Guidance Please -Adventure Bike

blatant

Adventurer
the triumph looks like they stole the 800gs and swapped the headlights. Imitation is the best form of flattery they say? the tenere would be definitely worth a thorough look.

dhally

Hammerhead
Motorcycles are an emotional purchase - get the one that trips your trigger!

The VStrom is the best compromise but just doesn't "do it" for me either.

deminimis

Explorer
Well, at first I poopoo'd the idea of the Ténéré, but after a closer look, it sure seems to have some nice features. Real nice. I mean, real, real nice. Thing is, after taking big hits time and time again by buying new, I'm probably not going to do it (buy a new bike) again. Probably going to go with the giant beast (2007.5 /newer) GSA. I have my lightweight hitters, so the GSA would nicely round out the stable (Baja, cross-country, groceries and beer runs). Once some Yamis show up in the classifieds, it might make a ton of sense for me though. Frankly, Yamis just don't need a lot of attention as opposed to their Euro counterparts, so that makes them very, very appealing to me. The two Yamis we have are about as maintenance-free as it gets. I definitely want to try out a 2011 Ténéré come Summer. The weight is comparable to the GSA, albeit a bit heavier, which surprised me (looks considerably lighter, yet the GSA is 9 pounds lighter (fully fueled) and the GSA has a two gallon larger tank). I suspect there will be some interesting shootouts comparing these two in the not so distant future.

deminimis

Explorer
Oh, although I would not call this overly helpful, it does provide a wee bit of insight regarding some of the bikes discussed here: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5d-nX4Q66A"]YouTube - R 1200 GS vs Super Tenere - ADB & Riemann go outback[/ame]

deminimis

Explorer
The more I read about the 990 Adventure, the more it seems like it might fit the bill. To clear this up, here's the elusive bike I want: I want to be able to ride the damn thing for 900 miles of interstate to Moab and when I get there, I want to be able to make the trip around the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands NP on the same bike. A GSA could easily do the 900 road miles...in a day. Further, I suspect I could do the WRT on a fully laden GSA, but there are a few sections that might get a bit too exciting. So, those are basically the parameters of the type of riding I would expect to do with this new addition. The 990 KTM, sounds, from what I've read, more capable off-road than the GSA, but less competent on-road than the GSA. See my dilemma? Hummmmmmm.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Wouldn't mind being able to run from the PNW to the bottom of Baja. But wouldn't mind being able to clumsily make my way along some basic single track as needed too.

I'm 6'2" and over 2 bills, so I'm not sure a GS 800 would have the needed umph should I decide a trip down to Texas was in order . . .

I'm just north of two bills (but far south of 6'2") -- the 800GS won't have any problems moving you around. It's geared a little low for the freeway IMO (it'll do the ton all day long -- but it's revving a lot more than it needs to). On the other end, it's geared a little high for picking your way through tough stuff off road at low speed, but it handles the typical back road and jeep trail just fine.

The suspension is typical BMW though (mushy). Stiffer springs up front and a good shock out back will transform the bike, but it sucks that you need to spend that much money to fix something so basic on such an expensive bike.

At 6'2" you might find it a bit cramped on the slab -- hell, at 5'6", I find it a bit cramped after 6 or 700 miles. It's a fun bike though . . . go test ride one (just leave your check book at home when you do).

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Your making the right decision, I'm a BMW & Triumph dealer &
Was a KTM dealer in the past. The new Tiger might be worth checking out if you haven't already pulled the trigger on your 990Adv yet, but can't give you an honest opinion yet. Also check out the 950 SE, trust me it the right bike with a few add on's. I've has 5 990/950 adv and 2 SE's and don't have a bad word to say, but the SE will make you totally happy both on the road and trail with less weight but does need a tank kit and a small screen. But if your looking more turn key rather the personalizing one deffinetly go 990 Adv and you'll never look back.
Have great time on whatever one you pick and post looks of great ride reports.
An when your coming through SLC look me up!!!
Cheers and keep the rubber side down,
Advrider
(Jamie)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk