Grouper's 07 FJC Build

Grouper

Observer
Cool FJ! Lots of work went into that thing!

Thanks. It has been a lot of trial and error. At this point I can finally say that I like it better now than I ever have before. With some of the previous setups, I couldn't always say that. It's still a compromise but it does everything moderately well and is actually comfortable to drive on the street which has become increasingly more important to me.

Grouper

Observer
Top Of The World Moab

So when we ran TOTW in Moab, I ran out of room on my GoPro SD card about half way up. I wasn't to worried since I had my regular camera with me and I really only wanted shots from the outcropping anyway. It turns out I forgot to put the SD card back in my camera from loading pictures on to my laptop the night before. So I ended up with no pics from this trail but luckily I had a buddy shoot some pics and give them to me today.

thumb_IMG_6640_1024.jpgthumb_IMG_6645_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_6641_1024.jpg

And 1300' down to Fisher Valley.....

totw 1.jpg

Last edited:

Grouper

Observer
At what point in your build did you swap to the 8.2 rear?

I did it a little over a year and a half ago. If memory serves I was running a stage one Icon at the time with my first set of 34" Trail Grapplers. When I swapped the rear end I also added the dual compression 3" rear coils, a set of 2.5" piggybacks, and extended lines.

screwball48

Explorer
Here is an off the wall question; how is the front and rear leg room with two car seats installed. I have 4 year old twins and have always wondered if there was enough room in the back on an FJC for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grouper

Observer
Here is an off the wall question; how is the front and rear leg room with two car seats installed. I have 4 year old twins and have always wondered if there was enough room in the back on an FJC for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's tough. I have twin 5 year old girls and giant Britax car seats. I'm only 5'9" so I can make it work without it bothering me too much but my wife started to complain every time we broke 5 hours on the road. I usually travel solo and the truck is great for one maybe two people but a family of four is really pushing it. I have considered moving to a larger platform but a new build isn't really in the stars at the moment.

huerta32

Observer
I did it a little over a year and a half ago. If memory serves I was running a stage one Icon at the time with my first set of 34" Trail Grapplers. When I swapped the rear end I also added the dual compression 3" rear coils, a set of 2.5" piggybacks, and extended lines.
Was the swap done as a preventative measure or did it fail?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3