Australia (I have regular Street Navigator NT and offroad/badroad topo). And a video port for backup camera.
But I especially like the big screen; about 3 times the area of a Nuvi.
They no longer sell them new but you can buy them virtually new/refurbished on Ebay for ~$350.

Charlie

jginutah

Adventurer
I am using Garmin Map60CS handheld plugged into a gateway netbook running Topo USA. I have added a Titan antenna and get down to about 7 feet. I like the idea of having back-up data on my haldheld, for if the netbook were to die or if I were to breakdown and have to hoof it out.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I too have used a lot of Garmin gear - they are THE name in small airplane tech. My hand held 60CSx is an awesome bit of kit, - very sturdy, fast and accurate. I also have a NUVI -which is why I will probably never buy another Garmin product again. They have gotten away from the type of GPS that made them popular and have gone to the popular GPS styles - which is OK - it is just that they are glitchy as all heck. LOTS of downloads, serial numbers, server crashes etc. I am just not into working that hard to spend my money. I am a Mac user and there are several different programs you have to install and run to do the most basic tasks - not to delve too deep - but they require you to have yet ANOTHER 'account' that requires a user name / password key chain. Seriously? For a GPS? They are losing control of the whole 'easy to use' concept in favor a bloated list of products - ever see how many different products they are selling now vs. 18 months ago? Amazing in a disappointing way.

My usual GPS is my Garmin 60Cx. I also have a Holux bluetooth GPS that works with my laptop or via my Palm T5 running Tomtom.

I've got experience with a lot of handheld outdoor GPS units, particularly since I used to teach GPS & landnav.

I also have a bulletproof old millitary vehicle GPS, made by Trimble. I'm looking to get a GlobalMap Baja unit for the Jeep as some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal