GX vs 4Runner - is GX too "fancy" for me?

rstl99

Adventurer
I've been looking for a good 4th Gen 4Runner or GX470 for a while now. Have looked at a few local ones, just missed out on a nice 2006 4Runner Sport (single owner low miles). An 06 GX470 is arriving soon at a local car lot so will take a look at that.

I test drove a 10 year old GX and a V6 4Runner back to back a couple of weeks ago from the same dealer. The GX felt so much smoother (ride, comfort, acceleration, quiet) than the 4Runner. Of course, there was also the V8 vx V6 which made the comparison a bit unfair.

10 year old is in my price point, and here in the N-E, still have hope of not being severely rusted through underneath.

My SUV's in the past have been rather spartan (60 and 80 Series Land Cruisers, Land Rovers) so I'm thinking that a GX might be a bit too "luxurious" for my taste. I have a cottage so am always hauling stuff to and from the city, and want to explore some of the backroads in the country. Part of me feels that a 4Runner with cloth seats would be more compatible for me (I also have a fairly large black dog). No kids, no family.

The other thing about the GX is that with the more sophisticated mechanicals and electricals (air suspension, navigation system), I tell myself it's just more stuff to go wrong and cost money in repairs, in a 10 year old vehicle.

Am I silly? Should I just go for a GX and treat myself to some luxury and comfort at my age (turning 60)?

zidaro

Explorer
apples to apples would be test driving a V8 Limited 4th gen runner.
Same platform as you know. But with more glamorous accessories.
I just picked up an 08runner, was looking at the GX as a vehicle as well, bit it is just a bit boxier/taller outside, and smaller inside. Probably the main reason i opted out.
Those glamorous accessories had only a small amount of consideration as most are similar and some go away if you mod your vehicle at all. I am, however, not a fan of the height adjustable suspension
I have a dog, leather is easier to clean.

Really comes down to personal preference, condition of the vehicle and what your willing to work on to bring it up to your standards/needs, and price. 4th gen runners are a very good deal right now.

Cant wait to see what you get. Do a build thread

p nut

butter
GX's are nice vehicles. If you like it better, get it. Leather is easier to keep clean than cloth and steam cleaners do magic on dirty interior.

That said, given your circumstances, I'd just get a Tacoma.

rstl99

Adventurer
Yeah, as you say leather would likely clean better.
And I have to measure twice, measure thrice, but I have a feeling the GX may not fit as well height-wise in my garage (older house). So that may point to the 4Runner for that reason alone.
Yeah, I thought about a Tacoma, but am more comfortable with the enclosed SUV format. Loved my old 60 series LC's for that. Plus, I don't haul anything big to the cottage (ie. bikes, watersports equipment, etc.).
If I did have something big, I'd just attach a small trailer to the GX/4R and tow it.
Thanks for the thoughts!

himom

I personally own both; a 06 gx470 and a 08 4runner, both are the v8 and they are very different when off the pavement. The 4runner seems to want to leap and bounce over things where the gx more so lumbers on the same trails. My dad (about the same age as you) does not like riding or driving the 4runner on anything much rougher then forest service roads but has never complained in the gx. For what it's worth I agree you should drive a v8 limited 4runner against the gx to see which fits your needs best

Aznwolf118

also consider the slight differences even within the platform rebadging.

the 4runner has a lift gate and the gx has a swing gate.
look at the slight differences.
some after market support on armor and things might need modifications cause of the slight variances.
if i have the luxury interior of the GX i would be pissed cause my plastics are chewed up from trips and gear.

that being said, most of the gx470 should be in better condition because of the pavement queen usage.
most v8 4runners i have seen when i was looking for mines have been built or lifted or at the very least attempted to be taken off trail.

either way the 4.7 motor is rock solid with just regular maintenance, i even noticed the torque difference coming from a supercharged 3.4

rstl99

Adventurer
Well, I just went to test drive a 2011 4Runner this afternoon, and if I can get it for a good price, may go for it. It's got a more local ownership path (2 owners) than the 5 year older GX470 rolling into town any day, which has rather spotty ownership (started life in the US, moved up to Canada, seems to have had 2-3 owners up here).
SOmething to be said for a newer vehicle I suppose, and this 4Runner drove well, upgraded SR5 (leather interior, moonroof). I like the roll down rear window feature of the 4Runners.
This 4R has the V6 (I don't think V8's are available in Canada any more) but it seemed to have plenty of power for passing etc. And a bit better fuel mileage doesn't hurt. I'm not sure about 5th Gen 4R's, but the 4th Gen with V6 had selectable 2-4WD, whereas the V8 and GX are fulltime AWD. Again, might be a bit of a mileage saving there.
And one small detail that I prefer the 4Runner over the GX470: a full-sized armrest cubby tray lid, as opposed to the thin armrests on the GX.
The 4Runner also wouldn't have problems fitting in my garage height-wise, whereas the GX would be nip and tuck.
I found this 5th gen 4Runner very room inside, including the back seat. And it's nice not to have the silly 3rd row seats hanging from the cargo sides as in the GX (I know, you can remove them, but still).
Do I sound like I'm sold on the 4Runner? Maybe I am, we'll see what the price says...
(Oh and this would be a private sale, so the sales tax is half of what it would be buying the GX through the dealer - 7% instead of 13% ouch!).

p.s this 4Runner has likely never seen trail. Female owner who drove from the country to the city in it (mostly highway miles). Comes with two newish sets of Michelin tires (summer and winter). I like the package, it would suit me well (and the dog!).

birdmann

Observer
Think of it this way, the gx is a Prado with Lexus badges. So, the aftermarket is plentiful. BUT sourcing those parts may be a challenge. Where the 4th Gen has an ever growing aftermarket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

rstl99

Adventurer
Thanks Birdmann, good point. I made a deal on a 2011 4Runner today, good deal and it buys me a bit more future with it, being only 5 years old.

p nut

butter
Thanks Birdmann, good point. I made a deal on a 2011 4Runner today, good deal and it buys me a bit more future with it, being only 5 years old.

Congrats. 2011 will be a solid vehicle. I think that gen is the best looking of the 4Runner models (well, except for my old 3rd Gen sport edition :D). Have fun with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL