grand cherokee for tow vehicle

thanks again for the info, i really only plan on towing a few times a year for the most part. i was thinking somthing around a 12ft should be plenty in length.

so you really think the JKU will handle it, it's a 6sp, if thats the case it would save a ton of money i could put towards the willys

outdoors

Observer
If you need another vehicle that can tow and haul people around with decent MPG's... I'd buy a Cummins 94-97 2500 Ram Club Cab for under 6K. That way you could tow your Jk if needed as well. Besides a pick up is a valuable thing to have as a second vehicle.. I have 210K on mine and mileage with these is about the same as my 04' WJ was. When you figure 15% more for diesel.

But see what the JKU's can tow as they have a 116" wb versus about a 106" wb for the WJ..

Good luck.

K2ZJ

Explorer
I am shocked that no one has said anything about the JKU

That thing is HUGE, it is near the size of an older F150. That thing may not have a ton of power, but it would likely pull a lot better (more stable) than a WJ. It certainly would pull a willies just fine.

The reason I mention it is that it can do it, but not easily, and at what price?

JK:
3.8L V6 with 205 horsepower and 240 lb.-ft. of torque
Tow rating of 2,000lbs or 3,500lbs depending on configuration.
Price for used is nearly 4X that of a WJ locally. I found one as low as $17K.

WJ
4.7L V8 with 235 horsepower and 295 lb.-ft. of torque
Tow rating of 6,500lbs (V8) or 5,000lbs (I6)
Can be found for $4k

For 17K a used F-250-350 diesel would be on my list WAY before a JK.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
Ken, the OP already has a JKU, so he wouldn't need to buy one.

But neither vehicle would make a good tow vehicle IMO. I've been in a ZJ towing close to 7k lbs and it was downright frightening.

K2ZJ

Explorer

But neither vehicle would make a good tow vehicle IMO. I've been in a ZJ towing close to 7k lbs and it was downright frightening.

Whoops! I missed that. Though he was thinking of a JKU or WJ, not the he had the one already.

madZJ

Observer

So you were in a vehicle towing something that exceeded the towable gross weight rating and it was a little scary? Not to mention unsafe and illegal, if something had gone wrong the driver would be liable for all damages. Not a position I find comfortable either.

wjtoy

Having towed with my WJ, I would recommend against it as a general statement. The wheelbase is too short, the steering gets too light with any moderate weight on the rear, the transmission doesn't care for the added weight and the engine likes to get hot if not careful. That being said the WJ is a great vehicle for everything else - I love mine, and I still tow things every once in awhile...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz